Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Anyone using corel painter?

jzucker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone using corel painter?

I have version 12, wondering if the X3 version is worth upgrading to?

Sep 03, 2013 at 08:23 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone using corel painter?

noone?

Sep 15, 2013 at 09:47 PM
Brit-007
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone using corel painter?

If you check out Jeremy Sutton: www.paintboxtv.com he does a couple of Videos giving an insight to the new features.

Sep 17, 2013 at 02:14 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone using corel painter?

Thanks. I've been thinking about buying one of his vids. Not sure if I'll get his or someone elses'

Sep 17, 2013 at 03:24 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone using corel painter?

oh, and I bought X3. Seems a bit buggy but then painters always been buggy

Sep 17, 2013 at 03:25 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone using corel painter?

jzucker wrote:
oh, and I bought X3. Seems a bit buggy but then painters always been buggy

What's "buggy" about it?

Sep 18, 2013 at 10:54 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anyone using corel painter?

cordellwillis wrote:
What's "buggy" about it?

crashes in the middle of saving, crashes when copying a 3744x5716 image to the clipboard and attempting to navigate to another window, mis-manages the dirty flag if you escape out of a save-as dialog and then doesn't notice you have changes, allowing you to quit without prompting for save, memory and resource leaking, forcing you to quit the program periodically to allow the O/S to reclaim it's resources, etc.

Still, there are things it's brush engine does that photoshop cannot do. Sometimes I wish Adobe would just buy them!

Sep 18, 2013 at 12:19 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anyone using corel painter?

jzucker wrote:
crashes in the middle of saving, crashes when copying a 3744x5716 image to the clipboard and attempting to navigate to another window, mis-manages the dirty flag if you escape out of a save-as dialog and then doesn't notice you have changes, allowing you to quit without prompting for save, memory and resource leaking, forcing you to quit the program periodically to allow the O/S to reclaim it's resources, etc.

Still, there are things it's brush engine does that photoshop cannot do. Sometimes I wish Adobe would just buy them!

That doesn't sound buggy, that sounds unusable. I remember using Word Perfect and had to have the autosave set to 1 minute so you would not lose all your document when it decided to crash. Corel Painter sounds about the same.

Sep 18, 2013 at 01:48 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Anyone using corel painter?

chez wrote:
That doesn't sound buggy, that sounds unusable. I remember using Word Perfect and had to have the autosave set to 1 minute so you would not lose all your document when it decided to crash. Corel Painter sounds about the same.

it's not quite unusable. You have to periodically save the file to different names. Manually emulating a vax. .001, .002, .003, etc.

My biggest gripe is that I cannot copy and paste from corel painter to photoshop because after you copy and then as soon as you activate another window corel painter crashes. My take is that most folks are using it for small, web-sized images.

Still, it can do things that photoshop's brush engine just cannot do so for some things I really like it. And there are people who do large, commissioned portraits with it working with high rez images but my guess is that for paintings and particularly canvas, you don't need more than 150DPI so between that and a save-as strategy there are workarounds.

I beta tested painter at one point and there was a bug where if you saved a file to a filename longer than 80 characters it would crash in the middle of saving and corrupt your file and they did not deem that a showstopper and shipped with that in the readme file. I was pretty shocked. They do not run their shop like most professional development shops, that's for sure...

They probably don't have enough business to use common best practices in software design.

Sep 18, 2013 at 03:28 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Anyone using corel painter?

Are you on a mac or pc? I put mine thru a few torture tests (I dunno how many hours in total) and no crashes here. I'm on a mac.

Sep 22, 2013 at 05:04 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Anyone using corel painter?

pc, i think a lot of the crashes happen when using PSD output files. Here's the latest thing i found.
In Painter X3, there is mismanagement of the dirty flag as well as mismanagement of the current file name. Whenever you save a file, the software remembers your filename and subsequently it doesn't prompt for a filename unless you do a save-as. Regular save should just save over the original filename.

In Painter, it gets confused and forgets that you have already saved so when you do a file save (or in my case Ctrl-S) it is prompting for a filename even though I've already saved the file a bunch of times. Then, if I escape from that dialog, it sometimes clears the dirty flag so that if you quit, it does not prompt you to save again and you lose your changes.

Recently, I had it get confused when I was closing painter. I had already saved the file a bunch of times so it should have had a filename and I had changes pending.

