New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Canon 16-35mm F/2.8L II lens

lovinglife
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 16-35mm F/2.8L II lens

I know this is an old toothed lens, which I have never owned until now because of all the mediocre comments I've read over the years.

But.. I just got a new one for my 6D and I have not been happier.. The thing is amazing - colors, sharpness etc.
Haven't done any technical testing (and i don't plan to) but it has definitely exceeded my expectations.
Just wanted to put this out, in case someone was looking for a wide angle for the Canon's--dont be dissuaded by negative online comments about this lens!!! Rendering is superb...

And mine has been stuck on the 16mm position till now

Sep 01, 2013 at 11:52 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 16-35mm F/2.8L II lens

Its an excellent lens. It gets a bad rap because it is somewhat soft in the very corners. Crop the image about 10% and that "fault" is gone. Performance is best at around f5.6-f8.

Sep 02, 2013 at 12:02 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 16-35mm F/2.8L II lens

I agree! A very useful lens. I've gotten some great photos with it, even wide open.

Enjoy!

Sep 02, 2013 at 12:56 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 16-35mm F/2.8L II lens

Wait, old toothed? Negative reviews?

The mk2 version always got pretty highly reviewed given the aperture and focal lengths covered. I see it as peas in a pod with the 24-70: mk1 versions had quite a bit of variability, from soft and a mess to prime-sharp; the mk2 versions are almost universally praised.

Sure, the mk2 isn't as legendary as the Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8, but it's also much easier to use in a lot of ways, and almost surely a much, much, more useful focal range for most people, and a damn fine performer.

Sep 02, 2013 at 01:47 AM
tonytastic
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 16-35mm F/2.8L II lens

I've never heard complaints about the 16-35mm mark II, that said... my 17-40 F4 was soft as hell in the corners... it was quite disgusting. Once I've upgraded, it was pretty much a night and day difference.

Enjoy the new camera!

Sep 02, 2013 at 02:20 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 16-35mm F/2.8L II lens

It's a lens for telling stories, and damned hard to use well.

I hated my 24-70, yet I think I hate this more. It makes me think - unlike my Sigma 35 f1.4.

Thing is I'll never sell it as I did my 24-70 - it's far too useful.

Sep 02, 2013 at 02:37 AM
lovinglife
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 16-35mm F/2.8L II lens

Thanks for all the feedback.. I think this may wind up being my favorite lens.
Funny thing is from what I've shot do far it also seems to be the sharpest.

Sep 02, 2013 at 03:12 AM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 16-35mm F/2.8L II lens

It has strong field curvature at the wide end (like an arc shape). If doing 'tests' against a flat target, the extreme corners won't be sharp. If doing real world shots with depth (rooms, landscapes) in them, the corners can be very sharp. But this is also depending on where focus is placed and what aperture is used. It is a great lens, but it takes some experience and time to get the best out of it. It matches the TSE17mm in the center and extreme corners at medium apertures when used properly IMHO. The TSE17mm has better resolution in the mid areas of the frame, because it has way less field curvature than the 16-36L II @ 16mm.

Besides that, the 16-35L II is a killer lens for events. The center is sharp and it has images with a 'pop' to them.

Sep 02, 2013 at 04:27 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 16-35mm F/2.8L II lens

Daan B wrote:
The center is sharp and it has images with a 'pop' to them.

I totally agree.

Sep 02, 2013 at 05:21 AM
cineski
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 16-35mm F/2.8L II lens

The 16-35II is a phenomenal lens. It's definitely not perfect and could use a mark III update if they can bring it up to par with the 24-70II. The focal length is very useful and it's optically great. As for field curvature, that's definitely the case but I also find when I try to correct for it in LR I actually prefer the image with no correction. It's makes the far corners look much more natural with the distortion than without it. I'm finding myself only using vignette control in LR with this lens now. While I would love it if Canon could figure out how to get a mm or two extra on the wide end, having 35mm on the narrow end is perfect and I would not want any loss from that end. A 15-35 f/2.8L would be awesome and probably quite doable with today's technology.

Sep 02, 2013 at 09:48 AM
Bones74
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 16-35mm F/2.8L II lens

If I was really concerned about edge sharpness I'd use mine from 18-20mm. Then it was great right across the frame from about f/5.6 onwards. It's a good lens.

