Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Monitor Calibrator Advice Needed

Peter Urbanski
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Monitor Calibrator Advice Needed

I am looking for a good monitor calibrator to use with my 24" i-Mac and MacBook under $200. The Color Vision Spyder3 Express calibrator seems to get mixed reviews, but is priced very well. I will be purchasing the X-Rite Passport Color Checker to place in a room in order to get more accurate colors and white balance when shooting interiors. I would appreciate comments and suggestions.

Sep 01, 2013 at 02:13 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Monitor Calibrator Advice Needed

look at the Colormunki Display or it's higher priced cousin the i1Display Pro (has better more flexible software and is significantly 'faster').

What year/vintage/model is the 24" iMac? The 2009's were difficult to get dim enough to match prints in most environments (I have one)

Sep 01, 2013 at 02:22 PM
Peter Urbanski
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Monitor Calibrator Advice Needed

I believe I bought my 24" i-mac in 2009. I use Mt. Lion, LR and ACR CS5. Some have said that a good gray card might be just as useful as spending the $ for the Passport.

Sep 01, 2013 at 02:50 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Monitor Calibrator Advice Needed

they'd be wrong though.

As I said, you will find it damn near impossible to bring the brightness of that iMac down below something like 140 cd/m2 brightness where you generally want 100-120 (ish)

Sep 01, 2013 at 03:06 PM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Monitor Calibrator Advice Needed

I used to have a 2008 iMac, and the only way to get the display into the preferred 100-120 cd/m2 zone was with ColorEyes Display Pro software: http://www.integrated-color.com/cedpro/coloreyesdisplay.html

At the lowest setting with the Eye One Display, the monitor was 170 cd/m2. The newer iMacs don't have this issue.

Sep 01, 2013 at 03:52 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Monitor Calibrator Advice Needed

Like Mr. Joe, I ended up using BasICColor Display (which shares a history w/ the ColorEyes) to achieve the same thing. Then I got an NEC external monitor.

Just as an additional datapoint, the way BasICColor does that is not magic. It just lowers the white point (think PS Curves upper-right corner) downwards. That has the unfortunate side effect of lowering the range between black and white. Taht was one of the reasons I now do my PS work on the NEC and leave the palettes on the iMac screen. They're fairly close (after lots of trial and error in calibration tweaking the XY white points)

Sep 02, 2013 at 01:47 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Monitor Calibrator Advice Needed

howardm4 - interesting. Looks like BasICColor is cheaper than ColorEyes: http://www.basiccolor.de/basiccolor-display-5-en/

Of course, instead of spending $200 on software in addition to profiling hardware, Peter could put that money towards a new computer.

Sep 02, 2013 at 05:15 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Monitor Calibrator Advice Needed

I haven't looked in a while but I think that BasICColor's price gives you 1 CPU (as many monitors as you want) (free CPU transfer) whereas ColorEyes (I think/recall) let you put it on 3 CPUs

Or put it towards an external monitor and not worry too much about the iMac calibration (he could use Shades s/w to lower it w/o concern for color calibration)

Sep 02, 2013 at 10:36 PM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Monitor Calibrator Advice Needed

howard4m - that's a good suggestion. Shades lets you lower the brightness for free, you just can't calibrate: https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23370/shades

Peter could get an entry level IPS LED 23" monitor for $200 or so.

Sep 02, 2013 at 11:02 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Monitor Calibrator Advice Needed

Peter Urbanski wrote:
I will be purchasing the X-Rite Passport Color Checker to place in a room in order to get more accurate colors and white balance when shooting interiors. I would appreciate comments and suggestions.

I doubt that this will help you much. The color checker is generally used to create a camera profile for certain lighting conditions. It's a great concept and it has its uses but when you are photographing room interiors you will have an awkward mix of man-made and natural lighting, each affected by reflections off coloured walls and furniture. You'll never get it all right at the same time. You would need to have color checkers at different locations to get a feel for what gets affected and how at different locations.

- Alan

Sep 03, 2013 at 03:46 PM
Pictus

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Monitor Calibrator Advice Needed

Do not get the Spyder 3...

Get the Spyder 4 Express and calibrate with Argyll+dispcalGUI. It is the cheapest combination(hard+soft) that works VERY well.

Sep 12, 2013 at 09:58 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Monitor Calibrator Advice Needed

If you're going to get the Color Checker Passport I would definitely consider either the Colormunki Display or better yet X-Rite i1 Display Pro. You can find some nice bundle deals including either calibrator + color checker passport.

I recently saw a nice deal that included the color checker passport + colormunki display for $169 for a short period of time. A few days ago the same combo sold for $189 on ebay.

Of course do your research first, but just a thought since both are highly recommended.

Sep 13, 2013 at 04:21 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password