Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2nd bodies question.

rprouty
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · 2nd bodies question.

My wife and I each have a 5DIII and share the following lenses, 15 f/2.8, 16-35 II, 24-70 II, 70-200 f/2.8 II,
400 f/5.6, 400 DO, 500 f/4 series 1, 800 f/5.6, and a couple of 1.4X III extenders. We considering getting second or backup bodies.
We're considering a couple of 6Ds or 70Ds but have never held or seen either of them. Looking for suggestions, pros and cons, of going either way.
Most of our photography will consist of wildlife and landscapes.
How would and identical images taken using the 800 with the 5DIII and 1.4XIII compare to an image taken with the 70D and 800?
In advance I appreciate and advise and recommendations.

Rod

Sep 02, 2013 at 03:09 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · 2nd bodies question.

I really like the 6D. It replaced a 5DII. I use it with and sometimes instead of my 1DX and 1DIV, depending on what I'm doing. I figure a pair of 6D would be the second best set of "second bodies", second only to two more 5DIII. I can't offer any comments on the 70D.

Sep 02, 2013 at 03:24 PM
rprouty
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · 2nd bodies question.

Thanks Jim.

Sep 02, 2013 at 03:26 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • •
p.1 #4 · 2nd bodies question.

Lots of tradeoffs; you could go either way depending on if you are looking for reach, video AF, or spare FF. Maybe one of each since you are considering two bodies? Or maybe one additional 5D3 to share when needed? You know how it will behave.

I have compared my 5D3 + 1.4x2 to the 7D using my 100-400. I don't know if this experience relates to the greater whites but I found the only IQ hit to be a loss of contrast with the extender. The 5D3 still had a noise and color accuracy edge over the 7D despite needing to be an ISO stop higher. The 7D has outer cross type AF points active where the 5D3 does not, 8 vs 6 fps, and the 5D3 rig is 3/4 lb heavier. Don't know how the 7D compares to the 70D which is not extensively reviewed yet.

Sep 02, 2013 at 03:30 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · 2nd bodies question.

I have 7d, 5diii, and 5dii. My main camera is 5diii with 7d for reach in some circumstances and 5dii as backup to 5diii.

I think the 5diii is the best available landscape camera. The 6d might be a smidge better iq in some areas but not such that you would notice and the focus/fps on 5diii is so much better. If you want a backup, my view is not to get the 6d as backup but get the 5dii (cheaper and almost as good) and wait for the 5div with 40mpx, so you have less regret capital. Canon must respond soon ? to d800, and then you will want it.

My view is that the 7d would be better than 70d, if you want to complement the 5diii. 7d uses cf and gets better burst performance, better fps, better weather sealing and similar iq. 5diii is better in almost every way than 70d or 7d except 2fps and reach. However, when you need reach in good light the 7d will provide it. The best available reach is 7d or 1div (but not same batteries and heavier and hard to find).

So I vote for 7d and 5dii for reach and backup, respectively.

Sep 03, 2013 at 01:11 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · 2nd bodies question.

I would get one of each, 6D and 70D, and see which gets the most use. You might be surprised how much you like the crop sensor for some subjects, or when you want the lightest weight. The touch screen and other features might open up new opportunities as well!

If you are curious, follow your inclination. But don't rule out the 6D, as Jim C says.

Sep 03, 2013 at 01:49 PM
ebiggs
• •
p.1 #7 · 2nd bodies question.

Boy with all that superb equipment, I would certainly go for a couple 7D's. The 7D and the 5D Mk III are nearly the same body and will operate nearly the same. No fumbling with new controls.
A 6D and a 70D? They are totally different cameras. How can you compare them?
If it is the extra reach you want that the 7D has, remember it is the more "pro" body and the 70D is still more "Rebelish".

Sep 03, 2013 at 04:56 PM
mikesjo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · 2nd bodies question.

I'd get a 6D to go with the 5dmk3. Image quality is the same and it focuses better in the dark. The wifi is a cool option on the 6D as well. I have both and the 6D is my backup/low light body.

Sep 10, 2013 at 07:14 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · 2nd bodies question.

Rod , with that lens set why are not shooting a 1Dx?

I started typing that as a joke but actually I started thinking it for real .
Get a 1Dx and use the 5D3 as backup . And maybe if your wife won't like the size then get a 6D as well .(you were considering a backup for both of you right? ) that way you have most bases covered

Sep 10, 2013 at 08:37 PM
dhachey
• •
p.1 #10 · 2nd bodies question.

jcolwell wrote:
I really like the 6D. It replaced a 5DII. I use it with and sometimes instead of my 1DX and 1DIV, depending on what I'm doing. I figure a pair of 6D would be the second best set of "second bodies", second only to two more 5DIII. I can't offer any comments on the 70D.

I too have a 6D to compliment the 5DIII (tried the 1D X, but too heavy and overkill for my needs). Image quality is very decent , but not up to 5DIII standards. The body feels too xxD-like to me, but overall makes a good backup body. Autofocus isn't up to xD standards. WiFi and built-in GPS are great and very useful.

Sep 10, 2013 at 08:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · 2nd bodies question.

In good light up to say ISO 800, the 7D + 800 vs 5D III + 800 + 1.4 would be very close, with edge going to 5D III. After that the balance swings to the 5D III and it's usable at least two stops lower ISO IMO.

