FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2013 · Five Rubys of a Kind!

Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Five Rubys of a Kind!

The back story.

For the last several years, I have been shooting hummers with a Canon IS f2.8 and a 20mm ET. After getting back from my puffin trip, I spent weeks going thru my puffin shots. I went out to shoot as always but my hummers wouldn't come close. My hummers forgot who I was

On this hummer shoot in August, I tried something I had never done before, use my 500mm with a 1.4TC. The major problem I had was losing focus because I had to move the camera more as the hummers moved from flower to flower. Needless to say I came away with some "purty" good shots.

My old Epson printer "ain't" what she used to be so, I took some images to get printed at an upscale family owned photo store. Talking to a knowledgeable source at the store, I said I always shoot wild life in RAW (the images not me ) and convert to Jpeg. He told me by converting to TIFF from RAW significantly less data would be lost. I took his word for it and the last 2-days have been going back to my RAW files and reprocessing some images to TIFF.

Needless to say, after converting the TIFF files to Jpeg for the web, I believe I see a noticeable difference. Maybe I need some new glasses.

Posting 5-images. The first image was posted here a week ago (RAW to JPEG to web). The last four have not been previously posted here (RAW to TIFF to web).

If this is correct, It only took me 8-years to learn it.

CC PLEASE.

UT

AKA: Ted

1. Previously posted

Sep 01, 2013 at 03:14 PM
douter
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Five Rubys of a Kind!

A wonderful set Ted!
Douglas

Sep 01, 2013 at 03:27 PM
acjd
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Five Rubys of a Kind!

Ted

Your pictures look good

About .tiff. Tiff files are huge because you lose no data. .jpg files are compressed, the amount of compression is based upon what you set. If the compression is too great, you will see artifacts. The greater the compression, the more data is lost. The less the compression, the more data is saved but the bigger the file.

If you are going to print, you want ALL the data. The printer can see more colors, I believe, than most monitors. Save in .tiff. Here is where it gets confusing. If you now want to display on the web, you always save as .jpg and throw data away. You don't get something for nothing.

It's also more complicated than that. You want everything from camera to monitor to printer to be in the same colorspace. I would ask in the printer forum.

Bottom line. It doesn't matter. Since you're converting to jpg for the web, it is what it is. To print, you want all the data. Save in tiff.

That is how I understand it, but, of course, I could be wrong.

Btw -puffins ... cool nice ...

Sep 01, 2013 at 03:30 PM
BeeBalm
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Five Rubys of a Kind!

Hi Ted,

The last one is my pick because of the clean background, good detail in the body and the wings being forward!

BeeBalm

Sep 01, 2013 at 03:55 PM
canon.eos30d
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Five Rubys of a Kind!

Wonderful images, Ted

-Tam

Sep 01, 2013 at 03:57 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Five Rubys of a Kind!

Super work Ted

Morris

Sep 01, 2013 at 04:26 PM
naturesmoments
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Five Rubys of a Kind!

A beautiful set of images Ted!!!!!

Sep 01, 2013 at 04:30 PM
dorian
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Five Rubys of a Kind!

these are all great ted. particularly 4 and 5 for me. i do not know much so feel free to tell me i am full of you-know-what, but i post my images as jpegs and print them as tiffs - i print very few, just the absolute best. this seems to give me good results.

dorian

Sep 01, 2013 at 04:30 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Five Rubys of a Kind!

I don't think I can notice much difference in any of my web saved image weather it comes from a Tiff or Jpeg file. Different story for printing
Anyway whatever you do it works as these look very good. Very nice colors and fine detail
Socrate

Sep 01, 2013 at 05:12 PM
sritri
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Five Rubys of a Kind!

A wonderful set Ted!

Sep 01, 2013 at 05:47 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Five Rubys of a Kind!

very nice Ted

Sep 01, 2013 at 06:12 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Five Rubys of a Kind!

Beauties Ted. #5 is my fave. Lovely shot.

Sep 01, 2013 at 07:44 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Five Rubys of a Kind!

I don't convert RAW to tiff Ted, RAW to jpeg for posting here is how I have done it. Funny thing, I have never printed a single image I have taken

I will say without doubt that you found something in this posting that is excellent, images #3 .4 and #5 are some of your very best for WB and sharpness and a certain purity. For me #1 and #2 have a bit too much yellow in them.

Rock on UT, you are my hummer hero!
Karl

Sep 01, 2013 at 08:04 PM
psharvic
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Five Rubys of a Kind!

All nice but 5 for me too, Ted. Nice job.

Sep 01, 2013 at 08:22 PM
thedutt
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Five Rubys of a Kind!

Superb images Ted, thanks for sharing.

Sep 01, 2013 at 08:33 PM
Reeftank1
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Five Rubys of a Kind!

@Ted,

What Karl said! Amen.

Brian

Sep 02, 2013 at 12:38 AM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Five Rubys of a Kind!

Fantastic set Ted !!!

Birdie

Sep 02, 2013 at 01:07 AM
Herb Houghton
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Five Rubys of a Kind!

Great set of hummers as usual Ted. I don't think the details of the TIFF comes into play unless you print. I cannot see a difference on my monitor, but I'm sure I could on a print. Did you compare the file size of the tiff-jpeg and the raw-jpeg ? If the TIFF-jpeg is a much larger file, I would think it holds more detailed info.

Sep 02, 2013 at 07:41 AM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Five Rubys of a Kind!

Very nice work UT, these are some of the best hummers I have seen you post IMHO.

As for TIFF/JPEG. If you are going to process your RAW files after conversion (such as in PS) then TIFF is the way to go until you are done processing. Then convert to jpeg and reduce the file size. You won't always see the difference in processed for web jpeg but often you will, more in the colors and shadows than anything else.

Tim

Sep 02, 2013 at 09:17 AM
Riknik

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Five Rubys of a Kind!

Wonderful, inspiring set Ted. I tried shooting hummers (with camera) for first time a month ago and barely got snapshots suitable for sharing with friends at 640 x 480 resolution! Love all but particularly #'s 4 & 5 for catching pilots landing gear up and locked.

Concur with Tim and others, for printing, PP in RAW, save in TIFF and print.

Rick

Sep 02, 2013 at 10:57 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.