Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Long tele and football passing shots

finster1018
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Long tele and football passing shots

For those that are using longer telephoto lenses , I am looking to see how you manage to get good passing shots.

I have found it a huge challenge to swing my 400 toward a receiver who I am guessing is about to receive a pass. I do start out with lens on the qb then see where he is looking (with my other eye) if it's not developing into a rushing play. Even when I can manage it, I often find that lens can't focus fast enough from the QB to the reciever to capture it because the play occurs so quickly. For those who do this, how do you manage this? Are you actually following certain receivers on certain plays? Where do you prefer to place yourself relative to the line of scrimmage on obvious passing downs?

I suspect there is a little bit of luck involved, but I also think more experienced photographers know how to increase their chances in capturing a passing shot when the proper scenario arises.

Thanks for your help.

Sep 03, 2013 at 01:13 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Long tele and football passing shots

I approach it as if I'm playing safety for the defense. Like you, I'm watching the QB, and then when he winds up in a particular direction I'm quickly scanning for the receiver he likely is throwing to and doing my best to lock focus before the ball gets there. I like to be well ahead of the line of scrimmage (for this type of shot), and either the sideline or behind the end zone can work, but I do find it a bit easier when the receiver is on the side of the field opposite my position. Obviously, the longer the pass, the more time you will have to acquire focus and get the shot. Much harder for short passes (though with the short passes, you have much less ground to cover as you shift focus from QB to receiver).

Sep 03, 2013 at 01:22 PM
finster1018
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Long tele and football passing shots

Russ Isabella wrote:
I like to be well ahead of the line of scrimmage (for this type of shot), and either the sideline or behind the end zone can work, but I do find it a bit easier when the receiver is on the side of the field opposite my position.

Thanks Russ...assuming you are shooting with a 400mm, at which point do you prefer to move behind the endzone relative to facing the offense ie... relative to where the offense has the ball?

Sep 03, 2013 at 01:26 PM
bogeypro
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Long tele and football passing shots

i like shooting from the endzone with the offense approaching me

Sep 03, 2013 at 01:47 PM
finster1018
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Long tele and football passing shots

bogeypro wrote:
i like shooting from the endzone with the offense approaching me

So, no matter where the offense is on the field, you are always behind the opposite endzone?

Sep 03, 2013 at 01:49 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Long tele and football passing shots

I like to shoot from the line of scrimmage when the ball is inside the 30-yard-line (with the offense heading toward the opposite end of the field). Once the line of scrimmage moves into territory covered (on the sidelines) by the team bench area, I like to move to the other end, and I'd say by the time the ball is at the 50, I prefer to be behind the end zone. Obviously, different shooting locations allow for different kinds of shots, so I try to mix it up as well. (When the light is good, 400 + 1.4x.)

Sep 03, 2013 at 01:50 PM
finster1018
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Long tele and football passing shots

Russ Isabella wrote:
Like you, I'm watching the QB, and then when he winds up in a particular direction I'm quickly scanning for the receiver he likely is throwing to and doing my best to lock focus before the ball gets there.

...when you are scanning, I'm assuming you are scanning thru the viewfinder? I can never find a receiver that way. Perhaps you are using you free eye to find any receiver in direction of view of the Qb. I often find myself lifting my head and scanning downfield for possible targets and then going back to the viewfinder to zero'ing in on them.

Sep 03, 2013 at 02:03 PM
Fish On
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Long tele and football passing shots

I cheat.

There's one football team in our area where I know the assistant coach. I stand right beside him on every play and he tells me what's coming up, whether it's a deep pass play, a run coming my way or going the other way, a trick play...etc, so I am well prepared for the shot.

Sep 03, 2013 at 02:31 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Long tele and football passing shots

finster1018 wrote:
...when you are scanning, I'm assuming you are scanning thru the viewfinder? I can never find a receiver that way. Perhaps you are using you free eye to find any receiver in direction of view of the Qb. I often find myself lifting my head and scanning downfield for possible targets and then going back to the viewfinder to zero'ing in on them.

I'm not skilled enough to use my free eye, nor would I have any luck taking my face away from the camera and then trying to get back to it. I either get it done through the viewfinder, or I don't get it done. And here's where I disagree with your suggestion that luck is involved. There are plenty of circumstances where luck is involved in getting a great action shot, but I don't think this is one of them (unless there's a right-place, right-time element to the shot). The process we're talking about, however one chooses to do it, involves skill, persistence and experience. I'm sure I mess it up more often than I nail it, but for this kind of shot, I've never felt that luck was particularly important (again, unless we're talking about positioning, but even that involves educated choices).

Sep 03, 2013 at 02:35 PM
finster1018
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Long tele and football passing shots

Russ Isabella wrote:
I'm not skilled enough to use my free eye, nor would I have any luck taking my face away from the camera and then trying to get back to it. I either get it done through the viewfinder, or I don't get it done. And here's where I disagree with your suggestion that luck is involved...

Well I guess I could infer from your prior post that I would be lucky if I could get a shot that I am looking for by taking my face away from the viewfinder and still capturing a passing shot. In that respect, I have gotten lucky a couple times

Sep 03, 2013 at 02:52 PM
mkchang
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Long tele and football passing shots

Like Russ I stay on the QB and watch what he does. If he drops back and I can see that he's about to throw a long pass I try to see which way his body is facing and I'll pull the camera away from my face to see where he's throwing it to.

Sep 03, 2013 at 03:02 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.