I'd take a 70D over the 7D as it looks to be a bit cleaner at high ISO, have better shadow noise, obviously a bit more reach, and the bonus of the wonderful new dual pixel AF. Luckily it supports the UHS-I for SD cards so write speeds and RAW buffer are good and 7fps vs 8fps is no big deal. However it does lose the very useful spot AF mode (shame Canon, shame) and zone AF mode.

No point having a 6D IMO if you already have a 5D III. My other choice would be a 1D IV.

Sep 11, 2013 at 03:48 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #12 · 2nd bodies question.

rprouty wrote:
Most of our photography will consist of wildlife and landscapes... Rod

If you feel the need for an immediate purchase I wouldn't touch anything other than the 6D.

If you are personally leaning toward a 7D or 70D, and can or can't wait, I would buy a used 7D cheaply and keep an eye out for the 7D2.

Sep 11, 2013 at 04:22 AM
Gyroscope
• • •
p.1 #13 · 2nd bodies question.

I have 3 bodies. 5D3, 5D2 and 7D. The 7D goes much better with the 5D3 as it feels similar, has almost the same buttons etc and is like the 5D3's little brother. The AF is good if not stellar and image quality is really good although not in the 5D3's league. On your long lenses it will be useful for that extra 'focal length' (mine gets used mostly for bird photography). Best of all these camera's are really cheap now especially second hand.

Sep 11, 2013 at 03:08 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · 2nd bodies question.

It seems apparent you are looking for a smaller camera profile as the secondary camera, not a hulking Hulk like the 1DX. Yes?

Thinking about this for a week or so, I've revised me opinion. I think the 70D would be your best choice.

The 70D at 1.6X magnification/sensor will have an advantage in reach over the 1.4X extender, and should also have a slightly better (or at least equal) IQ as the 5D3 + 1.4X.

From initial reports/specs, the 70D is much closer to the processor and sensor improvements of the 5D3. In comparison, the 7D is quite old by sensor and Digic standards. Also, your menu controls and choices are going to be more in line with the 5D3 if you choose the 70D. Tilting screen and WiFi are cool additions!

A 7D2 would be a great choice, if and when it arrives. But you will lose the smaller body profile and add some weight.

Good luck choosing!

Sep 11, 2013 at 03:31 PM
iammikie
• •
p.1 #15 · 2nd bodies question.

While I was never a fan of any of the copies of the 7D that I owned over the years, I love the 70D as the files are much cleaner, and it is a lightweight and inexpensive backup. My main bodies are 1DX, however the 70D sure has a place in my lineup. I am using it with the 200-400 and 600II, no issues with af speed or frame rate.

Sep 11, 2013 at 03:47 PM
gocolts
• • •
p.1 #16 · 2nd bodies question.

7D would make a great back-up (or primary) wildlife body.
6D would make a great back-up (or primary) landscape body.

I'd get one of each. (Oh wait, I did! ).

However, if you plan to do any extensive video work, the 70D should be a serious consideration.

Sep 11, 2013 at 06:55 PM
garyvot
• • • •
p.1 #17 · 2nd bodies question.

ebiggs wrote:
If it is the extra reach you want that the 7D has, remember it is the more "pro" body and the 70D is still more "Rebelish".

Except that the 70D has lower noise, higher resolution, is demonstrably sharper at the pixel level and may focus more consistently based on some early reports. I certainly wouldn't discount it so quickly, particularly as the 7D is getting long in the tooth.

Sep 13, 2013 at 03:35 PM
danb121
• •
p.1 #18 · 2nd bodies question.

garyvot wrote:
Except that the 70D has lower noise, higher resolution, is demonstrably sharper at the pixel level and may focus more consistently based on some early reports. I certainly wouldn't discount it so quickly, particularly as the 7D is getting long in the tooth.

I agree... given the choice I'd plump for a 70D over a 7D.

People were saying the same things when comparing the 6D to the 5D2... it's not pro this and not pro that, but at the end of the day the 6D still produces beautiful pictures...

Sep 13, 2013 at 03:59 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · 2nd bodies question.

I had an interesting thought yesterday. Interesting to me anyway!

We've all read the new changes in the CPS program, right?

You might recall the bit about the 60D, and all future XXD models being excluded from calculation or professional gear status for CPS membership.

Well, that got me thinking. . . Canon has always allowed APS-C bodies to qualify for CPS membership, since the first D30. This is the first time that has changed and the intermediate tier is not longer accepted.

What it made me wonder, and I'm not trying to start any rumor or pass one on, is that it means the 7D is the only valid APS-C body for consideration of pro gear status. I don't think Canon would make that bold inference about an old model like the 7D, so that leads me to believe a 7D2 release is imminent. I don't think I'm the only one to have this though cross their mind.

Doesn't that seem plausible, following the release of the M, SL1, and now the improved 70D? It's like Canon saying, "Hey, here's this new really cool 70D, but so sorry! You can't use it to qualify points for CPS -- only CPS repair discount." How/why would they do that without a solution in the wings, especially with all the courting of cinema and videographers for CPS? The 7D has been a mainstay of video, but it's quite outdated and needing video refreshment.

Doesn't Photokina come up pretty soon?

Just a thought that rattle through my head.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled thread. . .

Sep 13, 2013 at 04:04 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password