Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Sony E mount mirrorless with "Z-shift" sensor based AF!

Matt Grum
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sony E mount mirrorless with "Z-shift" sensor based AF!

That's right, autofocus with all your manual focus alt glass. Not confirmed yet, but strongly, strongly hinted on SAR, would be surprised if this turned out to be false.

Presumably you'll have to do the rough focussing by hand (especially with telephotos or lenses with floating elements), but once you're close you can let the camera do the rest. Should allow non-magnified MF operation with an electronic viewfinder, where you turn the focus ring 'till it looks right, then the camera quickly fine tunes the focus for you so you get dead on results with fast lenses. Obviously it's not for everybody and doesn't replace manual focus, but it's another tool in the photographer's arsenal, that you can take or leave.

I think it's pretty cool and would be ideal for street photography candids where you don't want to hang about, or for photographers with fading eyesight.

Edited on Sep 02, 2013 at 05:03 AM · View previous versions

Aug 30, 2013 at 08:08 AM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sony E mount mirrorless with "Z-shift" sensor based AF!

The contax ax reborn.

Aug 30, 2013 at 08:35 AM
jj birder
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sony E mount mirrorless with "Z-shift" sensor based AF!

Matt Grum wrote:
would be surprised if this turned out not to be false.

I think you meant the opposite?

Contax AX did this with film. It was a large and deep camera is cope with the movement. The AF worked well albeit a bit slow from what I hear. I guess a digital equivalent would not need so much extra space as it wouldn't have so much hardware to move?

Aug 30, 2013 at 08:36 AM
Matt Grum
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sony E mount mirrorless with "Z-shift" sensor based AF!

ken.vs.ryu wrote:
The contax ax reborn.

But digital and with a much shorter flange distance (and maybe IBIS!)

Aug 30, 2013 at 08:41 AM
_julian_
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sony E mount mirrorless with "Z-shift" sensor based AF!

I think I'd prefer to know that there's a rigidly mounted sensor in there with no complicated mechanical contraptions to go wrong. Also, if lens designers felt that lens groups should move together as a group rather than independently (consider FLE) then just moving the lens with respect to the camera would already be how cameras focus.

Aug 30, 2013 at 08:42 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sony E mount mirrorless with "Z-shift" sensor based AF!

Interesting.

Another benefit of sensor movements is the possibility for focus plane tilt fine tuning, to compensate for adapter misalignment.

Aug 30, 2013 at 08:45 AM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sony E mount mirrorless with "Z-shift" sensor based AF!

_julian_ wrote:
I think I'd prefer to know that there's a rigidly mounted sensor in there with no complicated mechanical contraptions to go wrong. Also, if lens designers felt that lens groups should move together as a group rather than independently (consider FLE) then just moving the lens with respect to the camera would already be how cameras focus.

So you're against IBIS?

Aug 30, 2013 at 08:48 AM
Matt Grum
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sony E mount mirrorless with "Z-shift" sensor based AF!

_julian_ wrote:
if lens designers felt that lens groups should move together as a group rather than independently (consider FLE) then just moving the lens with respect to the camera would already be how cameras focus.

It is, with a technical/LF camera. Lenses with a FLE will have to be rough focussed first, but imagine instead of having to punch into 5x or 10x magnification to check critical focus, you just hit the AF button and the camera does it for you.

With regards to reliability, I'm sure people said the same thing about in body image stabilisation. If this system is integrated with 5-axis IBIS, then there is the possibility for the camera to self calibrate to make sure the sensor stays dead flat and in the right place, giving better results than a fixed sensor that suffers manufacturing tolerances.

Aug 30, 2013 at 08:49 AM
_julian_
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sony E mount mirrorless with "Z-shift" sensor based AF!

ken.vs.ryu wrote:
So you're against IBIS?

For video, IBIS is superior to OSS because there's no need to duplicate it in every lens, but otherwise I find the simplicity of say a Leica much more appealing (Perhaps I have to adjust my own expectations).

Aug 30, 2013 at 03:57 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sony E mount mirrorless with "Z-shift" sensor based AF!

Interesting if true, but this feels like one of those rumors based on some obscure patent Sony filed x-years ago.

Either that, or some bored clerks at a Sony outlet store are having fun. "Ooo! Now tell him we're developing a camera that will utilize traffic and security cameras in the area to provide 3D imaging."

Aug 30, 2013 at 04:33 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sony E mount mirrorless with "Z-shift" sensor based AF!

