Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Help with solid background - Using Aperture

testudo123

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help with solid background - Using Aperture

This is my first attempt at using a solid background. It's in my garage with natural light coming in through the door. What could I do in post processing to get the background whiter? I'm using Aperture.

Thank you.

Sep 01, 2013 at 07:19 PM
mike.way
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help with solid background - Using Aperture

In the colors panel, select a color then using the eye dropper select the solid background. Use the luminance and saturation sliders to adjust it as you like.

Hope this helps,
Mike

Sep 11, 2013 at 04:14 PM
goosemang
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help with solid background - Using Aperture

the only problem is that if the colors appear elsewhere in the print you may end up adjusting something you want to leave alone. you could mask it in LR, but wouldn't get the level of control for the mask that you want. i think it's really an issue for photoshop, unfortunately

very nice photo, by the way.

Sep 17, 2013 at 07:25 PM
OntheRez
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help with solid background - Using Aperture

NIce pix of two very attractive people. I'm guessing they're related to you, if so congratulations. I particularly like how you caught the light and color in the boy's eyes. Aperture (I used it for 5 years before recently going to LR though I wonder if it was a good move) doesn't really have the layer or precise selection tools that Ps has. It (and Lr) were never designed to do such things.

You note that you want to "get the background whiter." Given how much white is in the foreground I'm wondering what you hope to accomplish by doing that. Taking the background whiter will reduce how your subjects stand out. I'd be wanting to go the other way and give the eyes, facial contrast, and light/dark borders more prominence and differentiation, more saturation. It's a good pix. It doesn't "pop" as much as it could, but I wouldn't be concerned with background. I used the NIK plugs regularly in Aperture and I could see where they could be helpful here. I found (and still find) Viveza to be very useful in emphasizing parts of an image.

Actually there are lots of ways to go with a photo like this so I'd suggest a lot of experimentation.

Robert

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:06 PM
jimmy462
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Help with solid background - Using Aperture

testudo123 wrote:
This is my first attempt at using a solid background. It's in my garage with natural light coming in through the door. What could I do in post processing to get the background whiter? I'm using Aperture.

Thank you.

Hi testudo,

Lightening parts of an image (dodging) in Aperture 3 can be accomplished by either brushing in where you'd like to Dodge the image or, if you're looking to make selective color adjustments, brushing in those adjustments. Describing these procedures step-by-step would be tedious, best to just watch someone show you how it's done...

Using Brushes in Aperture 3 - YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2TwpVxlkzs

...the brush techniques are all non-destructive, editable, and even reversible, and (as demonstrated in the video tutorial) they solve the problem of universal color shifts that goosemang mentions.

That these techniques prove insufficient for your needs there are several developers, like NIK, Topaz, OnOne, etc. providing masking plugins for Aperture 3. No need to throw your money away with the borrow-ware/rentware offerings from Adobe, IMHO.

I hope this helps!
Jimmy G

Sep 18, 2013 at 02:27 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password