Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Hendrik, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Best Place for Inexpensive Drum Scans

Policar

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Best Place for Inexpensive Drum Scans

I want to try getting some film drum scanned. Any recommendations? 4x5 just one or two shots.

Sep 01, 2013 at 06:08 PM
chez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Best Place for Inexpensive Drum Scans

Try these guys out.

http://cheapdrumscanning.com/

Sep 01, 2013 at 07:33 PM
Policar

p.1 #3 · Best Place for Inexpensive Drum Scans

Looks great, but I'd rather try somewhere in the US.

That said, if there are no similar places here, I'll go for it.

Sep 01, 2013 at 11:05 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Best Place for Inexpensive Drum Scans

Policar wrote:
Looks great, but I'd rather try somewhere in the US.

That said, if there are no similar places here, I'll go for it.

Really no difference shipping your negatives across town or to the other side of the globe. Give them a try...you'll be happy.

Sep 01, 2013 at 11:44 PM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Best Place for Inexpensive Drum Scans

I'd offer to do them, here in L.A., but I'm going to be tied up for at least the next two or three weeks. There is most definitely a difference in who does your scans and how they're done and not all drum scanners are created equal. I probably wouldn't use the term inexpensive and drum in the same sentence. It's a time consuming, hands on process that is as much artisan as craftsman.

Sep 02, 2013 at 03:40 AM
Policar

p.1 #6 · Best Place for Inexpensive Drum Scans

Thanks, and Peter, I don't really need anything scanned any time soon, I'm mostly just curious to see how the drum scan compares with the Nikon 9000 (on multipass, with glass carriers), which is what I currently use for 120 slide film (and what I plan to use with my 6X12 back). Maybe I'll wait until I have more photos worth scanning, even.

What makes the process so difficult? I have local access to a Imacon and Nikon 9000, and both seem easy to use, but obviously produce worse results.

Nice porfolio, btw. Really very impressive.

Sep 11, 2013 at 05:11 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Policar

p.1 #7 · Best Place for Inexpensive Drum Scans

Thanks, and Peter, I don't really need anything scanned any time soon, I'm mostly just curious to see how the drum scan compares with the Nikon 9000 (on multipass, with glass carriers), which is what I currently use for 120 slide film (and what I plan to use with my 6X12 back). Maybe I'll wait until I have more photos worth scanning, even.

What makes the process so difficult? I have local access to a Imacon and Nikon 9000, and both seem easy to use, but obviously produce worse results.

Policar

p.1 #8 · Best Place for Inexpensive Drum Scans

Jeffrey
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Best Place for Inexpensive Drum Scans

Never heard of a cheap drum scan. For those, I simply use my v500 flatbed scanner. It's about as good as a low grade drum. When your image is worthy, get the best drum scan you can. Why would you use film and go through all that work to then get a poor scan. (I'm coming from a 4x5 shooters perspective).

Sep 11, 2013 at 08:37 PM
campyone
• •
p.1 #10 · Best Place for Inexpensive Drum Scans

If you care enough about the photograph to have a drum scan made why go for the cheapest? If you want one of the best contact Lenny Eiger, http://www.eigerphoto.com/about_ep.php. He isn't inexpensive but IMHO he's one of the best around. I've also heard good things about West Coast Imaging in Oakhurst, CA but I've never used them. Finally, there's a guy named Danny Burk who I've also seen recommended. He may be less expensive than the other two. www.dannyburk.com. Of course you can Google all three of these to see what others have to say.

Sep 11, 2013 at 08:45 PM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Best Place for Inexpensive Drum Scans

The who of who is doing the scanning is probably even more important than the hardware doing the scan. It takes years to develop the right feel to get the most out both your scanner and your film.

I'm home recovering from major surgery (bi-lateral TKR) but should be back in the studio in a couple of weeks, maybe less. I'd be more than happy to talk to you on the phone and maybe let you know more about the process. My pricing is very flexible and depends on many factors, including whether it's a color transparency, color neg or black and white neg, but also include things like how long your film has been sitting in files getting dust embedded into the emulsion. One scan or fifty makes a huge difference too. The price of drum scanning supplies has really shot up in the last few years. Just for example - a one inch roll of what looks like normal scotch type tape is now around forty dollars.

Peter

Sep 12, 2013 at 05:20 AM
timparkin
• • •
p.1 #12 · Best Place for Inexpensive Drum Scans

The domain says "cheapdrumscanning" but I'd be happy to see my scans alongside anything out there. People are right about the person being important but the right scanner for the job is critical too. E.g. I can show you a flatbed scanner that will beat nearly every drum scanner on the market - but only for 35mm negative (and 120 neg uf you don't mind stitching). I own six hi-end scanners and more importantly I know which ones are good at what. Another example - the highest resolution drum scanner doesn't have the highest d-max. The highest Dmax scanner is actually quite noisy and a lower Dmax scanner can actually produce better shadow recovery.

I'm happy to do a test scan and would be interested to compare scans too. Apologies if thisnsounds like self promotion. To balance things up I know Lenny Eiger and he produces very nice scans indeed.

Sep 21, 2013 at 12:06 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password