Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Halibut Cove, AK

OccAeon
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Halibut Cove, AK

Any thoughts on my pic of Halibut Cove, Alaska?

NIKON D600    50.0 mm f/1.8 lens    50mm    f/16.0    1/6s    50 ISO    -1.3 EV  

Aug 30, 2013 at 01:08 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Halibut Cove, AK

Yeah, one ... Whoa !!!

I can almost feel this one. I might crop/clone the bright area @ right edge, and maybe trim a smidgeon off the left (to the edge of the first blue roof). I might like to see a bit more negative space above the peak on the right, but those are all just nits. Alternate crops/comps to move the central area a bit less centered is possible for consideration also.

The capture of the essence of the atmosphere is very good. I'd like to hear your thoughts on what made you think about dropping your EC by -1 1/3 stops. I think there's a nugget in here for us to glean from this one. Curious also @ your thoughts on the D600 @ ISO 50. On my Canon's the ISO 50 is only a false ISO.

Aug 30, 2013 at 01:47 PM
OccAeon
• • •
p.1 #3 · Halibut Cove, AK

Thanks for the ideas! I'll try adding some space to the top/bottom.

The D600 is still pretty new to me, so I don't know if the ISO 50 is "real" or not :-). I figured that I had no need for high shutter speed so I might as well. As far as the -1.3 EV, I was trying to make sure to preserve detail in the clouds, figuring that I could bump up the mid tones later (which worked fine, I think, but may have been unnecessary).

Aug 30, 2013 at 02:05 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Halibut Cove, AK

Took a quick look at DXO measurements ... looks like it is a false ISO since ISO 100 and ISO 50 both measured @ the same 79, and the rest of their testing, they omitted ISO 50 results, only going as low as ISO 100.

Gotcha @ wanting to preserve cloud detail.

Aug 30, 2013 at 02:24 PM
Jo Dilbeck
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Halibut Cove, AK

Well Done! I really like the mood of this one, I can feel the foggy dampness and fresh air already. At first I thought it could be a bit brighter, but the more I look at it, the more I think it's fine just as it is. Brighter would not convey the damp/dreary look like this one does

Thanks for sharing!

Jo

Aug 30, 2013 at 06:47 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Halibut Cove, AK

I quite like the mood of the scene.

Perhaps consider adding a little red to the land and foreground mid-tones to counter the slight cyan cast and some minor retouching to catch some minor nits, such as some small dust bunnies in the clouds on the left.

Cheers!

Aug 30, 2013 at 07:53 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Halibut Cove, AK

Beautiful scene well-composed, captured, processed.
Others have covered the nits.
Fine work! Now I want to be there!

Scott

Aug 31, 2013 at 12:55 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

eeneryma
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · Halibut Cove, AK

Antipode: Perhaps consider adding a little red to the land and foreground mid-tones to counter the slight cyan cast and some minor retouching to catch some minor nits, such as some small dust bunnies in the clouds on the left.

Not to alarm you, but you might want to look at all the comments on the Nikon D600 forum on dpreview.com about the dust and lubricant problem on the D600 sensor. From what I've read, the "dust bunnies" on the upper left hand corner of your photo may be symptomatic of a recurring problem on this model that some have reported. If you like the camera and many people do, you'll need to know how to deal with cleaning the sensor.

Aug 31, 2013 at 01:21 AM
Lee Wiren
• • •
p.1 #9 · Halibut Cove, AK

It's a neat scene for sure... I think it would do better with some of the bottom and a little to the right cropped.... seems like the house in the middle is too centered.

Aug 31, 2013 at 08:36 AM
Oregon Gal
• • •
p.1 #10 · Halibut Cove, AK

A beautiful place and image. Previous posters have given excellent advice as to minor color corrections and additional cropping options. If it were my image I might lighten the center portion of the image as it appears a little dark for my taste but works as is. Posted a re-work for comparison purposes.

Edited on Aug 31, 2013 at 04:31 PM · View previous versions

Aug 31, 2013 at 12:46 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Halibut Cove, AK

+1 @ Barbara, nice touch @ tonal values. The kiss of lift pulls the central area forward, which also recedes the background and generates a greater sense of depth.

It will be an iterative process to bring this one to its fullest (depending on direction/mood @ goals for image).

Aug 31, 2013 at 03:11 PM
Oregon Gal
• • •
p.1 #12 · Halibut Cove, AK

Thanks Kent, just showing another option for processing this image. Added a second image to my post above with an alternate crop although you lose the beautiful wide expanse of the shot.

Aug 31, 2013 at 04:25 PM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Halibut Cove, AK

Snapshot. You had great weather but the totally wrong composition and/or camera position. Do you have other shots from that time?

Sep 01, 2013 at 05:49 AM
Beluha

p.1 #14 · Halibut Cove, AK

These are great colors. At least that how it seems to me. OccAen, could you please share, what`s the software and which techniques you are using? Would be also nice to see the original.

Sep 01, 2013 at 07:50 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password