FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Adobe 70D raw updates

skibum5
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Adobe 70D raw updates

Sven Jeppesen wrote:
Why would you upgrade to Win 7? It have been replaced with Win 8 a long time ago

Better question. Why would anyone downgrade to Win 8?

Aug 31, 2013 at 08:05 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Adobe 70D raw updates

lowa2 wrote:
That SUCKS! That means I have to update to Win 7 GRRRRRRRR.

7 is actually pretty solid, better than Vista or XP and you can dual boot to XP for old stuff, just leave your XP as is and add a new boot disc for Win 7.

Aug 31, 2013 at 08:06 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Adobe 70D raw updates

skibum5 wrote:
7 is actually pretty solid, better than Vista or XP and you can dual boot to XP for old stuff, just leave your XP as is and add a new boot disc for Win 7.

Another option is to run WinXP in a virtual machine under Win7 using VMWare's free VM player software.

Aug 31, 2013 at 08:12 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Adobe 70D raw updates

snapsy wrote:
Another option is to run WinXP in a virtual machine under Win7 using VMWare's free VM player software.

is that full speed though (thinking old games)? i suppose it might be pretty close since it doesn't have to CPU or HW emulate, I don't know if their are any finer points that could cause issues though since windows is sort of a messy OS

Aug 31, 2013 at 08:14 PM
John Wolff
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Adobe 70D raw updates

There is a plugin called MetaRaw from the Plugin site that is supporting new cameras. I don't think they have the 70D yet but I'm betting they will.

John

Sep 01, 2013 at 08:33 AM
lowa2
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Adobe 70D raw updates

Adobe has a beta version of DNG Converter that works with 70D files. It's not perfect, but converting to dng then importing to LR 4 seems to work just fine! Looks like I'm not upgrading to win7/8 just yet

Sep 01, 2013 at 09:04 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Adobe 70D raw updates

I can only imagine the travail and tears if Canon comes out with a 40MP new camera! ;_0 Everyone will need new machines and bigger, faster HDs. Plus the software upgrades they've been putting off!

I'm not on the cutting edge by any means -- trundling along with Win 7, LR5, PSE 10, and an older (mildly rebuilt) Vista Quad Core Gateway desktop machine. I get by, but know I'm going to need a whole new set-up when, and if, a new high rez cam hits the market.

It's just an evolutionary process. I'd think we'd all be used to it by now.

Good to know there are work-arounds for those who need them. But it's not much solution unless we park and do no more upgrades or camera purchases! (Gives me shivers, just thinking about going cold turkey! )

Sep 01, 2013 at 09:37 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Adobe 70D raw updates

I upgraded everything from 7 Pro to 8 Pro when MS had it on sale for $15/license; took about a day to get used to it. And I still regularly use 7 Pro and XP at work.

These things aren't hard to get used to; Windows functions the same as it largely has for decades.

Sep 01, 2013 at 01:01 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Adobe 70D raw updates

Dan Heitman wrote:
I've recently purchased a Canon 70D and I'm using CS5 and looking for update for camera raw any help would greatly be appreciated. Dan

This is not a canon or nikon problem - the Nikon d7100 would likely have caused this as well. Its an adobe marketing strategy to force you to upgrade.

It typically takes 2-3 months for adobe and apple to provide updates that permit reading new body raws. 70d has only been out for 1 month.

Typically adobe will only support new cameras (after a month or 2) on their new software. So if cs6 is current it will work in cs6 but not cs5.

You have choices of:
1) download dng converter and convert the raw to dng format. Then it will be likely readable in cs5. http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5596
- this converts the raw into a generic raw that most software can open.
- this may not convert 70d yet but likely it will. If not within the month it will.

2) convert the files using dpp that was provided in the cd/dvd with the camera. Use the batch run. Convert to tiff/16 bit if you want highest quality and then import to bridge. The trouble with this method is that it does not retain the raws.

3) Buy cs6 or whatever the current version is. But expect that 70d won't be supported for another month or so.

So I would do 1 for now and wait. There is no loss of image quality with dng converter. Photomatix can read it too.

Interestingly, even aperture 3 (mac version of lightroom) will not open my eos-m files unless I update beyond 10.6.xx. So apple is doing this as well for the first time.

Buying a new camera hot off the assembly line has teething pains.

Sorry I should have warned you, but i did not know you were in such a hurry. Scott

[but ultimately you are doomed - the pain in the but will cause you to buy the new software]

Edited on Sep 01, 2013 at 01:29 PM · View previous versions

Sep 01, 2013 at 01:21 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Adobe 70D raw updates

johnctharp wrote:
I upgraded everything from 7 Pro to 8 Pro when MS had it on sale for $15/license; took about a day to get used to it. And I still regularly use 7 Pro and XP at work.

These things aren't hard to get used to; Windows functions the same as it largely has for decades.

I did the same ($15) on two PC. And Windows 8 is a little bit better than than wimdows 7. And you don't have to use the new interface if you like the old one.

Sep 01, 2013 at 01:21 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Adobe 70D raw updates

Adobe should change their name to Aslowbe. Slow on updates, failure (deliberate) to address several major issues with software, forced software upgrade to support new hardware, move to the outrageous cloud subscription (luckily not for LR, yet). I won't be upgrading PS CS6 and have been examining alternate RAW processors and liking what I'm seeing from DxO 8 so far. Much improved from v7 I last tried. However doesn't have selective tools like LR or C1 7.

Sep 01, 2013 at 09:39 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.