FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5              7       8       end

Archive 2013 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

smmokan16
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

Thanks Steve... I'll be in town tomorrow afternoon.

Sep 26, 2013 at 02:25 PM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

Thanks too Steve. I'll be there about 5pm tomorrow through Sunday AM. Looks like I'll hit just right - for once!

Peace,

Todd

Sep 26, 2013 at 05:19 PM
Steve Park
• • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

"check weather report before leaving"

It's been raining through the night, tapering to mist at 9:30AM.

Here's a couple of images taken yesterday. Some areas are showing intense colors while others are still green. Along the US 24, north of Leadville shows a lot more colors.

1. Crested Butte
2. Along US24 north of Leadville

Sep 27, 2013 at 10:32 AM
chumat

p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

Hi all, I have been helping my girlfried's mother move between properties in Norwood and Montrose. Dallas Divide has been consistently changing every day, but we have had some serious high winds the last two days. I will be heading down there in a few hours on my way to ride Last Dollar Road into Telluride and can report back. I was in Telluride two days ago and it was still very green. But from Norwood I can see that Mt Wilson got pounded with snow last night so I'm sure things will be moving along very quickly. Looks like very overcast skies today.
Yesterday I road 550 from Montrose to Silverton and saw the best color I've seen on the western slope between Ouray and Silverton, as one user reported above. We had some dramatic skies there yesterday, but the wind made things very diffucult. There were lots of groups all taking the same pictures along the road, so a 4x4 with high clearance is really recommended to get anything unique IMO.
The best color I've seen in the state was probably in Brecknridge area on my way out from the front range earlier this week.
Last year I was a week late and it looks like this year I'm a week early.. typical!

Sep 27, 2013 at 01:33 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

chumat wrote:
Hi all, I have been helping my girlfried's mother move between properties in Norwood and Montrose. Dallas Divide has been consistently changing every day, but we have had some serious high winds the last two days. I will be heading down there in a few hours on my way to ride Last Dollar Road into Telluride and can report back. I was in Telluride two days ago and it was still very green. But from Norwood I can see that Mt Wilson got pounded with snow last night so I'm sure things will be moving along very quickly. Looks like
...Show more

Thanks for the update, for sure let us know what you find on Last Dollar Road.

Jim

Sep 27, 2013 at 08:20 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

Driving along highway 50 from Delta to Grand Junction today around sunset I somehow caught a glimpse of the most spectacular clouds that had formed over the San Juans. I hope someone took advantage of those skies tonight.

Sep 27, 2013 at 09:44 PM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

Just got into Crested Butte. Came over I-70 from Denver to Glenwood, down to west side of Kebler and over to CB. Color in Summit County looked to be about 30-40% along. Vail had great color at the top, not so much at lower elevations. The area around Carbondale was showing 10-15% while down towards Marble and McClure Pass it was more like 25-30%. As for Kebler, the west side is no where as far along as the east side. Parts of the west side are at 5% with some patchy areas of 30-40%. Over on the east side it ranged from 25-50% with patches of 75%+. Weather did not make for good photography with a rain/snow mix most of the time. There were a couple of modest breaks and I tried to get something, but the light was generally uncooperative. Good new is that the weather is supposed to break overnight and so the rest of the weekend could be pretty nice.

Peace,

Todd

Sep 27, 2013 at 10:01 PM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

Here's a shot from the west side, looking west towards Ragged Mountain. As you can see, not much happening yet.

Peace,

Todd

http://www.everythingtouches.com/photos/_DSC4969.jpg

Sep 27, 2013 at 10:09 PM
Steve Park
• • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

Drove to Ouray and over to Red Mountain Pass toward Silverton (turned around just pass the summit).

The peaks were covered with fresh heavy snow the night before. The areas leading to summit were in FULL COLOR - green, dark green and a lot of yellow with some hint of orange. Here's a couple of mages taken this afternoon.
See them and judge yourself.

Steve

Sep 27, 2013 at 11:32 PM
chumat

p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

JimFox wrote:
Thanks for the update, for sure let us know what you find on Last Dollar Road.

Jim

Last Dollar was still extremely green. And muddy. I was scouting under Bridal Veil Falls, which has come along nicely since two days ago, around 25% I'd guess. It wasn't long before I got snowed out and everything went gray over the San Juan's, in addition to the winds starting to pick up. I began heading back on 145 towards Norwood, where it looked as if the storm had cleared, and saw some nice color progress along the San Miguel River, but the winds were too strong for any longer exposures with crisp leaves. I took backroads from Placerville to Norwood, where I saw thick, bright yellow coverage at the base of snow-covered Middle Peak, not to mention some of the most dramatic skies I have witnessed in a while. Lots of cows too. That was about it for color change, but I did see some incredible monsoon-esque conditions at golden hour, followed by a toxic sunset. Tomorrow I plan on taking Sanborn Park Road from Norwood to Montrose through the Uncompahgre National Forest. While this isn't the most dramatic route, it's a nice, quiet scenic byway on the way to Grand Mesa. I'll report back with whatever I find.

