New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Adobe 70D raw updates

Dan Heitman
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Adobe 70D raw updates

I've recently purchased a Canon 70D and I'm using CS5 and looking for update for camera raw any help would greatly be appreciated. Dan

Aug 31, 2013 at 01:15 AM
Hawkan
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Adobe 70D raw updates

I'm sorry but I think you're out of luck. Camera Raw for Photoshop CS5 is limited to the 6.x series of Camera Raw. Newer Camera Raw releases (7.x, 8.x) only works with Photoshop CS6 as far as I know. Perhaps there will be an update to Camera Raw 6 but I wouldn't hold my breath. The last update was 6.7, for EOS 5D Mark III (and other cameras released around the same time).

I used Lightroom 5 for most of my image editing, but I also own Photoshop CS5. Lightroom is updated with the same functionality as found in Camera Raw for a lot less money than the upgrade to CS6 would cost me.

There is also the option of downloading the latest version of Adobe DNG Converter (free), which would enable you to convert your RAW images to DNG's which you could then open in Photoshop CS5. The RAW conversion in Camera Raw 7.x and Lightroom is a lot better than the old Camera Raw versions though, so you may lose some quality there.

Aug 31, 2013 at 07:56 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Adobe 70D raw updates

You presumably would have seen this:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5623029

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=106&platform=Windows

This is the problem with Adobe. Well to be fair, it is, to a degree, understandable that they don't make the latest ACR plugins compatible with older versions - everything's moving forward.

Time for a software upgrade or change.

Aug 31, 2013 at 07:56 AM
pliukait
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Adobe 70D raw updates

Paul Mo wrote:
You presumably would have seen this:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5623029

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=106&platform=Windows

This is the problem with Adobe. Well to be fair, it is, to a degree, understandable that they don't make the latest ACR plugins compatible with older versions - everything's moving forward.

Time for a software upgrade or change.

That was my question to Adobe about the 70D support on CS5, I didn't like the answer either. I would assume (I haven't gotten a 70D yet, still thinking) that the new DNG converter from here: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5597 will do the trick.

I use BreezeSys Downloader and in there you can program a plug-in that calls the DNG converter while loading the raw files file the CF/SD cards, so for me the conversion will happen automatically. Then use Photoshop CS5 to process the DNG files and not the original Canon raw .CR2 files.

Try converting the Canon raw files using the Adobe DNG converter manually, then see how that works.

Regards.....Pete

Aug 31, 2013 at 08:09 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Adobe 70D raw updates

This is a business decision Adobe makes to "encourage" users to the next version of photoshop - All updates and support ceases on old versions the moment a new version is released, and any bugs you find can only be fixed by upgrading versions. Personally i think it's a p*** poor way of running a business, but that's what you get when a company has a virtual monopoly.

Perhaps we should be thankful that Adobe don't make cars, otherwise we'd need to buy a new car every time a tyre wears out...

Aug 31, 2013 at 08:45 AM
big country
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Adobe 70D raw updates

Once adobe releases support for it couldn't he convert to DNG file?

Aug 31, 2013 at 08:49 AM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Adobe 70D raw updates

So if I'm reading this correctly, adobe won't release 70D support for Lightroom 4??

Aug 31, 2013 at 10:17 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Adobe 70D raw updates

lowa2 wrote:
So if I'm reading this correctly, adobe won't release 70D support for Lightroom 4??

Almost certainly you need to upgrade to LR5.

Aug 31, 2013 at 10:57 AM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Adobe 70D raw updates

That SUCKS! That means I have to update to Win 7 GRRRRRRRR.

Aug 31, 2013 at 11:23 AM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Adobe 70D raw updates

lowa2 wrote:

Why would you upgrade to Win 7? It have been replaced with Win 8 a long time ago

Aug 31, 2013 at 11:31 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Adobe 70D raw updates

Sven Jeppesen wrote:
Why would you upgrade to Win 7? It have been replaced with Win 8 a long time ago

I tend to think of the even numbered releases as "release candidates" for the odd numbered releases, not so much as replacements and definitely not as upgrades. Most of the world awaits Win 9 before they will retire Win 7.

Edited on Aug 31, 2013 at 11:40 AM · View previous versions

Aug 31, 2013 at 11:39 AM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Adobe 70D raw updates

Sven Jeppesen wrote:

Dont get me started on WIn 8

Aug 31, 2013 at 11:40 AM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Adobe 70D raw updates

lowa2 wrote:

I resisted and fought the upgrade to Win 7 for quite a while. After all is said and done, I don't know why I put up with XP as long as I did.

I remeber getting a response from a forum post i made when I was whinning about no XP support for LR 4 and the response said...."my grandfather uses XP"

Time to u/g.

Aug 31, 2013 at 11:44 AM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Adobe 70D raw updates

mogud wrote:
I resisted and fought the upgrade to Win 7 for quite a while. After all is said and done, I don't know why I put up with XP as long as I did.

I remeber getting a response from a forum post i made when I was whinning about no XP support for LR 4 and the response said...."my grandfather uses XP"

Time to u/g.

I know I guess im stuck in avition mentality. If it works don't upgrade it! Most of the stuff I work on was designed for DOS and runs on Win XP or 7 now

Aug 31, 2013 at 11:50 AM
jorkata
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Adobe 70D raw updates

lowa2 wrote:

I just did that two days ago (precisely so that I can install LR5). It's not so bad.
After you use Win7 for a while, it is better than XP.

Aug 31, 2013 at 11:57 AM
jorkata
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Adobe 70D raw updates

mogud wrote:

+100

Aug 31, 2013 at 11:57 AM
Dan Heitman
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Adobe 70D raw updates

What makes this camera differant than the 5D Mark ll or the 7D which I have used and can load into Photoshop? I'm a Nikon shooter using the D800 which also works in CS5 and a friend sold me his Canon 500 mm f/4 for a really great price so I went out and purchased the 70D now I'm thinking I should've bought the 7D.

Aug 31, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Adobe 70D raw updates

Just use DPP for RAW conversion (it's free and reads Canon Pic Styles & image parameters). DPP can be set for batch processing and the converted file will automatically open in PhotoShop if you want.

Aug 31, 2013 at 12:26 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Adobe 70D raw updates

Yeah, DPP is actually not that bad. The GUI is poor but the results (output) are great.

Aug 31, 2013 at 07:42 PM
flyfishertoo
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Adobe 70D raw updates

Can you convert the files to DNG and continue using LR4 and CS5?

Aug 31, 2013 at 07:45 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.