Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · cs6 upgrade

rprouty
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · cs6 upgrade

I just talked to a rep at Adobe and he tells me I can upgrade from cs5 to cs6 for $199.00...Is it worth the $199.00 for the upgrade

Thanks

Rod

Sep 03, 2013 at 08:19 PM
Mr Mouse
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · cs6 upgrade

If you shoot RAW ACR 8 may be worth it. I liked some of the changes other not so much. For first five month CS6 was useless was unstable and many thing were broken jusr didn't work. The updates to vector and shape support I like a lot. However the Shape stroke support at times seem odd or is broken. Did not like some of the new cursors changes. Some loved the crop tool changes others hated it and think its broke. I never user the crop tool always use rectangle marquee tool and image crop. CS6 is the buggest version of Photoshop ever. Many will never be fixed..
http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/searches?query=CS6&style=problem
http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/searches?query=cs5&style=problem
http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/searches?query=cs4&style=problem

Sep 03, 2013 at 09:52 PM
rprouty
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · cs6 upgrade

Thanks John

Sep 03, 2013 at 10:38 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · cs6 upgrade

The upgrade itself ... I didn't find it to be a significant change (demo shopping @ CS5.5 vs. CS6), and some have disliked some of the changes. The thing that is probably more compelling is that with Adobe's changes in upgrade policy to one version only ... you'll be stuck later going to FULL PURCHASE for CS7 (can't upgrade from CS5), or you'll be going to the cloud.

I've not kept up with the Adobe saga (I'm on CS6, hard disk in hand) as I'll likely not need to upgrade past that for a very long time. Capability wise, CS5 would have been fine for my needs, so CS6 is good to go as well. I came from CS3, so the jump to 64 bit was most significant more so than the diff @ 5 vs. 6.

That being said, double check my info @ upgrade policy for future versions.

Sep 03, 2013 at 10:52 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · cs6 upgrade

Currently, there's no reason to rush to upgrade CS5 to CS6. CS6 is the end of the road for stand-alone products, and Adobe is calling it a perpetual license that they will continue to support forever (well, "indefinitely"). No enhancements, just bug fixes and security updates. Plus ACR will continue to be updated for new camera releases, but no actual improvements to ACR.

There won't be a CS7. Only option after the stand-alone CS6 will be the Cloud, and that costs the same whether you are going from CS2 or CS6. (Other than maybe some special pricing for the first year for existing licensees).

Mark

Sep 04, 2013 at 04:58 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · cs6 upgrade

CS6 @ perpetual with ACR updates for cameras ... works for me, I was not aware of CS6 being officially the last one. I was just banking on it as my last one, for as long as it could be supported @ future cameras. In theory, I'm set for life ... till they change their mind again, or maybe when we hit 128 bit OS's.

Sep 04, 2013 at 05:16 AM
UCSB
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · cs6 upgrade

I am running CS6 and CS5.5 (for some plug-in support that I never migrated to CS6). It is hard to say if it is worthwhile. If you are using Lightroom for your RAW processing, it might not be worthwhile. In recent years, my reliance on Lightroom has increased and reduced the work that I do in Photoshop. But if you only use Photoshop, then it will make more sense if you want the advantage of ACR updates. In this case, you have to ask yourself if you see yourself migrating to the CC. If not, then I would think CS6 would be a reasonable upgrade. If you see yourself going to CC, then maybe just go to CC now and skip CS6.

Sep 04, 2013 at 06:19 AM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · cs6 upgrade

RustyBug wrote:
The thing that is probably more compelling is that with Adobe's changes in upgrade policy to one version only ... you'll be stuck later going to FULL PURCHASE for CS7 (can't upgrade from CS5), or you'll be going to the cloud..

There is NO CS7 and if Adobe have their way there never will be. After CS6 it's the cloud or nothing.

Sep 04, 2013 at 06:47 AM
melcat
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · cs6 upgrade

Three improvements I found over CS5:

- better performance on my Mac Pro.
- removal of longitudinal chromatic aberration in the latest version of ACR (the old one only did lateral).
- Bridge is more reliable and supports more modern metadata standards.

And two disadvantages:

- Process 2012 is the default in ACR, and there's no way to change it.
- Bridge doesn't seem to be aware of some of the new ACR 8 features and its previews don't accurately reflect what Photoshop sees when you actually open the file. (ACR 7 was what CS6 originally came with.)

(EDIT - there was a slip above, where I said "axial" instead of "lateral".)

Edited on Sep 04, 2013 at 12:27 PM · View previous versions

Sep 04, 2013 at 07:39 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · cs6 upgrade

I wasn't aware of ACR 8 ... I assume that came out in conjunction with LR5. Any significant changes from ACR 7 to ACR 8 from a CS6 perspective?

Sep 04, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

melcat
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · cs6 upgrade

RustyBug wrote:
Any significant changes from ACR 7 to ACR 8 from a CS6 perspective?

