New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · monopod as ballhead?

MikeW
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · monopod as ballhead?

I'm going on a quick trip to a remote area where limiting weight for flights is crucial. I was planning on getting a monopod head for the trip & wondered if anyone has used it on their tripod in lieu of a ballhead for regular landscapes?

I've sent most of my gear in advanced as I am meeting up with a boat, but still have to take my tripod, camera bag & either my BH-55 or a MH-02 LR (or both).

Thanks,

Mike

Aug 29, 2013 at 12:06 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · monopod as ballhead?

MikeW wrote:
... if anyone has used it on their tripod in lieu of a ballhead for regular landscapes?

Golly, no.

I have the MH-01, which is very similar to the MH-02. It's a great solution for a heavy lens on a monopod, but it would be a liability for landscapes and other tyipcal tripod applications, because it has no rotation, or azimuth, motion. You might be OK if your tripod has a circular centre post that you can rotate, but that's usually a very coarse adjustment. Also, you could attach it to a leveling head that allows rotation (i.e. a clamped ball), but that would throw off the level. Not good.

Whether the BH-55 is the lightest solution for a ball head depends on the weight and configuration of the gear you're going to use. A monopod tilt head is not a good alternative.

Aug 29, 2013 at 04:55 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · monopod as ballhead?

I have a panning clamp on my Sunwayfoto monopod head and with both tilt and rotation it works well as a two axis head. Albeit I'd much rather use a ballhead for landscapes. If I had to choose only one, I'd bring the ballhead and use it on both the tripod and monopod (or use the monopod with only a clamp or plain screw).

Aug 29, 2013 at 06:46 PM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · monopod as ballhead?

points taken, thanks, maybe I'll just put up with my ballhead on the mono, done it before.

Thanks.

Mike

Aug 29, 2013 at 09:15 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · monopod as ballhead?

MikeW wrote:
... maybe I'll just put up with my ballhead on the mono, done it before...

I thought you were taking a tripod, and asking if a monopod head would do.

MikeW wrote:
... I was planning on getting a monopod head for the trip & wondered if anyone has used it on their tripod in lieu of a ballhead for regular landscapes?

I've sent most of my gear in advanced ...still have to take my tripod...

Are you taking a tripod and a monopod?

Aug 29, 2013 at 09:21 PM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · monopod as ballhead?

I have both monopod & tripod. But just a ballhead. I was going to buy the monopod head & just take that, leaving my ballhead behind & thought I could use the monopod head on my tripod for regular landscape stuff.

Any panning would be done with the shift on tilt-shift but I think I'll just take the ballhead & save the $.

Where we are going tripods aren't suitable, but a monopod is worthwhile for bears. Most tripod shots will be from the boat apparently, should be fun...

Aug 30, 2013 at 11:45 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · monopod as ballhead?

OK, that makes sense. Have a great trip!

Aug 30, 2013 at 05:59 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.