Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Old Hamilton Pocket Watch

Wingspar
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Old Hamilton Pocket Watch

Recently I began faze one of closet cleaning. Certainly more than 25 years of accumulation. I came across a small shoe like box that was extremely heavy. I opened it and it was full of silver coins and this watch. The box was my fathers, and I just stuck it in the closet when my parents passed away, and totally forgot about it. I finally got around to photographing the watch today. I could not figure out how to set the time to 10:10, hence the odd time for photography.

Is anyone familiar with this watch? How old it might be? How to open it and how to set the time?

Aug 30, 2013 at 06:21 PM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Old Hamilton Pocket Watch

good shots- interesting find
Does the winder not just pull up a bit to set the time ?
Brian v.

Aug 31, 2013 at 06:55 AM
Wingspar
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Old Hamilton Pocket Watch

Thanks for commenting. I thought this watch would generate more interest. Since I posted, I found an excellent video on this watch on YouTube. It is a true railroad watch which Iíll get to in a moment. To remove the back, the back plate unscrews to reveal the inner workings. It is a very much precision watch. A Model 950B 23 Jewels. I found some 21 Jewel Models selling for $1,100.

People who worked for the railroad were not allowed to set their own watches. To set the watch, the front screws off revealing a tiny little lever, shown with a red arrow in my last photo. Pull up on that lever, and you can use the knob to set the time. The railroad companies used to put a piece of tape over the lever to prevent workers from setting their own time. This helped get the railroads all operating on the same time all over the country. Interesting piece of history on this watch, and a valuable one at that.

Aug 31, 2013 at 08:04 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Old Hamilton Pocket Watch

Fascinating watch and info !
Brian v.

Aug 31, 2013 at 08:09 PM
Wingspar
• • • •