Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              7       8       end

Archive 2013 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

DougDolde
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

Anxiously awaiting the color reports. One from last year.

DougDolde 2013

Aug 29, 2013 at 01:25 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

Some Aspen groves should peak around mid sept and generally most areas are best sept. 20-27 or so. It is hot still in the Colorado high country. Freezing levels are not forecasted to drop below the 14k-18k FT for at least the next 7 days.

Aug 29, 2013 at 02:42 AM
Brad Williams
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

Anyone have any new updates?

Sep 09, 2013 at 08:42 PM
Colorado CJ
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

I was up past timberline Saturday and seen a few branches on Aspens changing. No whole trees yet.

Most of the Aspen are still EXTREMELY green, its been raining almost every day in the high country, with that, and the heat, it may be a little later this year. Usually the peak is between Sept. 20-30 or so.

Sep 09, 2013 at 09:16 PM
DougDolde
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

I have a friend who was in Breckenridge this past weekend. He said it was still totally green

Sep 10, 2013 at 03:24 AM
astv99
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

I did Longs Peak last Saturday 9/7 and the general area around the trailhead up to timberline, plus the Peak to Peak Highway down to Nederland, was still almost entirely green.

Haven't been able to really get too far away from the Boulder & Estes Park area yet so I'd kinda like to see some reports myself, especially around the Aspen/Marble/Crested Butte area. Although since the summer in CO this year was so hot recently right up until last week (only today did it finally start getting down into the 80s in Boulder), I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the fall color will probably skew late this year. Maybe even into the 1st week of October?

I only saw tiny patches of yellow leaves on odd random trees up along the Peak to Peak Highway, teasing what's to come. So it'll probably be a good while until the collective forests turn.

Sep 10, 2013 at 03:35 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

I hope all the monsoon rains and winds don't knock all the leaves down. They were just barely changing yesterday in the Lasals. It will come fast now...

Sep 10, 2013 at 03:53 AM
coferg
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

Yes, time to set your mode dial .... A is for Aspens

Saw a few teasers in the high country over Labor Day weekend, but it was just the typical rare branch of gold here and there. This was taken on Sep 1, at the north edge of the Grand Mesa. Just a quick snapshot 3 minutes before heavy rain and hail.

regards - Jim

Teasers

NIKON D7100    105mm    f/8.0    1/640s    1250 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Sep 10, 2013 at 04:04 AM
Brad Williams
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

Its still raining every day up by Aspen. However next week looks like sunny with highs in the 60's and lows in the 40's. I hope they start to turn next week as I will be up in Aspen next weekend!

Sep 12, 2013 at 04:06 PM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

Anyone aware of color around San Juans?

Sep 14, 2013 at 06:52 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

smmokan16
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

I was in Aspen last weekend, and 99% of the aspens in the area are completely green. A few were showing signs of turning around their edges, and there were a handful of strands high up (11-12k feet) had changed completely. I'm guessing it'll be another couple weeks before we see any real progress.

Here's a shot looking west over Twin Lakes. You can see a few pockets of color but that's really it.

Sep 14, 2013 at 11:56 PM
iBill
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

I plan on being in the Aspen area around the 25-30th.
Would appreciate any color reports as that time gets closer.

Thanks,
Bill

Sep 15, 2013 at 08:24 PM
DougDolde
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

The Telluride webcam is a good guide. Looks pretty green so far.

http://www.visittelluride.com/discover-telluride/photos/webcams

Sep 15, 2013 at 09:28 PM
Brad Williams
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

Depending on the angle of the sun, this Telluride cam looks like there is some fall colors:

http://coloradolivecams.com/colocam-telluride8.htm

Also, the Pikes Peak Web Cam is showing a dusting of snow this morning around 8am MDT:

http://coloradolivecams.com/colocam-pikespeak1.htm

Sep 16, 2013 at 01:59 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

a very nice take on the Aspens in Fall.

Sep 16, 2013 at 02:20 PM
brad_w
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

For those of you who are not aware of recent events here along the Front Range, be aware that most of canyon roads and communities have sustained very heavy damage. The Front Range mountains are inaccessible and are likely to remain so for weeks, possibly months. The city of Estes Park has requested that visitors stay away so that they can provide essential services to residents. RMNP is closed to recreational users. Authorities here are organizing the largest airlift evacuation since Katrina.

It's my understanding that the west slope was not heavily impacted, so I can't speak to conditions there but this is NOT the year to visit the Front Range.

Sep 17, 2013 at 03:59 AM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

Hi Brad_w

What areas fall under 'Front Range'. Thanks

Sep 17, 2013 at 04:19 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

The first one was taken exactly one year ago today

The second was exactly 10 days later.

It's coming! Be ready!

NIKON D800E    24mm    f/22.0    1/2s    -1.3 EV  

NIKON D800E    85mm    f/11.0    1/10s    -0.7 EV  

Sep 17, 2013 at 04:51 AM
coferg
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

I am not sure if 'Front Range' has an official formal designation, but it is a common reference to the far eastern side of the basic north-south Rocky Mountain range. If you look at a Colorado or regional map, the mountainous areas are typically indicted, and often there will be a dotted line running north-south through the mountain area, depicting the continental divide. Front Range refers to areas east of the divide, essentially the first foothills and mountains that come into view when traveling from the east (on the plains) to the west. The rain clouds grouped up against the east side of the continental divide for a week and did their thing, thus the flood damage. If you look at a map starting at Denver and go west on I70, Denver, Evergreen, and Georgetown would consider themselves in the Front Range. But Breckenridge, Frisco and Vail would not, they are past the continental divide and are in the Central Mountains. regards - Jim

Sep 17, 2013 at 04:58 AM
astv99
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Colorado Fall Color Reports

Despite the recent flooding I'd still like to be able to get out to the Aspen area for fall shooting if possible. Anyone know if the roads from Boulder to I-70 are accessible - i.e., Highway 93?

The fall colors seem to be turning especially late this year for CO in general. Usually there's more this time of year even at Boulder elevation. I'm starting to think the weekend of 10/4 might probably have a good amount of color in the mountains still....

Btw, for those not aware of the flooding there's more info here: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1241314

And the Rocky Mountain National Park Web site confirms that it's closed until further notice for recreational use, so anyone thinking about heading there for photography should be advised that you'll probably be forced to turn around. And given the timing of the flooding, I wouldn't be surprised if RMNP is closed until summer next year, if not longer, because Trail Ridge Road typically closes by the end of October due to snow, and snow will only impede progress of rebuilding roads.

The thought of RMNP potentially being closed for the entire upcoming winter really bums me out, as I was really looking forward to snowshoeing & winter photography there.....

msoomro wrote:
Hi Brad_w

What areas fall under 'Front Range'. Thanks

The Front Range extends from Fort Collins to the north to as far as Colorado Springs to the south and includes Loveland, Lyons, Longmont, Boulder, Louisville, Broomfield, Denver & suburbs, and Castle Rock. There are a number of towns in the foothills as well that were heavily affected like Allenspark, Ward, Nederland, and Evergreen/Genesee. Estes Park as well but not sure it counts as part of the Front Range due to its proximity to the Divide.

For the out-of-state photogs who plan on fall shooting in CO, it's probably a better idea to approach CO from the west.

Sep 17, 2013 at 04:59 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password