Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Upcoming trip to New York City

keoni068
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Upcoming trip to New York City

Greetings all,

I have returned from my trip to NYC, having only brought my 5D III and 24-105. The "IS" proved vital, as I quickly fell in love with the motion and commotion of New York and its people. Here are some snaps that I was able to process.

Thanks again for your advice!

Edited on Oct 16, 2013 at 06:57 AM · View previous versions

Sep 03, 2013 at 01:13 AM
robstein
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Upcoming trip to New York City

Good for your company actually doing training - a pet peeve of mine with my current company :-/ Just bring the 24-105 and start figuring out how much of the conference you can skip Start the important tasks of prioritizing what your going to do.....

Sep 03, 2013 at 01:24 AM
jeffslov

p.1 #3 · Upcoming trip to New York City

+1 for the 5D3/24-105 combo. Times Square is quite bright at night, you won't need the extra stop there.

I recommend walking the High Line - great views of the city, architecture, street views, some interesting gardens and artwork, and good people watching too. It's worth it to walk it in both directions, rather than one way - you really do see different things.

Sep 03, 2013 at 01:51 AM
keoni068
• •
p.1 #4 · Upcoming trip to New York City

Thanks for the input! Here's an unexpected curveball. A Sony NEX 5n kit was just posted on my local Craigslist for $300. The notion of picking this up crossed my mind, as it would obviously be much lighter. Knowing that I'm focusing on scenery, would this be a wiser choice?

Sep 03, 2013 at 02:11 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Upcoming trip to New York City

keoni068 wrote:
My company is sending me to New York City for a conference in October, which I am extremely excited about as this will be my first time there. I don't get to travel often, thus I would like to make the most out of this trip. I have decided that I will be bringing my 5D III, but I am stumped as to which lenses to bring. My main goal is landscapes/scenery.

With that said:

I own a 24-105 and 24-70, and I have been going back and forth between the advantages of IS vs the extra stop for night shots
...Show more

I'd probably carry the 24-105 - which I have shot with in Manhattan - for the IS and the greater reach.

Dan

Sep 03, 2013 at 02:20 AM
timpdx
• • •
p.1 #6 · Upcoming trip to New York City

The Sony NEX5 is an amazing little camera. and the sensor is probably one of the best crop sensors made, IMO. I loved mine until some thugs in Uruguay jumped me and relieved me of my NEX5n. For my style of shooting in a city , the 18-55 kit would not be wide enough in NYC. otherwise, it really is a decent piece of glass.

Sep 03, 2013 at 05:01 AM
AmbientMike
• • •
p.1 #7 · Upcoming trip to New York City

24-105 covers most of it. Call B+H or Adorama and try to rent 16-35. Don't think I used it on ff but on crop used 75-300 Tamron, excellent to 200 or so.

Sep 03, 2013 at 05:24 AM
saneproduction
• • •
p.1 #8 · Upcoming trip to New York City

24-105 for sure. If you want super wide pick up a samyang 1. It is also nice to have a fast 50

Sep 03, 2013 at 05:44 AM
marcosv

p.1 #9 · Upcoming trip to New York City

I've done two trips to Manhattan in the last 10 months. Did the first trip with the 24-105L and the 2nd with my new 24-70L II on my 5D3.

I agree with the other posters: 24-105L over 24-70L for size, weight, reach, and IS.

The two lens I used the most was my standard zoom and my 17-40. Lots of opportunity to use ultra wides.

Longer lens comes in handy if you go to the top of the Empire State building or take a boat ride. Firs trip I lugged my 70-200/2.8L IS II w/ 2x TC around. The 2nd trip, I brought my m43 setup for telephoto.

Most important factor for me was keeping my camera bag light enough so that I can lug it around all day and small enough that I can keep it with me when attending a Broadway show.

