Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda, JimFox
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines
One new topic per day

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3              7       8       end

Colorado Fall Color Reports

brad_w
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

As others have said, the Front Range, generally speaking, is anything east of the continental divide and west of the line of cities extending from Colorado Springs, through Denver and up to Fort Collins. I70 is the only route to or through the mountains in this area. I don't know the status of passes south of Colorado Springs. The Colorado Dept of Transportation maintains a list of road closures: www.cotrip.org

If you have plans to travel anywhere in the state, please contact your destination and verify that the area is accessible and has sufficient resources to support visitors.

Sep 18, 2013 at 03:36 AM
daskibum
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

brad_w wrote:
For those of you who are not aware of recent events here along the Front Range, be aware that most of canyon roads and communities have sustained very heavy damage. The Front Range mountains are inaccessible and are likely to remain so for weeks, possibly months. The city of Estes Park has requested that visitors stay away so that they can provide essential services to residents. RMNP is closed to recreational users. Authorities here are organizing the largest airlift evacuation since Katrina.

It's my understanding that the west slope was not heavily impacted, so I can't speak to conditions there but
...Show more

Family lives along the upper St. Vrain. They are being told it will be at least a year before they can get the canyons fixed and safe. US6 and Golden Gate Canyon (when they get it open again) are gonna be the only access points. In the near future any travel into the area will be restricted to commercial vehicles with supplies and residents only as the roads won't stand up to much traffic. Once they get repairs things will change, but that will be a month or 2...

For RMNP
http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2013/09/storms-ease-damage-rocky-mountain-national-park-revealed-lengthy-rehab-tap23937#.Ujhh392l1Sw.facebook

Sep 18, 2013 at 01:40 PM
Steve Park
• • •
p.2 #3 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

Sorry for the loss of lives, property and beautiful nature in the affected area.

Can anyone give recent update on the ASPEN COLORS in southwest?
Heading this way on 22nd for 2 weeks, planned this trip since July, desperately need some color reports. Thanks!

Sep 18, 2013 at 02:38 PM
Brad Williams
• •
p.2 #4 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

Steve Park wrote:
Sorry for the loss of lives, property and beautiful nature in the affected area.

Can anyone give recent update on the ASPEN COLORS in southwest?
Heading this way on 22nd for 2 weeks, planned this trip since July, desperately need some color reports. Thanks!

This Camera by Telluride is really starting to show come color:
http://coloradolivecams.com/colocam-telluride8.htm

I am leaving tomorrow afternoon and will be in Aspen on Friday so I can give a better update them.

Sep 18, 2013 at 03:26 PM
smmokan16
• •
p.2 #5 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

Looks like things are starting to change in Crested Butte too:

http://skicb.com/the-mountain/web-cams

Sep 18, 2013 at 03:40 PM
Steve Park
• • •
p.2 #6 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

Brad Williams wrote:
!

This Camera by Telluride is really starting to show come color:
http://coloradolivecams.com/colocam-telluride8.htm

I am leaving tomorrow afternoon and will be in Aspen on Friday so I can give a better update them.

Thanks for the webcam info.
Please update us as you get there. I am sure quite a few are anxiously awaiting for your update.

Sep 18, 2013 at 06:04 PM
Brad Williams
• •
p.2 #7 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

Steve Park wrote:
Please update us as you get there. I am sure quite a few are anxiously awaiting for your update.

I will!

Sep 18, 2013 at 07:10 PM
FarmerJohn
• •
p.2 #8 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

Hey all, this is my first year living in Denver and so my first chance at fall color photography in the mountains. I'm super excited! Looking for some locations to try out, and I'm willing to do some backpacking to get to good spots. I'm sure any normal hiking trail will be beautiful, but some suggestions would be nice too

I went to RMNP a lot this summer, so I'll think try out some new places since there has been so much flooding up there. I definitely plan to go to Maroon Bells and Hanging Lake at some point, but I'd like some closer-drive options as well. Anyone have some hiking ideas in the Frisco/Leadville area?

Sep 20, 2013 at 05:46 PM
Brad Williams
• •
p.2 #9 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

Here is the Fall Color I got this morning at the Maroon Bells:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1242679

Other than that, not too much color around Aspen.

However From the Eisenhower Tunnel, through Frisco, down to Copper Mtn., down to Leadville and up the East Side of the pass has lots of color. Probably not peak, but enough to keep me happy!

Heading towards capitol peak this evening.

Happy Hunting Everyone!

Sep 21, 2013 at 09:21 PM
Joe_A
• •
p.2 #10 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

Thanks for the reports and links everyone, Brad in particular.