Boy, if this is true (and the comments on SAR appear to really point in this direction,) then this would be a huge advantage for Sony, if it works well. Outside of the floating element issues already mentioned, can you imagine mounting a set of M lenses on a FF NEX that allows one to auto focus? That would be a big deal. Heck, being able to AF any non-native lens would be a big deal.

Aug 30, 2013 at 04:36 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sony E mount mirrorless with "Z-shift" sensor based AF!

Sony already appear to dominate camera technology innovation, and look to deserve to as well. No one thinks ouside the square as well as they do, they are the ultimate market disrupter. Looking at the recent RX1 video they have a very talented team of young guys.

This might change lens design itself. Lets hope there is some truth behind it all. I have not seen the alpha rumours guy so excited.

Aug 30, 2013 at 04:58 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sony E mount mirrorless with "Z-shift" sensor based AF!

This might also explain the long delays (the FF NEX especially) and disruption to their production schedule these past two years. They got hold of something big but had to productionise it properly.

Aug 30, 2013 at 05:08 PM
artur5
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sony E mount mirrorless with "Z-shift" sensor based AF!

Aren't we being a bit overexcited over a not very conclusive rumor ?
SAR says :
'...One of these cameras has a unique feature, and that camera will make you happy (if the price isn’t too high). And also Canon and Nikon owners will be motivated to switch and they can perfectly use all their lenses on it!..'

Why mention specifically Nikon and Canon if the camera can AF any brand of manual or AF lens ?
These SAR rumors of the last weeks are contradictory and unfocused ( pun intended. )

Aug 31, 2013 at 03:47 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sony E mount mirrorless with "Z-shift" sensor based AF!

artur5 wrote:
Why mention specifically Nikon and Canon if the camera can AF any brand of manual or AF lens ?
These SAR rumors of the last weeks are contradictory and unfocused ( pun intended. )

The speculation seems to be that Sony is trying to go after the market leaders, which are Canon and Nikon. I guess the idea is that if Sony were to offer these users an easy way to use their existing investment in lenses with an innovative camera body that offers advantages over anything Canon or Nikon currently offers, a "Trojan Horse" type scenario might unfold (with these users eventually switching completely over to Sony). Yes, it does seem like over exuberance and I really don't see that happening.

Aug 31, 2013 at 08:14 AM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sony E mount mirrorless with "Z-shift" sensor based AF!

artur5 wrote:
Aren't we being a bit overexcited over a not very conclusive rumor ?
SAR says :
'...One of these cameras has a unique feature, and that camera will make you happy (if the price isn’t too high). And also Canon and Nikon owners will be motivated to switch and they can perfectly use all their lenses on it!..'

Read the hundreds of comments under the rumor. The SAR guy implies several times that it is sensor shift AF. I think there's a good chance, but who knows?

Aug 31, 2013 at 08:23 AM
Matt Grum
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sony E mount mirrorless with "Z-shift" sensor based AF!

Tariq Gibran wrote:
I guess the idea is that if Sony were to offer these users an easy way to use their existing investment in lenses with an innovative camera body that offers advantages over anything Canon or Nikon currently offers, a "Trojan Horse" type scenario might unfold (with these users eventually switching completely over to Sony). Yes, it does seem like over exuberance and I really don't see that happening.

I'm almost certainly going to buy at least one Sony body to compliment my Canon system, hoping for a high resolution full frame NEX with great DR. Might also pick up a compact native prime (if they make something f/2.0, not interested in the 35mm f/2.8)

I might also get an APS-C body with sensor shift AF for the right price. So not switching systems exactly but handing Sony a wodge of cash that would otherwise go elsewhere...

Aug 31, 2013 at 09:32 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sony E mount mirrorless with "Z-shift" sensor based AF!

I'm sure a lot of us around here will end up buying one of the Sony's. I don't believe though that the average Canon/ Nikon user will do this (I don't really consider most of us on the Alt forum as being the average Canon/ Nikon user).

Aug 31, 2013 at 09:38 AM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sony E mount mirrorless with "Z-shift" sensor based AF!

If Canon and Nikon lenses are fully operational on the new cameras, in terms of AF, aperture and stabilization, I could see a lot of their users trying a Sony body.

Aug 31, 2013 at 10:01 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sony E mount mirrorless with "Z-shift" sensor based AF!

douglasf13 wrote:
If Canon and Nikon lenses are fully operational on the new cameras, in terms of AF, aperture and stabilization, I could see a lot of their users trying a Sony body.

But do you by "fully operational" mean that they will have the same AF? Same speed and accuracy? Or just that it will have some kind of slow AF?

Aug 31, 2013 at 10:18 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.