Release notes:

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2013/06/camera-raw-8-1-and-dng-converter-8-1-now-available.html

Sep 04, 2013 at 12:17 PM
Charles Loy
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · cs6 upgrade

Rod, this is interesting. I'd buy it, but Last week I spent 15 minutes on the phone with Adobe, and they refused to sell upgrade for PS5 to PS 6. That upgrade program has expired, and there was no way I could convince him to let me buy it. He pitched CC, 9.95 monthly for a year, but would not quote the price thereafter. How did you get the offer to upgrade?
I went with MetaRaw, it allows me to open the D4, (D3200 and whatever is new) on the CS5.

Sep 04, 2013 at 11:05 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · cs6 upgrade

rprouty wrote:
I just talked to a rep at Adobe and he tells me I can upgrade from cs5 to cs6 for $199.00...Is it worth the $199.00 for the upgrade

Thanks

Rod

Yes, the ACR tools that started in ACR 7 (which I'm pretty sure they locked out of CS5) are WAYYYYYYYYYY more powerful, almost like mini-HDR processing (with a very natural look) and it does automatic lateral CA removal now and it also has some options for trying to fight longitudinal CA (of course if you also happen to have purple flowers in the scene it might do 'interesting' things). And it may be the last real version you can ever get (although I think Adobe is starting to hurt, so we will see, it may depend upon how many users or not they grab with the new plan they announced today).

I actually thought they had already made it too late to upgrade to CS6 though. (if so you might find someone selling the upgrade on ebay or for sale here perhaps).

Edited on Sep 04, 2013 at 11:33 PM · View previous versions

Sep 04, 2013 at 11:27 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · cs6 upgrade

melcat wrote:
- Process 2012 is the default in ACR, and there's no way to change it.

weird, I can change it to two prior processes (not that I really ever do, maybe 1 in 2000 times?? since 2012 allows you to use such better tools)

Sep 04, 2013 at 11:30 PM
melcat
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · cs6 upgrade

skibum5 wrote:
weird, I can change it to two prior processes (not that I really ever do, maybe 1 in 2000 times?? since 2012 allows you to use such better tools)

You can change it for an image, or using the Synchronize button in ACR for a batch of images, but if you try to set it as the default for a camera you will find it doesn't stick.

See:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=76337.0

(Eric Chan is a senior Adobe engineer working on ACR, so they are aware of the beheviour.)

Sep 05, 2013 at 02:49 AM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · cs6 upgrade

Charles Loy wrote:
Rod, this is interesting. I'd buy it, but Last week I spent 15 minutes on the phone with Adobe, and they refused to sell upgrade for PS5 to PS 6. That upgrade program has expired, and there was no way I could convince him to let me buy it. He pitched CC, 9.95 monthly for a year, but would not quote the price thereafter. How did you get the offer to upgrade?
I went with MetaRaw, it allows me to open the D4, (D3200 and whatever is new) on the CS5.

That is total bull-crap on their part. They are lying to get more people on CC.

You can still buy the upgrade for $199, but only from CS5, and only from Adobe. You can even buy CS6 outright (for $699), but again only as a digital download from Adobe. Boxed sets are gone.

Here is the Adobe FAQ on CS6 perpetual licenses and upgrades:
http://www.adobe.com/products/cs6/faq.html

Scroll down to "Upgrade Eligibility, Pricing, and Purchasing Options"

You can buy the upgrade from here, but it's not obvious:
http://www.adobe.com/products/catalog/cs6._sl_id-contentfilter_sl_catalog_sl_software_sl_creativesuite6.html

Scroll down to Photoshop CS6. It looks like your only option is to Buy for $699. Click on "Buy" and a new menu opens up. Click the drop-down menu next to "I want to buy" and change "Full" to "Upgrade". Then a new line opens, and you have to select the version you currently own. As long as you are CS5, you're good, and you can add to your Cart for $199. I would login using your Adobe ID first, so they know you already have CS5.

Mark

Sep 05, 2013 at 03:28 AM
Jeffrey
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · cs6 upgrade

Without stating an opinion of whether Photoshop CC is a 'good deal' for you or anyone, Adobe announced a Photoshop CC Photographers Package that includes Lightroom 5 and is only 9.99 a month. It is supposed to become available Sept. 17.

Sep 05, 2013 at 09:34 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · cs6 upgrade

I'd take the CC photographers package over a CS5 upgrade. If within 20 months another upgrade to either Lr or Ps is released then you'll be in front financially.

Sep 07, 2013 at 10:15 AM
Erik_J
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · cs6 upgrade

Alan321 wrote:
I'd take the CC photographers package over a CS5 upgrade. If within 20 months another upgrade to either Lr or Ps is released then you'll be in front financially.

+1

Sep 07, 2013 at 02:15 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password