1) So, it prompted me if I wanted to save. <Good so far>.
2) Then it prompted me for a filename. <Huh?!?>
3) So I double clicked on the existing filename
4) and then it prompted me to overwrite. <smirking at it but clicking [ok] to overwrite>.
5) Then it prompts me again for the filename. {went back to step 2}

And no matter what I did, it kept looping from step 2-4. Finally I cancelled and quit. And of course, I lost my changes. Yes, I could have picked a different filename I guess but this kind of nonsense is totally micky-mouse and shows a lack of concern for customer data as well as a horrendous test team or management setting the bar extremely low about what bugs are allowed to ship. Not sure which is worse but as I stated before, these types of save issues have been with the program for years.
FIX THE !@#$!@#$ SAVE ISSUES BEFORE YOU SHIP A PRODUCT.
If I can figure out how to do painted brush strokes and drawing with texture in photoshop I'll probably just dump painter...

Sep 22, 2013 at 07:41 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Anyone using corel painter?

Wow, hehe... Sounds like not much fun.

Yeah, for Painter I'm always either JPG or PNG. And then I use the flat files in PS to layer. I'll use layers in Painter but only in interim for the effect - I can't think of a time I ever saved a layered from Painter unless I was just stepping away for a moment and did so for safety or something.

Sep 23, 2013 at 11:43 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Anyone using corel painter?

Bifurcator wrote:
Wow, hehe... Sounds like not much fun.

Yeah, for Painter I'm always either JPG or PNG. And then I use the flat files in PS to layer. I'll use layers in Painter but only in interim for the effect - I can't think of a time I ever saved a layered from Painter unless I was just stepping away for a moment and did so for safety or something.

Yeah, that seems to be the consensus and sure enough, I worked yesterday for a few hours on an image in painter with just a canvas and a single "painting" layer without a crash but I'm being more careful about backing my work up with versioned filenames. sigh...

Sep 23, 2013 at 12:27 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Anyone using corel painter?

Despite all the issues, I really love the painter brushes. I'd be curious if anyone is able to get the same feel out of the photoshop brush engine. It seems that the mixer brush in combination with the captured bristle brush tips is very powerful. I haven't been able to mimic the way the brushes in painter pickup up the surface texture. I can apply texture to the brush with the photoshop brush engine but it seems to me that the dynamic range of the texture is not the same as it is in painter. Painter really does seem to have the feel of painting on a real textured surface.

Sep 23, 2013 at 12:48 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Anyone using corel painter?

Yup, the material and brush simulations are awesome and worth the price of admission for sure - true since version one. You're using a tablet with yours right? I can't imaging using Painter with a mouse - UG!

Sep 23, 2013 at 01:01 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Anyone using corel painter?

Bifurcator wrote:
Yup, the material and brush simulations are awesome and worth the price of admission for sure - true since version one. You're using a tablet with yours right? I can't imaging using Painter with a mouse - UG!

yep, intuous 5 medium. Sometimes I wonder if I'd be better off with the small but yes i've pretty much dumped the mouse for all editing though for some reason I still like it for using the pen tool and for cropping.

Sep 23, 2013 at 01:52 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Anyone using corel painter?

Ya, I get that.

I'm using the 4-XL myself. I want something even bigger actually.
I like the ability to use large sweeting strokes and also the detail rez available without having to scale up too much.

A3 work area would be nice.

Sep 24, 2013 at 05:39 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Anyone using corel painter?

Bifurcator wrote:
Ya, I get that.

I'm using the 4-XL myself. I want something even bigger actually.
I like the ability to use large sweeting strokes and also the detail rez available without having to scale up too much.

A3 work area would be nice.

the problem I have is in painting hair with the longer tablet. The strokes are so long it's hard to do a continuous sweeping line without it becoming jagged. I guess I just need to make the image smaller on screen.

Sep 24, 2013 at 06:16 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Anyone using corel painter?

Yeah, the drivers (control software) for these things... err, tablets, have gotten pretty nice in recent times. Pretty much any portion of the screen can be scaled and assigned to any area on the pad - in various on-the-fly presets.

I find that printing out a page with the different areas labeled and boxed is useful to then place on the tablet - under the clear-sheet if you have or taped in place if not.

Sep 24, 2013 at 07:34 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Anyone using corel painter?

are there any cool intuous 5 templates for painter? I have the feeling i've only tapped the bare surface...

Sep 24, 2013 at 08:21 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.