FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Question for 1Dx owners

acjd
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Question for 1Dx owners

Kolor-Pikker wrote:
"What is acceptable" is not only a factor of the technical side, but also the subject itself, for example I've shot photos that for aesthetic reasons aren't sharp anywhere in the frame; a print like that could easily be huge in size even if shot at a fairly low resolution. A good example of this is portraiture.

With stuff like landscapes, people want to see detail standing with their noses up to the print, which is why sometimes 20, 30 or even 40mp isn't enough for those who want to print big, but also see every tiny little grain of sand
...Show more

These are excellent points, particularly about the type pif paper, things I didn't take into consideration

Much appreciated

Sep 02, 2013 at 01:05 PM
acjd
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Question for 1Dx owners

Sneakyracer wrote:
Hi, given great technique (low iso) and glass I would say around 8mp should be plenty. I have printed very good 16x20's from 4mp files (not cropped, the cameras was 4mp) but I would not count on such a low number.

Thank you. Good feedback

Sep 02, 2013 at 01:06 PM
acjd
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Question for 1Dx owners

Photon wrote:
+1
Once certain assumptions have been made, we can offer guidelines that should "work" for a particular situation. A lot of good examples have already been put in this thread. Going forward, though, it pays to try things out for yourself. To avoid the expense of making a lot of large prints, you can make small prints of sections of a large image, then view those from a distance that the final large print might be examined.

Trial and error. I wish. Time time times...

Sep 02, 2013 at 01:08 PM
acjd
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Question for 1Dx owners

Tim Kuhn wrote:
Hmm, I have an answer that will appear to be a smartass answer but it isn't meant in that manner.

You can crop a 1dx file down a higher percentage of its pixels that other Canon bodies.

To satisfy yourself maybe borrow/rent one and play around with some of the files We all have different tolerances of what is acceptable.

Tim

That's a reasonable answer and everything is subjective.

Thanks Tim

Sep 02, 2013 at 01:09 PM
acjd
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Question for 1Dx owners

Imagemaster wrote:
Those happen to be your interpretations of those two words. What is acceptable or normal to you, is not necessarily acceptable or normal to others.

Many people have found that 16x20 prints made from a 4mp images are acceptable to them when viewed at their normal viewing distance.

I was asked what was acceptable and answered. Yes, everything is subjective. Well, actually no it isn't. I said good enough resolution so that a normal eye cannot see finer detail. There is a reason why the iPhone retina resolution is greater than the ipad which is greater than the 15 inch macbookpro. And so forth when 4K monitors become common. If ur eye cannot resolve the detail, the resolution no longer matters. So, companies can and do produce products to satisfy most people. You can put a number on it to handle 99% of people.

Sep 02, 2013 at 01:15 PM
acjd
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Question for 1Dx owners

Bmetcan wrote:
Not 1DX specific but maybe this will help. Check out the megapixel to print chart.

http://www.westcoastimaging.com/wci/page/info/FAQ/faqprintlab.html

Good chart. But what if you upsize the file with something like Genuine Fractals?

Sep 02, 2013 at 01:17 PM
Kolor-Pikker
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Question for 1Dx owners

acjd wrote:
Good chart. But what if you upsize the file with something like Genuine Fractals?

I use Alien Skin Blow up!, but the point is, you should always resize your image to, say, 360ppi for Epson printers before printing. If you are printing and the dialog says something like 296ppi or 167ppi, you're doing it wrong, the print driver resizing algorithms are sh-t, if they even do anything at all.

This is what complicates matters, the real question is: how acceptable will my print look after I ran it through a resizing plugin? The reality is, a whole f---ing lot. As a poster said early on, if your original shot is TACK SHARP up close (good focus, fast shutter, et al.), it can stand an impressive amount of resizing, depending on subject of course.

If you own or intend to buy a 1Dx but are having doubts about how big it can print compared to say a 5D3, well 4MP difference is peanuts, worst case it will amount to 4 inches print size difference on a huge print, like if the prints 24" minimum. even then you'll be looking for it.

Sep 02, 2013 at 02:56 PM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Question for 1Dx owners

Kolor-Pikker wrote:
but the point is, you should always resize your image to, say, 360ppi for Epson printers before printing. If you are printing and the dialog says something like 296ppi or 167ppi, you're doing it wrong, the print driver resizing algorithms are sh-t, if they even do anything at all.

I can confirm this, at least for the Epson 3800. The resizing algorithm in the printer driver is Nearest Neighbor. This can easily be tested with some test print patterns. If "Finest detail" is checked in the print setup quality options, the driver reszies to 720 ppi, otherwise to 360 ppi. If you print borderless, it resizes to some odd resolution figure in the vicinity, like 370 or 741 ppi.

Sep 02, 2013 at 03:05 PM
Kolor-Pikker
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Question for 1Dx owners

alundeb wrote:
I can confirm this, at least for the Epson 3800. The resizing algorithm in the printer driver is Nearest Neighbor. This can easily be tested with some test print patterns. If "Finest detail" is checked in the print setup quality options, the driver reszies to 720 ppi, otherwise to 360 ppi. If you print borderless, it resizes to some odd resolution figure in the vicinity, like 370 or 741 ppi.

You must also set "Photo RPM" under print quality settings to ensure 720ppi, it's what lays down ink at 5760x1440dpi instead of 2880x1440. This is the amount of dots per inch the printer will lay on the paper, and it doesn't entirely correlate to ppi, but I suppose it's a good indicator. In most cases, Photo RPM is just a waste of ink as there is no practical reason to demand that amount of resolution from the printer unless printing vector graphics.

Sep 02, 2013 at 03:20 PM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Question for 1Dx owners

I am not sure that a higher resolution uses more ink, that would also alter the print density.

I use 720 ppi in the driver when I interpolate from a resolution below 240 ppi. I find conventional interpolation algorithms to work well up to about 1.5 X enlargement. When the image is interpolated to 240 ppi and I print with the driver set at what gives 720, the NN algorithm gets an exact factor of 3 to work with, and the result is sharp and without artifacts.

Sep 02, 2013 at 03:30 PM
Kolor-Pikker
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Question for 1Dx owners

Yes, the print quality setting actually alters the ink density, and finest detail unlocks 720ppi input vs. 360 ppi. You can tell because changing print quality alters the time it takes for a print to come out, which means the print head has to make more or less passes to lay down ink.

It can't improve the 1440 dpi horizontal resolution (printer width), because that's dependent on nozzle spacing, but it can use stepper motors to shift the paper slower to increase vertical resolution, or vice-verse.

Sep 02, 2013 at 03:46 PM
acjd
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Question for 1Dx owners

Kolor and alundeb

All your comments make sense and I appreciate your expertise. I think I got my answer. Looks good to me

Thank you very much for taking the time to explain it to me

Sep 02, 2013 at 04:21 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.