New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · commercial photography prcing help

dckiteboards

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · commercial photography prcing help

I was asked to photograph a new clothing line for a customer , and I quoted her 650 half day for shooting and then 650 half day for editing. and then as far as rights go i was going to ask 75 per photo however after the half day shoot we ended up with alot of photos and if i charged them 75/photo and they want 100 its going to be way to much money for this sort of shoot.

so i was thinking a scale 0-10 $75, 10-25 $55 , 25-35 $45, 35-55 $30, 55-70 $25, 70-100 $16

something like this work.. and or should i just offer a sort of flat rate to purchase photos now outright?

Sep 03, 2013 at 12:33 PM
Langran
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · commercial photography prcing help

I can't offer advice on the pricing, it's not my field and I'm in the UK.

One thing I will say is - they hired you for a shoot and paid you without knowing how much it would cost them to be able to use the photos? Seriously what would the client do if you were a bit of an arse and turned around and said $250 per photo? I don't suggest you do that but sounds like this should have been sorted before or you could end up with a very unhappy client

Sep 03, 2013 at 10:30 PM
bbourizk
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · commercial photography prcing help

You already charged to shoot and edit.
Are the clients aware that you will charge for the use.

I can understand it you took some photos for yourself and someone saw them and wanted to use them, but if they hired you and you were paid then shouldn't they get the end result (the photos).

Maybe I'm missing something

Sep 04, 2013 at 01:54 AM
dckiteboards

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · commercial photography prcing help

I originally told her 75 per photo but after the half day of shooting it turned out to be alot of photos and im not going to charge her 75 per photo as then this job would cost 7500 plus my day rate if she picked 100 photos. I feel like that would be way to high

thats why im thinking a sliding scale .

Sep 04, 2013 at 06:09 AM
TobinJD
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · commercial photography prcing help

About half of my business is commercial photography, ranging from restaurants to clothing to product.
If you look at your sliding price scale essentially all the price brackets above 10 photos add up to roughly the same amount.
10 @ $75 = $750
25 @ $55 = $1375
35 @ $45 = $1575
55 @ $30 = $1650
70 @ $25 = $1875
100@ $16 =$1600
My advice would be that you have to many pricing brackets, 4 would be the most I would use. Also revisit your math and create a distinction between brackets, they can get 100 images for $25 more than 35?
If you had the conversation prior that the use fee would be $75 per photo I would only recommend that it is in writing. Conversations have a tendency to change based on who heard it.
A new discussion to discuss the high number of images is in order and direct communication, ask what their needs are, the question may answer itself.
I do agree $7500 is high for the use fee and a sliding scale is appropriate.
Hope my $.02 helps
Cheers

Sep 04, 2013 at 09:28 AM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · commercial photography prcing help

^ This... and:

How many images do they need?... have use for? Going from $75 per to $16 strikes me as severely devaluing your work.

You are potentially enjoying economies of scale, so perhaps (I'm not being literal and not doing the math, just suggesting a point of view):
10 @ $75
25 @ $60
50 or more @ $55

Again, they won't buy more than they need unless you make it essentially free. Why do that?

Sep 04, 2013 at 08:30 PM
dckiteboards

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · commercial photography prcing help

well she is a repeat customer as well as a freind. I made up the scale in about 10 seconds you get the idea

Sep 05, 2013 at 08:10 AM
IzzyG
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · commercial photography prcing help

I would ask how many her business needs and then go from there. Just because she has x times more options to choose from(exaggeration on my part), doesn't mean she will suddenly pick x times more to purchase. Stick with the $75 per photo. Like the other poster stated, she won't pick more than she needs unless you make it free. A sliding scale makes sense only if you're enticing her to purchase more.

Sep 05, 2013 at 04:53 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · commercial photography prcing help

I would lock in the first agreed amount of $75.00 for the number she thought would be needed. After that give a discount. You then make the same as agreed before the shoot and you come out with a little extra. Sounds like you already post processed everything so any extra would not be more work.

Sep 05, 2013 at 05:16 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.