Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Any FoCal users?

hatch1921
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Any FoCal users?

If so, would you mind sharing your thoughts about the program and how well it worked to get your adjustments just right?

Sig 50 is due in soon... would like to MA it possibly with FoCal.

Thanks,
Hatch

Sep 02, 2013 at 06:06 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Any FoCal users?

I do
thoughts: works pretty good. I use it as a tool of reference
define just right? I find most focusing errors are user induced. I have also found, at least with my lenses, that they are pretty much spot on.

other comments about users/photographers I will set aside on understanding their tools.

Sep 02, 2013 at 12:34 PM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.1 #3 · Any FoCal users?

If so, would you mind sharing your thoughts about the program and how well it worked to get your adjustments just right?

When I purchased a used 5D II, I set-up MA on all my lenses with Focal. It was buggy at the time but I got through most of the issues by searching the forums and finding out what other users did to resolve them. I also found that most of the lenses didn't require too much adjustment except for my 70-200 f2.8. I knew it was out of whack soon after I bought it and Focal confirmed it as it required a plus 12 or some such nonsense. Now it focuses very well though so I'm happy.

Sep 02, 2013 at 05:23 PM
hatch1921
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Any FoCal users?

Thanks for the info.

@ SJMS "just right" as in were you able to dial in the camera to the lenses? I use lens align and I'm curious to find out if this approach/program would be more precise/accurate.

Thanks again for the info.
Hatch

Sep 02, 2013 at 07:34 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Any FoCal users?

Hey Hatch,
not sure if you saw this

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1187279/0?keyword=focal#11321499

Sep 02, 2013 at 07:43 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Any FoCal users?

found that the lenses I had really didn't need to be dialed in enough to actually matter.

but to answer your question it is yes. if follows through your micro adjust feature from end to end and simply calculates to optimum value

it is explained on the site using the various methods
http://www.reikan.co.uk/focalweb/index.php/tests/

Sep 02, 2013 at 07:49 PM
hatch1921
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Any FoCal users?

Sunny Sra wrote:
Hey Hatch,
not sure if you saw this

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1187279/0?keyword=focal#11321499

Thank you Sunny. I did a search for FoCal and it didn't turn up much....should have searched a little more

Thanks again.
Hatch

Sep 02, 2013 at 08:53 PM
hatch1921
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Any FoCal users?

sjms wrote:
found that the lenses I had really didn't need to be dialed in enough to actually matter.

but to answer your question it is yes. if follows through your micro adjust feature from end to end and simply calculates to optimum value

it is explained on the site using the various methods
http://www.reikan.co.uk/focalweb/index.php/tests/

Thanks again.
Hatch

Sep 02, 2013 at 08:54 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Any FoCal users?

I have it and have used it to calibrate a 50D, 1DS-mk3 and 5d3. It works pretty good but like others have said had a few bugs. All my lenses and cameras benefited from it, but the 5D3 less than the older cameras.

Now I hardly ever use AF (in that mode) for landscape use with my 5d3 (sold the others). Live view focus is so much better for landscapes and as far as I know does not require calibration.

Sep 03, 2013 at 02:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

gwaww
• •
p.1 #10 · Any FoCal users?

I have it and like it a lot. Bright lighting is best. I've mounted the Focal target to a board and put a 1/4" thread insert on the bottom and then put it on a second tripod which is placed on my driveway in bright light. I stay in the garage with my camera and laptop in the shade. This works very well with long lenses. You can use the software at any distance.

Sep 03, 2013 at 05:43 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Any FoCal users?

The only problem I've had with FoCal is user-induced; you must make sure the light is consistent for the duration of your test. I spent the better part of an hour shooting some tests only to find out that the light had changed enough over the duration of the test to wildly throw off the results.

Other than that, it's a nice way to get some objective data about lens tuning.

Sep 05, 2013 at 02:10 PM
Erik_J
• •
p.1 #12 · Any FoCal users?

The software is rather good. Just make sure that you have good light when testing.
it's also a big plus that you can use it to see the how many pics the shutter have done

Sep 14, 2013 at 01:31 PM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Any FoCal users?

Before you go with FoCal (and yes i have it and was able to successfully MA my equip), I would check into the DOT-TUNE method described here in another thread. Very simple and between the two, I think it works quite well and nothing to purchase.

Sep 15, 2013 at 01:06 AM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Any FoCal users?

I used FoCal heavily when I shot Canon. It worked pretty well.

Now that I switched to Nikon, I don't need it. Not sure why that would be?

Sep 16, 2013 at 03:44 PM
shooter00

p.1 #15 · Any FoCal users?

mco_970 wrote:
I used FoCal heavily when I shot Canon. It worked pretty well.

Now that I switched to Nikon, I don't need it. Not sure why that would be?

With all the left focus and green screen issues you see posted all over the net on the D800 it'll take more than Focal to fix em...

Sep 17, 2013 at 02:13 AM
dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Any FoCal users?

I used focal and it worked fine with a few quirks.
The biggest advice I needed and see time and time again is you need good light on the target (ie put a diffuse spotlight on it). Also for long lenses, make sure shutter speed is about 1/focalLength. The pro version will allow you to adjust iso so you can achieve target shutter speed for any telephoto lenses.
Lately I have used the green dot thing which has a large thread here on FM. This works fine and is faster.

Sep 17, 2013 at 12:34 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · Any FoCal users?

shooter00 wrote:
With all the left focus and green screen issues you see posted all over the net on the D800 it'll take more than Focal to fix em...

My worst left side focus issues were on a 5D3. And it got returned, I would not insult my dog by calling that 5D3 a real dog.

Sep 19, 2013 at 12:50 AM
shooter00

p.1 #18 · Any FoCal users?

A dog is a dog no matter what breed it is....

Sep 19, 2013 at 01:12 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password