New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Canon 6D + iPad + wifi

Daan B
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 6D + iPad + wifi

Hi everybody,

I have seen you can hook up the 6D to an iPad with Wi-Fi. I am very interested in this feature.

The way I see it is to use the 6D in LiveView while connected through the app to the iPad.

I am curious:
- Can I see the LiveView image on the iPad screen in real time (just like with EOS utility)?
- When I take a shot, does the app download the image to the iPad or does it see what I have on the SD card?
- If it sees what I have on the SD card, I assume it will be a (compressed) JPEG preview (even though I shoot in RAW)?
- WIll the app run on the iPad 2?
- Will the LiveView + Wi-Fi combination drain my battery fast? How much shots do I get?

Thanks

Aug 29, 2013 at 02:29 AM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 6D + iPad + wifi

This is a great feature. I've used it on a few photo shoots so the art director could see the images right away. The best way to set this up is to shoot RAW+JPEG. The app will send the JPEG wirelessly to the iPad, but both the RAW+JPEG remain on your memory card. Should be OK on an iPad 2 (I'm using the iPad 3). I haven't found the battery life to be a big issue. Some of this depends on how bright your iPad screen is, and your sleep settings.

And yes, you can use LiveView on the screen in real time. You can change the exposure, focus, and fire the camera if you like.

If your Wi-Fi connection is slow, or there isn't Wi-Fi available where you're shooting, you can still connect directly. The initial setup can be a little bit fussy, but once you get it, it's a great feature.

Aug 29, 2013 at 09:33 AM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 6D + iPad + wifi

Hey thanks Mr. Joe

Can you set it up that you see the LiveView image on the iPad, but don't download the image after you take a shot? I don't want the images on the iPad, I just want to use the iPad screen as an enlarged LCD so to speak.

Aug 29, 2013 at 05:20 PM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 6D + iPad + wifi

I haven't tested, but I bet if you set the camera to RAW only that will work.

If not, you could always set the camera to RAW+JPEG with the smallest possible JPEG size.

Aug 30, 2013 at 02:35 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 6D + iPad + wifi

Now we just need to get color management added to the iPad app.
That make this reallllly sweet and mega useful.

Aug 30, 2013 at 05:04 PM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 6D + iPad + wifi

skibum5 wrote:
Now we just need to get color management added to the iPad app.
That make this reallllly sweet and mega useful.

I guess that would be useful if you need QC on JPEG output that goes directly to the client. But when using the iPad for framing and checking details, and doing PP on a color managed computer afterwards, it doesn't matter much... to me anyway

Aug 31, 2013 at 06:01 AM
Yukonica
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 6D + iPad + wifi

Daan, EOS works fine on every generation of iPad. I use a cast-off 1. My wife has a 4... in between is speculation on my part. Connecting direct 6D to tablet is really pretty seamless if you stick with the auto settings. Once paired, the iPad sees the camera as just another network to select. I use a Galaxy 7 as well as the Apple at times. Switching networks requires either dumping the settings or spending more time than its worth to create different profiles (reset and auto is fast).
You do have the option of downloading images to the tablet but it isn't very inefficient. Dreadfully slow if you only shoot in RAW. Jpeg may be reasonable.
WiFi sucks the camera battery dry pretty quickly. Carry a spare battery.

Aug 31, 2013 at 10:36 AM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 6D + iPad + wifi

Thanks Yukonica, really helpful.

Aug 31, 2013 at 12:20 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 6D + iPad + wifi

Daan B wrote:
I guess that would be useful if you need QC on JPEG output that goes directly to the client. But when using the iPad for framing and checking details, and doing PP on a color managed computer afterwards, it doesn't matter much... to me anyway

It would be helpful so you could quickly adjust WB and color in the field to match conditions (don;t say just use whibal and such since that destroys interesting natural colors and is only useful for particular types of shooting).