If you don't have an ultra wide handy, consider dropping by B&H or Adorama while you are in NYC and picking something up. You could always go cheap and buy a Rokinon 14/2.8. I did on my last trip and walked from B&H to Times Square and started shooting.

Sep 03, 2013 at 08:29 PM
keoni068
• •
p.1 #10 · Upcoming trip to New York City

Thanks for all your input fellow FMers!

The 24-105 seems like the overwhelming choice. Now, to purchase a wide angle or not? Is 24 enough or do I really need to purchase and lug around an additional 17-40 or 14?

Any more thoughts?

Sep 03, 2013 at 09:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

StarNut
• • •
p.1 #11 · Upcoming trip to New York City

The answer to your questions lies as much in your own style/taste as it does in the things there are to shoot in that magnificent city.

I was very happy with the 5D3/24-105 when I went there a year ago. The only time I took my 16-35 II out of the bag was to take a photo of Central Park from our hotel room window (and I preferred the version of the same scene I shot at 88mm with the 24-105, and stitched together). YMMV

I second the recommendation to walk the High Line; it's very interesting, and provides some interesting photo opportunities.

Mark

Sep 03, 2013 at 09:29 PM
allstarimaging
• • •
p.1 #12 · Upcoming trip to New York City

I was just in NYC a week ago and based on what you want to shoot the 24mm may not be wide enough. I travelled very light with just a Fuji XE-1 and shot mostly with the Fuji 14mm 2.8 that provides a 21mm focal length on the crop sensor. I would suggest you rent something wider than your 24mm. When I went out to shoot I brought just the XE-1 and the 14 2.8 or my X100 and I just looked for opportunities in that focal range. Here are a few samples with the 14 2.8 (21mm focal) to give you an idea of what you can get. Also there is so much light in TImes Square at night that you should be able to pop up the ISO and shoot handheld with no issues. Have a safe and good trip.
Jack

X-E1    XF14mmF2.8 R lens    14mm    f/4.5    1/55s    1000 ISO    -0.3 EV  

X-E1    XF14mmF2.8 R lens    14mm    f/2.8    1/70s    2000 ISO    -0.3 EV  

X-E1    XF14mmF2.8 R lens    14mm    f/4.0    1/30s    2000 ISO    -0.3 EV  

X-E1    XF14mmF2.8 R lens    14mm    f/8.0    1/40s    1000 ISO    0.0 EV  

Sep 03, 2013 at 09:57 PM
Sjjindra
• • •
p.1 #13 · Upcoming trip to New York City

I took a 6 day trip to NYC back in May. Asked a similar question and recieved many excellent comments and suggestions (see thread below). I mainly walked 10-12 hours a day and primarily carried my 5DIII and 35 1.4. It was amazing how heavy they became. Used NEX 5N with 50 F1.8 the last 2 days for some relief to my back.

If I went again I would take/get the following:

-EOS-M with 22MM F2 and 18-55 or NEX 5N with kit lense (I just can't make myself like the Sony interface). Your back will thank you.
-More comfortable shoes. Shoes that are comfortable for 1/2 mile walk are not necessarilly comfortable for 8-10 miles in a day. Your feet will thank you.
-Get a $30 1-week Metro Pass for subway and bus system and maps. Great system.
-Get hotel in Manhattan. I did and was glad I did.

Love the delicatessen sandwiches and pizza from small grocery stores (but always ask price of chips, beer, etc. before grabbing if not priced - can save $1-$2 each time).

Enjoy variety of people and sites.

Steve

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1202408/0

Sep 03, 2013 at 10:37 PM
EyeBrock
• • •
p.1 #14 · Upcoming trip to New York City

I did NYC 2 years ago with 24-105/35L/200/100/16-35/50L.

If I had to do it again I'd just take the 16-35 and the 50L and maybe the 35F2 IS which replaced my 35L. The F2 IS is just so light and has IS.

My best shots were with the 16-35, but watch the corners! Those city canyons do like wide, very wide.

