New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Epson 4880 - Color Munki - 10.8 - LR4 & PS4 Printing Too Dark

grimrebes

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Epson 4880 - Color Munki - 10.8 - LR4 & PS4 Printing Too Dark

Hi All,

This is my first post on here, so be patient with me, and thank you in advance for the help I hope you will all be able to provide. I hesitated for a few weeks posting because I wanted to try everything I could to get the printer working. I purchased a second hand 4880 in perfect condition with cone inks. The user who I purchased it from showed me the print setup in XP and everything seemed to be calibrated and working on the same paper I am using now pretty seamlessly, which leads me to believe it's not a hardware error.

I brought the 4880 home, purchased and IPS display, color munki photo, profiled my display and printer, and no luck. I've turned off the color management when profiling for the papers with color munki photo's software, and double and triple checked the process for printing out images from LR4 and PS6. The same thing happens in both. Interestingly, I used adobes software that allows you to print tiff files with zero color management, and it looks identical to whats coming out of the printer with the profiles I've built.

Is it a gamma issue? Is it something with 10.8? I have a 10.7 laptop, but haven't gone down that road yet. I haven't tried printing in windows, frankly, because it's not a tenable solution working in an OSX environment.

When reviewing the photo, I've looked under three different lights (CFL, LED, and Incandescent). While the colors seems accurate (the reds are red, blues blues, greens green), the luminance seems WAY off.

I realize print and screen are different beasts, and it takes a long time to learn how to do this properly, but the luminance values aren't even in the same zip code.

A good example of how it appears is as follows. I went down to the Jersey shore last weekend, and took some photos of the damage still down there from Sandy. My partner in crime posed for a shot next to an old, rusty blue Austin Martin. She was standing in front of trees beside the car. The car is a light blue. The car looks pretty close to what it looks like on screen, as does the gravel, brightness levels and all. She, however, looks terribly dark and the tree line does as well.

I realize people post the problems they are having printing all over this and other forums. I've read them for the better part of six weeks and still can't seem to work out the problem. You're help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Aug 29, 2013 at 10:42 AM
grimrebes

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Epson 4880 - Color Munki - 10.8 - LR4 & PS4 Printing Too Dark

Pause. I am going to try turning my display down... Clearly the one thing I haven't tried. Duh. I'll post here if it works or not.

Aug 29, 2013 at 11:02 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Epson 4880 - Color Munki - 10.8 - LR4 & PS4 Printing Too Dark

the standard thing to read.............

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/why_are_my_prints_too_dark.shtml

Aug 29, 2013 at 11:18 AM
grimrebes

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Epson 4880 - Color Munki - 10.8 - LR4 & PS4 Printing Too Dark

Thanks Howard. Reading that now. It seems to be one article I missed.

Aug 29, 2013 at 12:24 PM
grimrebes

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Epson 4880 - Color Munki - 10.8 - LR4 & PS4 Printing Too Dark

Okay. I've recalibrate the monitor, realizing there was still a luminance control I was previously unaware of. Basically the prints I am making look like they are printing with Adobe RGB, not the profile I've setup for it.

Any ideas or thoughts?

Aug 30, 2013 at 09:15 AM
grimrebes

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Epson 4880 - Color Munki - 10.8 - LR4 & PS4 Printing Too Dark

Looks like its a problem with OSX. Printed from WIndows 7 and the profiles work like a glove. Not sure what the next step is...

Sep 16, 2013 at 08:13 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.