Sep 02, 2013 at 09:55 AM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 16-35mm F/2.8L II lens

cineski wrote:
The 16-35II is a phenomenal lens. It's definitely not perfect and could use a mark III update if they can bring it up to par with the 24-70II. The focal length is very useful and it's optically great. As for field curvature, that's definitely the case but I also find when I try to correct for it in LR I actually prefer the image with no correction. It's makes the far corners look much more natural with the distortion than without it. I'm finding myself only using vignette control in LR with this lens now. While I would love it
...Show more
You're describing distortion, not field curvature, which is a curve in the plane of sharp focus. Most commonly the point of sharpest focus curves inward toward the edges of the field of view (in relation to the perfectly flat "wall" that would be in focus with a perfectly corrected lens). Field curvature cannot be corrected in PP, while distortion can.

I agree that some subjects shot with some lenses look best with distortion left alone.

Sep 02, 2013 at 10:01 AM
kevindar
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 16-35mm F/2.8L II lens

the most popular and commonly used PJ lens. the most used wide angle event lens. it has great central sharpness (apc-s circle), and a bit more, 2.8 through out zoom range. it has great color and contrast, fast af, good flare resistance, fantastic star burst, weather sealed. it take filters it as very good to the corners stopped down with peak performance between 18 to about 24 mm.
It is not a match for 24-70II or 70-200 II in terms of wide open corner performance, but it is much harder to design ultrawides. the Nikon 14-24 gets around this by essentially being a medium format lens (much like the ts lenses) with a larger image circle, and also convex front element, which makes it bigger, heavier, and very flare prone, and I own both.
16-35II is indeed a fantastic lens. enjoy your lens and camera

Sep 02, 2013 at 11:02 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon 16-35mm F/2.8L II lens

kevindar wrote:
the most popular and commonly used PJ lens. the most used wide angle event lens. it has great central sharpness (apc-s circle), and a bit more, 2.8 through out zoom range. it has great color and contrast, fast af, good flare resistance, fantastic star burst, weather sealed. it take filters it as very good to the corners stopped down with peak performance between 18 to about 24 mm.
It is not a match for 24-70II or 70-200 II in terms of wide open corner performance, but it is much harder to design ultrawides. the Nikon 14-24 gets around this by essentially
...Show more

I agree, I had and hated the 17-40 for soft edges and corners that Canon never could fix. My 16-35mk2 had to be returned for decentering but that was fixed and now I love it. I use it in preference to my 17TSE unless I need to shift.

The 17 is slightly sharper, but I am terrible at manual focus and I get good focus more often with the 16-35.

Sep 02, 2013 at 11:08 AM
alexdi
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon 16-35mm F/2.8L II lens

The only people unhappy with this lens pixel-peep stopped-down landscapes. For events, it's without peer.

Sep 02, 2013 at 03:58 PM
lovinglife
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon 16-35mm F/2.8L II lens

alexdi wrote:
The only people unhappy with this lens pixel-peep stopped-down landscapes. For events, it's without peer.

Yes..but stopped down its excellent!

Sep 02, 2013 at 04:11 PM
kezeka
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon 16-35mm F/2.8L II lens

I have only used the mkII briefly and never the mkI but have heard much bitching about both being less than stellar lenses from press photographers that I have met on the road. That said, it is a supremely necessary lens when one is in a tight space.

Sep 02, 2013 at 05:24 PM
KFG1
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon 16-35mm F/2.8L II lens

I bought the 16-35L ll new right after it's release in 2007, and it's been my number one landscape lens ever since. Highly recommended

Sep 02, 2013 at 05:31 PM
alexdi
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon 16-35mm F/2.8L II lens

I think it's a great landscape lens. It's just not as good as the 14mm primes and the 14-24. We've really become spoiled.

Sep 02, 2013 at 05:34 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon 16-35mm F/2.8L II lens

I don't know how anyone could say this isn't an outstanding lens!?

All hand held -- CPL on outdoor shots, PP and some straightening in LR4.

Edited on Sep 02, 2013 at 07:31 PM · View previous versions

Sep 02, 2013 at 05:39 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.