Sep 03, 2013 at 11:01 PM
keoni068
• •
p.1 #15 · Upcoming trip to New York City

Very nice images Jack.

Thanks Steve and EyeBrock for the great information!

Sep 03, 2013 at 11:55 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · Upcoming trip to New York City

I earlier wrote that I would take the 24-105 if I were carrying the 5D3 to New York City and only going to take one lens. That's what I've done in the past when my shooting was general stuff. (I've carried other gear when I was there to shoot particular things that required somewhat more specialized gear.) The 24-105 goes wide enough for most stuff, works well in low light in that it has IS, and goes long enough for most shooting as well.

The next time I go I'm pretty sure I'll leave the full frame Canon at home and take my Fujifilm X-E1 system that I used on a recent three week visit to the UK, Germany, and Austria.

Dan

Sep 04, 2013 at 03:39 AM
arnold1
• • •
p.1 #17 · Upcoming trip to New York City

The two lenses you have are the best in the city in my opinion. The 16-35 will only be good if you were on a boat taking pictures of the city from the water. October is a great time to be in the city. Enjoy your trip!

Sep 04, 2013 at 03:57 AM
MazeRunner
• • •
p.1 #18 · Upcoming trip to New York City

24-105. This is a native New Yorker telling you this. That and with a 70-200 with a 2.0 teleconverter and a tripod if you want to get photos of things you usually wouldn't be able to otherwise.

Whatever you do, don't bother with those tourist passes and stuff. They're really overhyped and overpriced. Buying an unlimited Metrocard for the duration of your stay would be best. If you really wanted to see everything, taking the city bus and just getting off and walking around is cheap enough. Trains run quick and it's not hard to find someone who'll give you directions also.

A few sights that I would suggest:
- Times Square
- Grand Central
- Fifth Avenue and Madison Avenue (optional)
- Lincoln Center (walkable to Central Park)
- Central Park + AOL Time Warner Center @ Columbus Circle (SW corner of Central Park)
- Chinatown (the one in Manhattan)
- Herald Square and K-Town (basically next to each other)
- Meatpacking & High-Line (walk by the clubs for former, latter is quite romantic if you have a date)

Optional (Got tons of time or have a really knowledgeable local with a car on a weekend? Hit some of these up!):
- Empire State Building (express pass, skip the lines... skip that NY Skyride--huge waste of money)
- Union Square (14th St./Broadway)
- Riverside Park
- MoMA, Museum of Natural History, Guggenheim (if you have tons of time)
- World Trade Center (tons of tourists, wouldn't bother showing my relatives there)
- Bronx Zoo
- Botanical Gardens
- Brooklyn Bridge Park (love this at night)

There are a few more I don't really share unless you've seen all of the above.

Oh, and definitely be wary of panhandlers and pickpockets. Seriously. Don't look too much like a tourist. Better to look like a local photog who knows what he's doing.

Edited on Sep 04, 2013 at 04:05 AM · View previous versions

Sep 04, 2013 at 04:02 AM
arnold1
• • •
p.1 #19 · Upcoming trip to New York City

If you are going to the Bronx zoo (which by the way is very nice), then perhaps a longer lens like 70-200 will be very handy.

Sep 04, 2013 at 04:02 AM
MazeRunner
• • •
p.1 #20 · Upcoming trip to New York City

arnold1 wrote:
If you are going to the Bronx zoo (which by the way is very nice), then perhaps a longer lens like 70-200 will be very handy.

Yeah, with the Bronx Zoo, the 70-200's great. Can bring a 1.5 or 1.7 teleconverter too if you want. But don't expect to get great photos of the tiger they have or the peacocks. Too many people crowding the few spots where they are visible... and the glass is waterstained too (for the tiger enclosure). Peacocks take forever to turn towards humans in that zoo. Must know that a lot of flashes pop when they turn that way. =(

Sep 04, 2013 at 04:07 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password