Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Zeiss 24 f/1.4 for NEX cameras vs. Pana/Leica 25mm f/1.4 for Panasonic m3/4

nick53097
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Zeiss 24 f/1.4 for NEX cameras vs. Pana/Leica 25mm f/1.4 for Panasonic m3/4

Zeiss 24 f/1.4 for NEX cameras vs. Pana/Leica 25mm f/1.4 for Panasonic m3/4
I am recently using NEX 6 with Zeiss 24mm lens and really like the IQ from this combo, but the size of camera and lens is a little larger than I want.
Panasonic G5 or G6 with Leica 25mm lens will be smaller and lighter, but I am not sure about how IQ from this combo will compare to Nex 6/Zeiss 24 (NEX 6 with kit lens produce a better pics than G5 with kit lens, at least fo me...)
I know that it’s a 35mm vs. 50mm, but I am comfortable with both local distances, just trying to find a better, smaller combo for the family travel use

If you own/used both maybe you can comment….

Thank you in advance

Aug 29, 2013 at 08:15 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Zeiss 24 f/1.4 for NEX cameras vs. Pana/Leica 25mm f/1.4 for Panasonic m3/4

The PL25 is a fantastic lens, possibly nicer rendering than the Zeiss, but MFT gives away a little IQ to the NEX setup. Ultimately both are very good, but it really depends on your needs.

Aug 29, 2013 at 09:01 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Zeiss 24 f/1.4 for NEX cameras vs. Pana/Leica 25mm f/1.4 for Panasonic m3/4

If you could magically shoot the lenses on the same system, then I'd say the PL is the better choice. In my opinion, the PL has better bokeh, nicer OOC colors, and it's stabilized (my theory with AF system lenses is that if you're going to go with a lazy lens, it should be as useful a lazy lens as possible). But once you factor in the cameras and the different resulting FOV, I'd rather have the wider lens, which I would find more useful in general and the minor differences in the draws wouldn't be as important.

Aug 29, 2013 at 09:58 AM
jonrock
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Zeiss 24 f/1.4 for NEX cameras vs. Pana/Leica 25mm f/1.4 for Panasonic m3/4

I don't have a PL 25mm f1.4 but I have the Sony ZA 24mm f1.8. I would have to say I think the PL 25mm f1.4 is probably the better lens at a cheaper price. However, I like the FL of the ZA 24mm f1.8 for my purposes. In my experience, the ZA 24mm f1.8 does its best work from short to midrange distances.

I don't think the size difference between the two setups is large enough though to consider switching on the just the basis of size.

Aug 29, 2013 at 10:16 AM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Zeiss 24 f/1.4 for NEX cameras vs. Pana/Leica 25mm f/1.4 for Panasonic m3/4

The better comparison to the Panny Leica 25 1.4 would probably be the Zeiss 32/1.8, since it is closer in equivalent focal length on NEX, and it is shorter than the Sony/Zeiss 24/1.8. I'd consider the 32/1.8 before switching systems.

If you want to go much smaller, you might consider the Sony 35/1.8 OSS.

Aug 29, 2013 at 10:22 AM
ocean2059
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Zeiss 24 f/1.4 for NEX cameras vs. Pana/Leica 25mm f/1.4 for Panasonic m3/4

freaklikeme wrote:
If you could magically shoot the lenses on the same system, then I'd say the PL is the better choice. In my opinion, the PL has better bokeh, nicer OOC colors, and it's stabilized (my theory with AF system lenses is that if you're going to go with a lazy lens, it should be as useful a lazy lens as possible). But once you factor in the cameras and the different resulting FOV, I'd rather have the wider lens, which I would find more useful in general and the minor differences in the draws wouldn't be as important.

I don't think the PL 25/1.4 has OIS unless you are using it with Olympus OMD with BIS. I also prefer PL 25/1.4 to Zeiss 24/1.8 for overall image rendering.

Aug 29, 2013 at 11:41 AM
baimei

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Zeiss 24 f/1.4 for NEX cameras vs. Pana/Leica 25mm f/1.4 for Panasonic m3/4

I had both lenses. Still have the 25/1.4. I got rid of my NEX stuff just recently, because it was in the middle between my FF gear and my micro four thirds. Too many choices with three systems. hehe

My choice for travel would be the 25/1.4. Its lighter and more compact. Rendering is different on both lenses, but excellent. It depends on what you like. I would suggest going through Flickr and search the two lenses to see which look you prefer.

Aug 30, 2013 at 07:37 PM
curious80
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Zeiss 24 f/1.4 for NEX cameras vs. Pana/Leica 25mm f/1.4 for Panasonic m3/4

G5/G6 are not the best m43 bodies in terms of IQ and not very small either. The olympus E-PL5/E-P5/E-M5 have the superior sony sensor which is very close to NEX sensor in terms of iQ. One of these bodies + the 25mm 1.4 should be a great combo

Aug 30, 2013 at 07:47 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.