New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Photo of handcuffed man in New York City

Dan Wagner
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Photo of handcuffed man in New York City

I shot the photo yesterday afternoon at the intersection of West 3rd Street & Thompson Streets in Greenwich Village (near Washington Square Park), Manhattan, NYC. The handcuffed man had been apprehended, cuffed, searched, and arrested, and was about to be put in the paddy wagon. Three men in total were arrested. It was hard trying to figure out what went down — but from listening to the three men, it seems one may have turned in the other for something involving drugs. I can’t be sure as I only heard snippets of their conversation. The handcuffed guy in the photo was the most hostile of the three and right out of central casting. He was threatening violence against the cop searching him, and also one of his possible cohorts. I don’t know why the handcuffed man is wearing two watches — one on each wrist. The police acted professionally and didn’t rise to the alleged “perp’s” provocations. Oh well, that’s the seamier side of street photography in the Big Apple. Shot with Kodak 120 black and white film, vintage flashbulbs and my trusty 1961 Rolleiflex.

You can see the photo on my Tumblr blog. http://danwagnerphotography.tumblr.com

Please share your thoughts.

Aug 29, 2013 at 05:48 PM
DaveOls
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Photo of handcuffed man in New York City

You can still get flashbulbs?
I've got a Rolleiflex 3.5F that is from the mid 60's. I really like it. It slows you down, unlike the DSLR's.

Aug 29, 2013 at 06:29 PM
Dan Wagner
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Photo of handcuffed man in New York City

Hi DaveOls, yeah, you can still get flashbulbs on fleabay. The ones I use have a guide number of about 160 with ISO 400 -- so at 10 feet 160/10 (ft) = f/16. I figured the guide number myself by seeing what looked best at 10 feet with a specific reflector. Change the reflector and you change the guide number. Also, faster shutter speeds can decrease the guide number because the flashbulb burns slower than an electronic flash.

You have to experiment with the bulbs until you can predict how the photos will look. It takes a few years.

I agree, mechanical film cameras slow you down, and for many that is a huge benefit. Then when you pick up a DSLR you can enjoy picking your shots. The 3.5f is a great model -- I have one and a 2.8f. My 2.8f belonged to someone's uncle Wally, and I always wonder what he would think of the shots I take with it -- could he have imagined his former camera in Istanbul or photographing someone being handcuffed in NYC?

Aug 29, 2013 at 07:11 PM
SoderhamBratsk
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Photo of handcuffed man in New York City

I love the look of Kodak 120 B&W Film, it's so good!

Sep 06, 2013 at 09:51 AM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Photo of handcuffed man in New York City

Nice series of work!

Sep 06, 2013 at 10:03 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.