New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Washington State Capitol

gnagel
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Washington State Capitol

The Washington State Capitol in Olympia was the third of nine capitols that I visited during my last trip. Washington proved to be one of the most difficult ones to photograph for a number of reasons.

It's never a good thing when the center of the rotunda floor is blocked off by a monument or state seal. It makes it impossible to achieve a balanced view of the ceiling--which is almost always one of the money shots from a state capitol building!

Then, the Senate and House chambers were accessible only by tour. I joined the tour, but the chambers were not lit to save utility costs. And, the Washington chamber balconies are located on the side of the room--making it very difficult to get a good composition.

Third, this capitol has very little open space in front of the entrance. The entrance is not nearly as photogenic or spacious as many that I've visited.

Finally, a tour bus (or three) emptied while I was in the capitol, so I was constantly having to wait while people walked in front of the lens.

Anyway, here goes:

Thanks for looking...next up, Oregon!

Glenn

Aug 30, 2013 at 05:21 PM
Douglas_R

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Washington State Capitol

Nice! I especially like the B&W photo. The clouds frame the dome just right.

Aug 30, 2013 at 06:15 PM
vilimo
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Washington State Capitol

despite those challenges, you managed to capture some awesome photos!!!

Aug 30, 2013 at 08:07 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.