Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Opinions on a light setup

pcrit
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Opinions on a light setup

I am looking for a dual purpose lighting setup at a reasonable cost (around 500-700) if it exists. It would be used in a home studio and also portable for location shoots for portrait work so AC/DC power, reliable, and easy to use are my main requests. I bought a cheap flashpoint 180 moonlight from Adorama and it works ok but looking for something more powerful and a complete system. Looking at this so far:

http://www.adorama.com/FP600DGK3.html

I have read good reviews on the lights but my main issue is once I add the battery packs and softboxes I am looking at close to $1000. I don't mind spending that much if it will last and I want it to grow with me as I am just starting my business but don't mind investing in the right equipment. Do you think there are better alternatives for the money or I should stick with it?

Aug 29, 2013 at 04:36 PM
hatch1921
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Opinions on a light setup

If your budget is around $1000 and you want a nice product which you can expand upon, have you given any thought to Alien Bees or the Einstien strobes from Paul Buff? I've shot with them both in the past. The Alien Bee line isn't bad for the price point. It's light weight, easy to use and very affordable.

The Einstein is a little more price wise but offers many more features than the Alien Bee line of strobes.

A number of my photography friends use the equipment and find the customer support to be stellar when things break or if they just need assistance with something related to the lights.

You can pick up the Einstein for $500 http://www.paulcbuff.com/e640.php
Portable power -Vagabond mini -- $240 http://www.paulcbuff.com/vm120.php
They have a number of modifiers as well. You will need something to trigger the strobe ... which can be found on this page. http://www.paulcbuff.com/cybersync.php

For around $1000 you get a nice/portable setup. Plus this unit is 600ws ... where you gain a stop of light over the setup you are looking at from Adorama. If you are just starting out with strobes... IMO you can't go wrong with learning how to really control/use the single light prior to trying to add multiple lights to the mix. Things can get complicated in a hurry. You would be surprised at what you can accomplish with a single strobe and well placed reflectors.

Hope this helps some.
Hatch

Aug 29, 2013 at 06:55 PM
pcrit
• •
p.1 #3 · Opinions on a light setup

Thank you so much and a one light setup would be much easier, I will certainly look into it and appreciate the advice!

Aug 29, 2013 at 08:19 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • •
p.1 #4 · Opinions on a light setup

For your budget and application this is a great deal. http://www.calumetphoto.com/product/calumet-genesis-300b-with-power-port-battery-system/CF0506K/ 300 watts is plenty for most portraits shoots.

You can use either the cheaper Calumet modifiers with it or it is also compatible with better Elinchrom Modifiers.

Aug 30, 2013 at 01:37 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Opinions on a light setup

Vagabond Mini ... gets you your portable A/C. While the Einstein comes recommended, there are also other PCB models and other brands (check with PCB for compatibility/warranty) of AC lights that can work with the VML if $$$ preclude the Einstein. For portable AC on a budget, the VML is worth looking into. Holds a charge really well, even when idle for long periods of time.

Aug 30, 2013 at 03:53 AM
pcrit
• •
p.1 #6 · Opinions on a light setup

I do like the vagabaond mini and ability to power multiple lights with one battery. Will it work with any light?

Aug 31, 2013 at 12:30 AM
maxx9photo
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Opinions on a light setup

pcrit wrote:
I do like the vagabaond mini and ability to power multiple lights with one battery. Will it work with any light?

I used mine with Dynalite Uni400 Monolight, prior to that I used them with Dynalite MX500 power pack with 1050 lights.. Both worked fine on me.

Sep 01, 2013 at 05:04 AM
pcrit
• •
p.1 #8 · Opinions on a light setup

Great, thanks for the advice.

Sep 01, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

irish-george
• • •
p.1 #9 · Opinions on a light setup

You can easily meet your needs with Bowens lights, especially if you buy from their outlet. I've owned Bowens (they invented self-contained lights and the most popular modifier mounting system) for 25 years and have never had a failure in any of my ten lights...not even a bulb has gone out. They offer two different battery packs, too.

Sep 01, 2013 at 12:22 PM
pcrit
• •
p.1 #10 · Opinions on a light setup

I will check the Bowens out, thanks!!!! That's pretty amazing and they have really worked out for you.

Sep 02, 2013 at 01:29 AM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Opinions on a light setup

I would agree with the AB/Einstein option. The size and what you get for the price is pretty darn amazing.

Sep 04, 2013 at 06:35 PM
pcrit
• •
p.1 #12 · Opinions on a light setup

The Einsteins are pretty cool!

Sep 08, 2013 at 11:24 AM
MaunaKea7007

p.1 #13 · Opinions on a light setup

Possible that the cost of Paul Buff flash ownership might be less than other brands because the Buff gear keeps a high resale value.

I love my Einsteins. Modifiers from Buff are offered at reasonable cost. Consider charging a little bit more when quoting jobs to cover the better gear and know as you sell that you are worth more to the client for your good equipment decision. And you will be! One more shoot might give you the be the cash to allow the better gear, and that one more shoot will come because you are producing better images with gear that doesn't get in the way.

My 2cents.

jonathan7007

Sep 12, 2013 at 06:20 PM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #14 · Opinions on a light setup

Here is a great look a what can be done with a single light and lots of reflectors:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9gVQFhCXEQ

Paul

Sep 13, 2013 at 05:15 AM
pcrit
• •
p.1 #15 · Opinions on a light setup

Thank you, I will check it out as I think it would be best to start with one light.

Sep 22, 2013 at 03:35 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password