Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

CAm vs DSLR

jbrooker

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · CAm vs DSLR

I have two boys who play football and Lacrosse. I currently have a little Sony HD camcorder to film their games and eventually do a highlight video... but I am not happy with the quality of the videos and wanted to step it up. My question is this: Which would be better a Cannon XA20 Camcorder or a DSLR with Video capabilities like the Cannon D70 with a zoom lens, for what I am filming?
Note: for both sports, I film on a tripod from on top of the press box in the stadium...

Would appreciate any feedback. Thanks

Sep 03, 2013 at 01:59 AM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #2 · CAm vs DSLR

i would use a camcorder in that situation. DSLRs while good for things that you can control and set up are a pain to use in an action situation.

Sep 04, 2013 at 06:28 AM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #3 · CAm vs DSLR

Which one will have the best lens for that distance. Which will follow the focus. I know the 5DII does not have auto focus to follow a moving subject while the 5DIII does. I have not used it so cannot comment on how it works. Auto focus may be needed to film someone moving several feet away from the first focus point. Sure someone could do manual but no way I could keep up with a football game.
I have people walk into the frame and even two steps, about 18" back they are totally soft. Fine for what I am doing but not for a game video. Using 60sec shutter,24-70 lens.

Sep 04, 2013 at 07:08 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

markd61
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · CAm vs DSLR

A DSLR is appreciated for its filmic qualities owing to its large sensor. They are best used like a true motion picture camera. IOW, tripod mounted, no zooming, focus pulls for definite compositional changes that have been planned and rehearsed.
They are nearly useless for sports or most action that requires follow-focus and smooth zooming.

Micky is correct in saying you need a better video camera. They were purpose built to do what you want to do.

Sep 05, 2013 at 02:27 AM
Hammy
• • • •
p.1 #5 · CAm vs DSLR

"Top of press box in stadium"

Like top of the bleachers, top of the press box?

From that distance, there is not a whole lot of AF going on! If the lighting is decent and/or ISO capable, set the DSLR to manual focus with the expected f/stop to get the field in focus and proper ISO to maintain exposure. (remember that video exposure is usually 1/60th, so it's a pretty generous exposure to allow for lower ISO and higher DOF.)

Otherwise, I think the main factor in buying is what you're trying to convince yourself of? Do you want a DSLR or a video camera. Do you have other purposes for either? IMO, both will work, with the DSLR being more versatile for the photo end.
However, if you want closeups - as others have mentioned, most DSLR's will not be up to the task of AF'ing with sports action (I don't know about the new 70D's capabilities)

Sep 05, 2013 at 04:30 PM
markd61
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · CAm vs DSLR

Didn't see that last bit about "Top of the Stadium"
Yes, then a whole lot easier but still might want to choose a video camera.

1/60 of a second is selected for the film like rendition of motion. You can set the shutter speed a lot higher if you wish and get more action-stopping per frame at the expense of the "film-like" quality.
You could also capture 60fps.

Sep 06, 2013 at 04:22 AM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password