New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · question re: autofocusing and the fuji x system

goosemang
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · question re: autofocusing and the fuji x system

a while ago i purchased an x-pro1 and the fuji 35 f/1.4. i sent it all back after a few days because the AF was so bad and the manual focusing was useless. (i expected the latter as i have an x100.)

i love my x100, and would like to add an interchangeable lens fuji to my setup, but i am not sure if recent firmware updates and/or new bodies like the x-e1 have made a significant enough improvement to focusing to do the job. here are a few questions i have:

1. when manual focusing with an x-pro1 with the latest firmware, is the depth of field indicated in the viewfinder accurate? for example if you're focused at 10 feet and f/8, does the little gray area that indicates depth of field actually represent something useable? (x to y feet in focus, etc.)

2. i distinctly was bothered by the noisy back and forth of the AF on the 35 f/1.4. has this improved with new firmware?

3. are the AF characteristics on some of the new lenses better or worse than the initial lenses launched? for example the new 14mm or 27mm... how does the AF compare to the 35? is it as noisy?

and not AF related, but i might as well ask it here:

can anybody compare the EVF in the x-e1 to that of the original X100? i am particularly interested in whether or not highlights and blacks are represented more clearly, and how lag compares.

i really would like to re-purchase the x-pro1 or possibly the x-e1 if the EVF is acceptable, but unless i can have the capability to accurately zone focus, and have AF that's not completely annoying, i'm going to keep on waiting. just wanted to kind of size up where the system currently stands.

thanks.

Aug 29, 2013 at 10:44 AM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · question re: autofocusing and the fuji x system

oh, one other thing i forgot to ask:

when i use the EVF on my X100, it shows one exposure until you half-press the shutter, at which point the brightness changes to show you the exposure you'll actually get.

this is annoying because i want to see what i'm going to get all the time if i'm using an EVF. does the X-e1 EVF also do this, or is what you see what you get at all times?

Aug 29, 2013 at 10:54 AM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · question re: autofocusing and the fuji x system

bump

Sep 03, 2013 at 03:02 PM
wcowan

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · question re: autofocusing and the fuji x system

I'm interested in an answer too.

Same situation, have an X100 (and D700) want an XE1, but not sure about AF.

Cheers

William Cowan

Sep 04, 2013 at 02:12 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · question re: autofocusing and the fuji x system

I don't have the X-Pro 1, but I do have the X-E1 which experienced similar improvements with the latest firmware.

goosemang wrote:
1. when manual focusing with an x-pro1 with the latest firmware, is the depth of field indicated in the viewfinder accurate? for example if you're focused at 10 feet and f/8, does the little gray area that indicates depth of field actually represent something useable? (x to y feet in focus, etc.)

Someone else will need to answer this, as I have never bothered to really use the built in depth of field scale. When I have noticed it, it didn't seem obviously off, but I haven't tested it thoroughly. I don't have my X-E1 with me today, but a quick test with the X-M1 and 35/1.4 shows the focus scale to be pretty well calibrated. The depth of field box looks to be a little conservative if anything.

2. i distinctly was bothered by the noisy back and forth of the AF on the 35 f/1.4. has this improved with new firmware?

No, the 35/1.4 is still noisy. It focuses more surely now, and speed is OK, but it's still loud and does the back and forth (though faster now)...it's the type of motor used in the lens...nothing can be done about that.

3. are the AF characteristics on some of the new lenses better or worse than the initial lenses launched? for example the new 14mm or 27mm... how does the AF compare to the 35? is it as noisy?

The 14mm is somewhat noisy, but MUCH faster to focus. The 27mm has an audible focus motor as well. Not as loud as the 35, but similar in speed. All three zooms have essentially silent focus motors.

and not AF related, but i might as well ask it here:

can anybody compare the EVF in the x-e1 to that of the original X100? i am particularly interested in whether or not highlights and blacks are represented more clearly, and how lag compares.

I never used the X100, but the X-E1 EVF is pretty good. Dynamic range is decent and resolution is excellent...works well in most situations. In low light it can get pretty laggy, especially with a slow lens. Not nearly as good as the OM-D in this regard, but it's usable. Not sure how that compares to the X100 though.

i really would like to re-purchase the x-pro1 or possibly the x-e1 if the EVF is acceptable, but unless i can have the capability to accurately zone focus, and have AF that's not completely annoying, i'm going to keep on waiting. just wanted to kind of size up where the system currently stands.

It's worth trying out. Perhaps rent one for a few days to have a solid hands on before diving back in. Focus speed is pretty decent now. Not up to the speed that Micro 4/3 and NEX have, but now solidly in the 'it'll work for most things" department. It hunts a lot less in lower light too, especially with the 35 and 60mm lenses.

I will say that the X-M1, while lacking a viewfinder and some other nice things, while adding other nice things like a better rear screen and Wi-Fi, is the most responsive of the X cameras...it writes much faster and has shorter shutter lag and such. I'd imagine that these improvements will be coming to an X-Pro and X-E successor, though who know when that will be.

Sep 04, 2013 at 09:03 AM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · question re: autofocusing and the fuji x system

jman, thanks for the input.

with the announcement of the 23 1.4 it's no longer a question of will, but when

Sep 07, 2013 at 02:19 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.