Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

  

Pocket Tripod Recommendations
  
 
nburwell
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Pocket Tripod Recommendations


Next week, I will be departing on a weeklong Caribbean cruise. While I will be bringing my Manfrotto tripod, I was also thinking about purchasing a small, pocket tripod for my 5DIII + 24-105mm which I could take with me when I go on the beach without having to lug my full size tripod.

The RRS TFA-01 pocket pod is really intriguing, but it's $100, and I don't really want to spend that much. So with that said, I'm looking for a pocket pod which is durable, will work with my RRS BH-40 ballhead, and is under $100.

Thanks in advance for any and all recommendations.

-Nick



Sep 01, 2013 at 05:33 PM
sjms
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Pocket Tripod Recommendations


that's not a happy tool for me. here is a rare event when and where I suggest the Kirk option.

http://www.kirkphoto.com/Mini-Table-Top-Tripod.html. all you need is a 3/8-16 to 1/4-24 insert. I use it with either my BH30 or BH40 w/o issue.



Sep 01, 2013 at 09:37 PM
Gochugogi
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Pocket Tripod Recommendations


nburwell wrote:
Next week, I will be departing on a weeklong Caribbean cruise. While I will be bringing my Manfrotto tripod, I was also thinking about purchasing a small, pocket tripod for my 5DIII + 24-105mm which I could take with me when I go on the beach without having to lug my full size tripod.

The RRS TFA-01 pocket pod is really intriguing, but it's $100, and I don't really want to spend that much. So with that said, I'm looking for a pocket pod which is durable, will work with my RRS BH-40 ballhead, and is under $100.

Thanks in
...Show more

Plus you need a sturdy head. If you plan to shoot vertical, you'll want an L-plate as the 5D3/24-105 will topple most mini pods if you use the drop slot. None of the stock tabletop pods I've seen will hold a 5D3/24-105 worth a darn. I can easily see spending upwards of $200 for a head and legs sturdy enough for the job.

I already had a small Gitzo ball head (G1077M) left over from a travel tripod a couple 1" clamps. So I bought a set of Manfrotto 209 legs and mounted the Gitzo head and Kirk clamp on it. I wanted it for my M43 gear and it works like a dream with my Oly E-P3 and Pany GX1, both of which have L-plates. I tried my 5D2/24-105 on it and it worked fine for horizontals but verticals are impossible without an L-plate. As configured it's very easy to stick in my back pocket or leave in a bag. If I was mainly planning to use it for FF, I'd probably spring for the Kirk or RRS legs. The 209 is fine for M43 but is borderline for FF.






Sep 01, 2013 at 11:24 PM
sjms
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Pocket Tripod Recommendations


the Kirk with the BH40 and a lightweight setup on it




  X20    11mm    f/7.1    1/2s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  




Sep 02, 2013 at 03:00 AM
nburwell
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Pocket Tripod Recommendations


Gochugogi wrote:
Plus you need a sturdy head. If you plan to shoot vertical, you'll want an L-plate as the 5D3/24-105 will topple most mini pods if you use the drop slot. None of the stock tabletop pods I've seen will hold a 5D3/24-105 worth a darn. I can easily see spending upwards of $200 for a head and legs sturdy enough for the job.

I already had a small Gitzo ball head (G1077M) left over from a travel tripod a couple 1" clamps. So I bought a set of Manfrotto 209 legs and mounted the Gitzo head and Kirk clamp on it.
...Show more

I appreciate the recommendation. I do have a RRS L-plate on my 5DIII. So I'm wondering if my RRS BH-40 ballhead and L-plate on my 5DIII would suffice with the Manfrotto 209 legs. I like that the Manfrotto is $25 since I really don't know how often I will use the compact tripod anyway.

-Nick



Sep 02, 2013 at 02:52 PM
sjms
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · Pocket Tripod Recommendations


it will go on but will also require the same adaption as the Kirk as I believe it too has the 1/4" stud

this is a Giottos version of the Manfrotto. twin sons of different mothers. I prefer the wing nut type tightening on the base






  X20    12mm    f/10.0    1/8s    3200 ISO    0.0 EV  




Sep 02, 2013 at 03:19 PM
nburwell
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · Pocket Tripod Recommendations


sjms wrote:
it will go on but will also require the same adaption as the Kirk as I believe it too has the 1/4" stud

this is a Giottos version of the Manfrotto. twin sons of different mothers. I prefer the wing nut type tightening on the base



This set-up looks perfect! What is the model number of the Giottos tripod?