Sep 28, 2013 at 12:54 AM
stanparker
• • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

Over a million dollars worth of camera gear today (9/28) along the Million Dollar Highway from Ouray to Red Mountain Pass, with beautiful weather, fresh snow and lots of color. I also got some shots at Yankee Boy Basin and along County Roads 5 and 7 near Ridgway. Dinner at True Grit, a nice day all around.

Sep 28, 2013 at 09:55 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

Hey Stan, that sure sounds nice. Any snapshots? Pics of your iPhone? A photo is worth a thousand words, especially when it comes to fall color.

Jim

stanparker wrote:
Over a million dollars worth of camera gear today (9/28) along the Million Dollar Highway from Ouray to Red Mountain Pass, with beautiful weather, fresh snow and lots of color. I also got some shots at Yankee Boy Basin and along County Roads 5 and 7 near Ridgway. Dinner at True Grit, a nice day all around.

Sep 28, 2013 at 10:08 PM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

Here's a hurriedly processed (and on a laptop) pic taken this afternoon on Kebler Pass. As you can see, not much color yet.

Peace,

Todd

http://www.everythingtouches.com/photos/KP02.jpg

Sep 29, 2013 at 12:28 AM
astv99
• •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

I did my own investigation of the fall colors all day today (9/28). My route was Hwy 285 southwest from Denver over Kenosha Pass, a quick swing by the south end of Boreas Pass, over to Cottonwood Pass near Buena Vista, then up to Twin Lakes and the east end of Independence Pass (didn't bother going up past effective treeline for the aspens).

I didn't take any pics until I got to Cottonwood Pass because everything up until then was very early. Hwy 285 in general needs at least another week. The most color along Hwy 285 was at the Kenosha Pass summit near the Colorado trail, but even that was very sparse. The south end of Boreas Pass was also very green and needs another week at least. It was only about 15-20% yellow. The entire area between Fairplay and Grant on Hwy 285 was still very green and I'd guess will need another week or so to peak.

Cottonwood Pass was early in general and needs another week to develop. The summit of Cottonwood Pass was blanketed in snow, so those looking for wintry backdrops may want to head there.

The east end of Independence Pass was better, with a good general mix of yellows, light reds, and pale greens. The groves below Mt Elbert were very colorful from a distance, and the general area around Twin Lakes including the Mt Elbert Dam should be very good in a few more days. Lots of awesome views in that area that will look especially good at sunrise.

Glad I headed up today, it reassured me that next weekend should be prime for most of the fall color in the state, as I made plans to head to Aspen & Kebler Pass for 10/4-7.

These are all just quick handheld snapshots. No processing except for sharpening & levels tweaks, otherwise straight out of camera.

Cottonwood Pass

Cottonwood Pass summit

Twin Lakes area, facing Mt Elbert

Lower east end of Independence Pass, 1

Lower east end of Independence Pass, 2

Up near Mt Elbert Dam (above Twin Lakes), facing the mountain

Sep 29, 2013 at 03:31 AM
stanparker
• • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

A couple of quickies from Ouray area, 9/28.

http://www.pbase.com/sparker1/image/152615250.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/sparker1/image/152615244.jpg

Sep 29, 2013 at 08:05 AM
PV Hiker
• • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

I was sent a email from my gal visiting a good friend in Colorado. They have been driving around and have this report and a picture near Kebler Pass from I believe from a I-Pad.

Color most places is at least a week from peak. Lots of green in the Crested Butte, Aspen and McClure Pass areas. Some brown leaves but not much. A few patches of good color but few and far between.

Sep 29, 2013 at 06:23 PM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

A shot this morning on Ohio Pass. Not much color (even if it was a spectacular sunrise).

Peace,

Todd

http://www.everythingtouches.com/photos/OP01.jpg

Sep 30, 2013 at 12:02 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

Well,
Looks like you Denver area folks are going to have to come back this weekend!

Here's something I found... Not sure how valuable it is. http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/gmug/home?cid=stelprdb5332370

Sep 30, 2013 at 07:26 AM
chumat

p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

Just drove through Dallas Divide and the scrub oak is beautiful - orange, red, yellow, green. Couldn't get a picture because I was driving my lady to work in Telluride where I will be scouting further.
Does anyone have a suggestion for downsizing iPhone snaps to 800pix within the phone? I don't have access to a computer. I could post some stuff I saw the past two days on my trips to Woods Lake and Silverjack Reservoir. Lots of green aspens, but most of the other foliage was turning very nicely.

Sep 30, 2013 at 02:13 PM
PV Hiker
• • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

Another report I recieved from email. Image is from a I-Pad and is small size:

Maroon Bells this morning, Monday, September 30. Colors may be prime at the lake now, but not on the surrounding hills. Some aspens at the end of the lake have lost their leaves, while aspens on the right slide of the lake are half green.

Sep 30, 2013 at 03:29 PM
1       2       3      

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.