Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Canon 35F2 IS

wgman02

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Canon 35F2 IS

Good Morn, I brought S35 1.4I was happy with lens in all area's except my copy Vignetts really bad ..even at 5.6. I'm sending it back & had planned on getting another copy ! Now I see Canon 35 F2 Is is 599 as of now. Does anyone in Cyberland use the Canon 25 F2 Is & can you tell me if its Sharp wide -open , Colors , Focus Etc. Etc......Thanks

Sep 02, 2013 at 01:05 PM
Massimo Foti
• •
p.1 #2 · Canon 35F2 IS

Got the lens one month ago. I have used it on a few sessions and I am super happy about it. That was expected since I like the 24 mm 2.8 IS too.

Here are two samples from the same session. Nothing artistic here, but I think it shows the lens can deliver:

T-55 AM2 B by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

Tiger by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

More samples on the dedicated group on Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/canon35mm_is_usm/pool/50450677@N05/

Sep 02, 2013 at 01:12 PM
wgman02

p.1 #3 · Canon 35F2 IS

Thanks for Reply I had already saw these on Flicr. Are you sa with the build of this lens? Do you shoot wide -open or stop down to 2.2 to achieve sharp images?Do you have trouble with Vignetting ?...Thanks

Sep 02, 2013 at 02:12 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Canon 35F2 IS

wgman02 wrote:
Good Morn, I bought 35 1.4L was happy with lens in all areas except my copy vignettes really bad ..even at 5.6. I'm sending it back & had planned on getting another copy !...

Vignetting is a result of optical design. You won't notice any copy to copy variation.

Sep 02, 2013 at 02:35 PM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #5 · Canon 35F2 IS

wgman02, what camera are you using?

Sep 02, 2013 at 02:45 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

wgman02

p.1 #6 · Canon 35F2 IS

5Dc & 6D....Ocassionally 1D Mark II

Sep 02, 2013 at 03:23 PM
Massimo Foti
• •
p.1 #7 · Canon 35F2 IS

wgman02 wrote:
Thanks for Reply I had already saw these on Flicr. Are you sa with the build of this lens? Do you shoot wide -open or stop down to 2.2 to achieve sharp images?Do you have trouble with Vignetting ?...Thanks

Build is okay, just like others, non-L primes I am familiar with (24 and 28 IS, 60 macro).

With those large artifacts, 2.0 may result in a too thin DOF, so I may shot wide-open only if light is very poor, I haven't been in such a situation yet.

I haven't seen any relevant vignetting, but usually, due to the nature of my subjects, I don't care that much about corners.

Personally I went with this lens because for my applications a IS is worth more than f/1.4 and I appreciate the weight saving too.

Sorry I can't help more than that.

Sep 02, 2013 at 03:54 PM
Massimo Foti
• •
p.1 #8 · Canon 35F2 IS

Got the chance to use the lens during an event this last weekend:

Pz 61 M-77526 by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

Renault FT-17 by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

Sep 09, 2013 at 06:28 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Canon 35F2 IS

The link/review below might help, look for the section titled 'Falloff (darkened corners)', to see vignetting; it's near the middle of the review. Ken usually includes 'gray' card testing in many of his lens reviews; in this case he also used the 5D3.

TDP 'The-Digital-Picture' also has info on vignetting; a chart, it's link is below as well and it lets you choose additional lenses to check their particular vignetting issues also.

Hope this helps!
Jerry

KR - Canon 35mm f/2 IS
http://kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/35mm-is.htm

KR - 'Falloff'
http://kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/35mm-is.htm#fo

TDP - Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM Lens VignettingVignetting Test Chart Help
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Lens-Vignetting-Test-Results.aspx?Lens=824

Sep 09, 2013 at 12:50 PM
garyvot
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Canon 35F2 IS

I just tested this lens yesterday on a 1DX. It's got fantastic color and sharpness even wide open on this body. I will probably buy one soon.

It does vignette noticeably on full frame up till about f/4 or so. This is a pretty common characteristic in fast lenses, particularly wide angles.

However, today's RAW software makes it easy to correct for this. And Canon's newer cameras will correct JPEGs automatically in the camera, if you prefer.

If you shoot people, as I do, you may come to like the light falloff, as it can add to the artistic effect in some shots.

Sep 09, 2013 at 01:40 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password