I'll be there between Sept. 29 - Oct. 13, the only dates I can afford due to personal/work-related reasons. Brad, judging by what you've seen so far, would you think that might be late for the colours?

Thanks again.

Sep 21, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Steve Park
• • •
p.2 #11 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

Brad Williams wrote:
Here is the Fall Color I got this morning at the Maroon Bells:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1242679

Other than that, not too much color around Aspen.

However From the Eisenhower Tunnel, through Frisco, down to Copper Mtn., down to Leadville and up the East Side of the pass has lots of color. Probably not peak, but enough to keep me happy!

Heading towards capitol peak this evening.

Happy Hunting Everyone!

Thanks for the up to date report, Brad. Appreciated. I'll be heading up in 3-4 days, hope the color gets a little more intense.

Sep 22, 2013 at 12:27 AM
Brad Williams
• •
p.2 #12 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

The Colors seem to be changing a little bit more around Aspen/Snowmass Village. Color at the Bells Seemed even more vibrant this morning, but the bells were completely socked in the clouds. Nothing anywhere near peak yet.

Went to the Capitol Peak Lookout last night and it was 99.9% green still.

Sep 22, 2013 at 10:51 PM
skyinmotion

p.2 #13 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

Considering a brief jaunt out to the Capitol Peak/Kebler Pass areas next weekend. Comparing against photos from last year, it looked like this timeframe (9/28-29) would be on the late side, if anything. Now I'm worried about the opposite. Anxiously awaiting more reports this week.

Sep 22, 2013 at 11:16 PM
bpark42
• • •
p.2 #14 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

I took a drive down a portion of the Highway of Legends (highway 12) today from La Veta to Cucharas pass. There are very small hints of color at the higher elevations, but that's it. The Sango De Cristos look like they have quite a while to go yet.

I'm going to be making my way to the San Juans tomorrow or Tuesday. I'm hoping to see a little more color there.

Sep 23, 2013 at 02:19 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.2 #15 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

Last Year, the Aspen area (Bells, Ashcroft etc) peaked around this date (sept. 22). This year it is still way too green. Id say it will be at least a week before most groves are at peak. So think Sept. 28 into the first week of October easy. That is a good thing since it increases the chances of having good snow on the peaks along with the peak color. That is the preferred combination of elements.

Sep 23, 2013 at 02:19 AM
stanparker
• • • •
p.2 #16 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

I drove to Ouray today, going north on 145 through Rico and Telluride. There was some nice color in patches along the river, not aspen for the most part. There were only a few splashes of color in the aspens. Rain caught me at Ouray, so I haven't checked along 550 yet.

Sep 23, 2013 at 02:24 AM
msoomro
• • •
p.2 #17 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

Looks like the colors are turning a bit late this year than usual. I am going to be in Aspen area on 09/25th and then San Juan region 26 - 30. Keeping my fingers crossed.. :-)

This thread is very helpful - thanks all

Sep 23, 2013 at 02:28 AM
skyinmotion

p.2 #18 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

Sneakyracer wrote:
Last Year, the Aspen area (Bells, Ashcroft etc) peaked around this date (sept. 22). This year it is still way too green. Id say it will be at least a week before most groves are at peak. So think Sept. 28 into the first week of October easy. That is a good thing since it increases the chances of having good snow on the peaks along with the peak color. That is the preferred combination of elements.

There's a significant storm system moving into the Rockies mid-late week (believe it or not, I'm a meteorologist, so I've been tracking it on the computer models). I'm reasonably confident there will be at least some snow on the ground in the area by Friday. Too early to pin down snow level or amounts, of course. I'm actually hoping it's not too much too low that the roads to areas like Kebler Pass become difficult without a 4x4, but that is a possibility.

Sep 23, 2013 at 02:44 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.2 #19 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

skyinmotion wrote:
There's a significant storm system moving into the Rockies mid-late week (believe it or not, I'm a meteorologist, so I've been tracking it on the computer models). I'm reasonably confident there will be at least some snow on the ground in the area by Friday. Too early to pin down snow level or amounts, of course. I'm actually hoping it's not too much too low that the roads to areas like Kebler Pass become difficult without a 4x4, but that is a possibility.

Nice! Yeah, last year snow levels during the last week of sept. were around 10,500-11,500 feet which is perfect for the Maroon Bells shot and most others that include the high peaks. Hopefully high winds do not come along with the precipitation.

Sep 23, 2013 at 03:12 AM
David Ralph

p.2 #20 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

I am curious what the pink across the top 1/4 of the image is? Sky, mountain?

Sep 23, 2013 at 05:19 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password