For video that used to be particularly useful since you couldn't adjust things much at all later on even if you remembered how to and if you shot going by an LCD that had colors way off you'd be somewhat stuck with that. With ML RAW it's more like for stills now though.

Aug 31, 2013 at 02:41 PM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 6D + iPad + wifi

skibum5 wrote:
It would be helpful so you could quickly adjust WB and color in the field to match conditions (don;t say just use whibal and such since that destroys interesting natural colors and is only useful for particular types of shooting).

Again, why would I want to color correct in the field (if I am shooting RAW)? I'd rather do that in a room with consistent color temperature. Lighting conditions in the field vary way too much.

Aug 31, 2013 at 06:20 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 6D + iPad + wifi

Daan B wrote:
Again, why would I want to color correct in the field (if I am shooting RAW)? I'd rather do that in a room with consistent color temperature. Lighting conditions in the field vary way too much.

Because it's hard to get it right once you back. It's great to be able to match in field. And again we are not talking studio portraits where you can use a whibal or something.

There have been entire giant threads here with people struggling with this issue and no solution has ever been given in any thread. In field monitoring with color calibrated display is the only known way.

Aug 31, 2013 at 08:08 PM
UCSB
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 6D + iPad + wifi

^^ I've never pursued it (I'm an Android user), but I have seen references in the past for color calibration on the Apple iPad. Can't remember if it was XRite or the Spyder system; it can be done.

EDIT: like this

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2011/5/26/datacoloriPad

Sep 01, 2013 at 02:19 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 6D + iPad + wifi

UCSB wrote:
^^ I've never pursued it (I'm an Android user), but I have seen references in the past for color calibration on the Apple iPad. Can't remember if it was XRite or the Spyder system; it can be done.

EDIT: like this

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2011/5/26/datacoloriPad

yeah, the one thing about that and the similar thing I was going to write myself is you need to wifi over a small jpg look go back and adjust wifi over another and it takes some time doing all that and you risk losing the light; I still might give it a shot and see how it goes

But if the liveview feed on the ipad was programmed to use a color profile then you'd be talking, just spin the WB and profiles around in real time and see it change on the ipad in real time and hopefully get it dialed in fast enough to not be a bother. it's 100% more than doable in practice. I'm not sure if canon gives any developer hooks to allow you to do it yourself if you wrote some code or if they'd have to do it themselves.

Sep 01, 2013 at 02:52 AM
lsquare
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon 6D + iPad + wifi

When using the iPad or any other iOS device connected to the 6D, can I enable a grid for compositional purposes on the iPad such as the rule of thirds?

Sep 01, 2013 at 03:28 AM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon 6D + iPad + wifi

skibum5 wrote:
Because it's hard to get it right once you back. It's great to be able to match in field. And again we are not talking studio portraits where you can use a whibal or something.

I don't have any issues with adjusting WB when I get back. I will have issues doing it in the field because I have to take the lighting conditions/reflections of the environment into account. And they can differ from minute to minute. Doesn't matter if the monitor is calibrated. Like I said, a color temperature consistent studio (and a calibrated monitor) is the best solution for this work IMHO.

I never use a WhiBal card or something like that in the studio. My lights have consistent color temperature output.

There have been entire giant threads here with people struggling with this issue and no solution has ever been given in any thread. In field monitoring with color calibrated display is the only known way.

Adjusting WB becomes easier with experience and the right tools. Adjusting WB in the field only makes things more difficult IMO. But YMMV

Sep 01, 2013 at 12:36 PM
lsquare
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon 6D + iPad + wifi

lsquare wrote:
When using the iPad or any other iOS device connected to the 6D, can I enable a grid for compositional purposes on the iPad such as the rule of thirds?

No one here knows?

Sep 03, 2013 at 02:06 AM
bobdriz

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon 6D + iPad + wifi

I'm having trouble connecting my 6D to an iPad air. I have the 6D enabled, in settings on the iPad I can see the 6D network, but when I choose it I get "unable to join network". Any ideas?

Apr 17, 2014 at 12:05 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.