-Nick



Sep 02, 2013 at 04:15 PM
Gochugogi
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · Pocket Tripod Recommendations


I have the Giottos QU500B too. It's nice but I prefer the Manfrotto 209 as it has a 3/8" stud (no adapter needed for most heads), folds more compact (narrower) and is a wee bit better made. The Giottos gives you a choice of gray or black whereas the Manfrotto only comes in black. Both have terrible little foot pads that manage to fall off almost immediately. I cut off three wee pieces of closed foam tubing and squeezed them on for a more grippy foothold.


Sep 02, 2013 at 06:04 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



sjms
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · Pocket Tripod Recommendations


there were and is for me when I got it. it directly fit my leica ballhead both being 1/4-20. very easy to go up and darn hard to go down in size. I A/B compared them at B&H no real world diff in construction and use except the giottos has a wider base too hence the larger folded size. both are approx. the same price.

the foot pads were irrelevant

I do believe in versatility

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/512856-REG/Giottos_QU500B_QU_500B_Mini_Tabletop.html




Sep 02, 2013 at 06:23 PM
Gochugogi
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · Pocket Tripod Recommendations


The black Giottos QU500B--the one I have--has a rough finish which I find unpleasant and the legs are really stiff so watch your fingernails. I mainly use it and the 209 to hold mics or flash units and, for said purpose they work equally well. The Manfrotto is a more handsome and smooth working unit and, if I were to do it again, I'd probably buy two of the 209B and skip the QU500B. The thick foam tubing added to the feet doesn't just make for a better grip, but significantly reduces vibration into the mic.


Sep 02, 2013 at 07:01 PM
sjms
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · Pocket Tripod Recommendations


I use a pad if needed. it is amazing how useful free mouse pads can be. I have a whole kit for that. a few schoeps, senneheisers, trams from the old days.

haven't chipped a fingernail yet. since it doesn't fold as tight as the M. I can easily get fingers in to open.

taste is important of course. I don't know though, the giottos does match the Gitzo paint scheme. I, myself, use RRS and should have thought about that in matching black. but I do have 2 500B's

I do stand corrected on the stud, the Manfrotto does have the 3/8-16. and that's why I didn't end up getting it.






  X20    14mm    f/8.0    1/1s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  




Sep 02, 2013 at 07:34 PM
nburwell
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · Pocket Tripod Recommendations


Gochugogi wrote:
The black Giottos QU500B--the one I have--has a rough finish which I find unpleasant and the legs are really stiff so watch your fingernails. I mainly use it and the 209 to hold mics or flash units and, for said purpose they work equally well. The Manfrotto is a more handsome and smooth working unit and, if I were to do it again, I'd probably buy two of the 209B and skip the QU500B. The thick foam tubing added to the feet doesn't just make for a better grip, but significantly reduces vibration into the mic.


Ok, so this might be a stupid question. I purchased this exact tripod from B&H. I received it a day before I was to leave for vacation, only to find that my BH-40 ballhead doesn't screw into the thread. I'm assuming I will need to purchase a smaller ballhead so it works with the Giottos?

-Nick



Sep 18, 2013 at 01:34 PM
sjms
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · Pocket Tripod Recommendations


was the thread smaller on the tripod or on the head?



Sep 18, 2013 at 02:01 PM
Gochugogi
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · Pocket Tripod Recommendations


nburwell wrote:
Ok, so this might be a stupid question. I purchased this exact tripod from B&H. I received it a day before I was to leave for vacation, only to find that my BH-40 ballhead doesn't screw into the thread. I'm assuming I will need to purchase a smaller ballhead so it works with the Giottos?

-Nick


One of the reasons the Giottos wasn't my first pick: the 1/4" thread doesn't fit any of of my heads whereas the Manfrotto does. But no biggie, you can buy a 1/4" to 3/4" thread adapter. I've got a drawer full of them and a new one is 1 or 2 bucks. If you want a really beefy one, you could buy the Manfrotto 088LBP Adapter 1/4-Inch- 20 to 3/8-Inch with flange:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CZUSUE/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1



Sep 19, 2013 at 06:27 AM
nburwell
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · Pocket Tripod Recommendations


Gochugogi wrote:
One of the reasons the Giottos wasn't my first pick: the 1/4" thread doesn't fit any of of my heads whereas the Manfrotto does. But no biggie, you can buy a 1/4" to 3/4" thread adapter. I've got a drawer full of them and a new one is 1 or 2 bucks. If you want a really beefy one, you could buy the Manfrotto 088LBP Adapter 1/4-Inch- 20 to 3/8-Inch with flange:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CZUSUE/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1


This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

-Nick



Sep 19, 2013 at 01:44 PM
sjms
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · Pocket Tripod Recommendations


or this:

take your choice


http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=1%2F4+to+3%2F8&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=



Sep 19, 2013 at 08:49 PM





FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password