Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Driving from Seattle to Bishop in End Feb

msoomro
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Driving from Seattle to Bishop in End Feb

Hi,

Doing some very early thinking on a trip to Death Valley in End Feb 2014 time frame. Debating if I should drive from Seattle to Bishop or fly into Reno and drive from there. Looking for some feedback on this forum from who have driven those routes in these winter months. How are the road / driving conditions at that time from Winter / Snow perspective. Any particular route I should take or segments to avoid? Need snow tires/chains? My current thinking is Seattle to Sacramento via I-5 then, take US-50 to Echo lake, then 89 to Topaz and lastly 395 towards DV.

Suggestions :-)

Thanks
msoomro

Sep 02, 2013 at 09:06 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Driving from Seattle to Bishop in End Feb

I'd carry chains and/or use AWD. You can run into chain requirements on 5 in Oregon and far northern California - not necessarily likely, but possible. Highway 50 is a popular route to ski areas, so you would normally carry chains there. Your 89 route goes over Monitor Pass, which can close in winter. (In fact, it might actually close for the season - sorry, but I've never tried it in mid-winter, unlike all the other roads on your route.) In places 395 gets over 8000', so you can certainly encounter snow along that road. 395 doesn't go all the way to DEVA, so you'll most like take 190 on the final run to DEVA, though you could also go all the way south and across via Ridgecrest if conditions are rough.

The route is a bit of a tough call. If conditions aren't too bad and you are OK with some slower driving, you'll see some beautiful terrain, especially along the eastern Sierra. On the other hand, it might be easier to just go all the way down 5 and then cut east over Tehachapi Pass and then back up via Ridgecrest.

Dan

Sep 02, 2013 at 09:18 PM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Driving from Seattle to Bishop in End Feb

Thanks Dan. This is helpful indeed. I'll probably be driving a Toyota sequoia which has 4 wheel drive option. driving to Tehachapi pass and back up makes a good recommendation

Regards
Msoomro

Sep 02, 2013 at 10:27 PM
Tim Knutson
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Driving from Seattle to Bishop in End Feb

I'd just fly to Vegas, if dv is your only goal. That's a long drive.

Sep 02, 2013 at 11:09 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.