New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · 70D Bad Pixels

atodzia
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 70D Bad Pixels

The red stuck pixel is back. I guess manual sensor cleaning will not get rid of it. Luckily, I got this camera at Amazon so I can order another and send this back when they get it back in stock or wait until the local BestBuy gets it in stock so it's easy to return if I get another one like this. I have a feeling it may be a common problem that people aren't seeing because of the subject matter or where the bad pixel(s) are located. It's been in a different place on the two cameras I have has.

Aug 30, 2013 at 04:04 PM
lowa2
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 70D Bad Pixels

Do it again, I've heard it can take a few tries.

Aug 30, 2013 at 04:13 PM
BennyR
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 70D Bad Pixels

I think you will be exchanging forever if you are expecting a perfect sensor. I understand wanting one though.

Aug 30, 2013 at 06:49 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 70D Bad Pixels

Aehm.. Camera shouldnt have any stuck/dead pixels visible when you buy it. And if it has it should be possible to map them out.

If neither of this is true, then its time for RMA.

Sensors are never perfect, even new ones have quite a bit of remapped pixels. Plus unless you put it through really heavy use it shouldnt make new ones. I have ages old cameras that dont show any stuck/dead pixels.

Given pixel density its not strange that there are some stuck pixels, but they should have taken care about that in quality testing..

Aug 30, 2013 at 07:10 PM
atodzia
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 70D Bad Pixels

Maybe they didn't do additional sensor quality control because Canon wanted to get this camera out early. The initial release date was mid-September. Because of this new "dual" sensor tech they may have more of a problem with dead pixels.

Aug 30, 2013 at 07:34 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 70D Bad Pixels

Mescalamba wrote:
Aehm.. Camera shouldnt have any stuck/dead pixels visible when you buy it...

My point exactly. Let Canon know.

Aug 30, 2013 at 07:37 PM
lowa2
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 70D Bad Pixels

Well I got mine today and have the same problem! Its more of a high ISO problem (1600 and above) though for me. There are strange looking spots on the images.

Overall, compared to my 7D though, I would give the 70D 1 stop of noise advantage over the 7D. ISO800 is really quite clean from my initial shots.

Edited on Aug 31, 2013 at 06:31 AM · View previous versions

Aug 30, 2013 at 10:27 PM
lowa2
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 70D Bad Pixels

7D vs 70D Sample shots. They are VERY unscientific. I took the images in RAW, cropped them in DPP, and uploaded them to smugmug. Take them for what they are worth.

70D ISO 800

http://lowa2.smugmug.com/Other/70D-and-7D/i-cbLFhc9/0/XL/70D%20ISO1600%20CROP-XL.jpg

7D ISO 800

http://lowa2.smugmug.com/Other/70D-and-7D/i-9jRZD2Q/0/XL/7D%20ISO800%20CROP-XL.jpg

70D ISO 1600

http://lowa2.smugmug.com/Other/70D-and-7D/i-cbLFhc9/0/XL/70D%20ISO1600%20CROP-XL.jpg

7D ISO1600

http://lowa2.smugmug.com/Other/70D-and-7D/i-75JSQ6H/0/XL/7D%20ISO1600%20CROP-XL.jpg

70D ISO3200

http://lowa2.smugmug.com/Other/70D-and-7D/i-Kn7QQHN/0/XL/70D%20ISO3200%20CROP-XL.jpg

7D ISO3200 (missed focus, but shows the noise)

http://lowa2.smugmug.com/Other/70D-and-7D/i-WGR89Ks/0/XL/7D%20ISO3200%20CROP-XL.jpg

70D ISO6400

http://lowa2.smugmug.com/Other/70D-and-7D/i-ZPqvJHk/0/XL/70D%20ISO6400%20CROP-XL.jpg

7D ISO6400

http://lowa2.smugmug.com/Other/70D-and-7D/i-4Sqt5qr/0/XL/7D%20ISO6400%20CROP-XL.jpg

Aug 30, 2013 at 10:48 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 70D Bad Pixels

The 70d has more aggressive noise reduction values per iso level than the 7d. Try taking your files and either equalizing the two nr values, or slide them to zero to compare.

Aug 31, 2013 at 03:19 AM
Roland W
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · 70D Bad Pixels

So hot pixels depend on the ISO, and especially the exposure time if it is long. Are you seeing them at all in daylight or cloudy type light levels? They are moderately common in longer exposures, and also much more easily noticed in large dark areas in an image. I agree with others that you should not be overly concerned with them.

And part of why you may be seeing them is that you are likely using the Canon DPP software, which obviously has a version that will read 70D RAW files. DPP does not have any feature or capability to automatically remove hot pixels, so they will show. You may be totally spoiled by Adobe software you have used with previous cameras, which automatically maps out hot pixels for you when it converts the RAW to display it, and you never notice them.

Aug 31, 2013 at 03:22 AM
lowa2
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · 70D Bad Pixels

TeamSpeed wrote:
The 70d has more aggressive noise reduction values per iso level than the 7d. Try taking your files and either equalizing the two nr values, or slide them to zero to compare.

The images were RAW.

Aug 31, 2013 at 06:29 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · 70D Bad Pixels

lowa2 wrote:
The images were RAW.

And you used DPP, which honors all in camera settings. Pull each raw up in DPP and go to the nr tab, check out the values. For example if you used a 7d and had the high nr set to standard in the camera, and shot at 6400, you would see 7/13. The 70d will be higher. Canon has started to bump up these values in the latest offerings, like the 6d, 5d3, sl1, etc.

This is why if you use the camera or DPP to produce jpg, the most recent camers with their improved jpg and nr software are producing nearly 2 stops better results, the largest improvement was in their software.

Or share your cr2 files and I will do the autopsy for you..

Aug 31, 2013 at 07:20 AM
lowa2
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · 70D Bad Pixels

Okay. I guess I should have clarified. I never use DPP....

I actually opened the 70d raw in dpp, and exported it as a TIFF. I then opened up the tiff in lr, and cropped to these.

Op, sorry for hijacking your thread.

Aug 31, 2013 at 07:44 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · 70D Bad Pixels

lowa2 wrote:
Okay. I guess I should have clarified. I never use DPP....

I actually opened the 70d raw in dpp, and exported it as a TIFF. I then opened up the tiff in lr, and cropped to these.

Op, sorry for hijacking your thread.

You are missing the point. DPP honors your camera settings including the NR values, regardless of what format you convert the raw to, JPG or TIFF. Unless you equalized the NR sliders on both, you are not getting a fair comparison. Instead of dismissing my advice, why not actually go back to your raw files, slide the NR sliders to zero and re-export to TIFF? While you do that, you can see how Canon is setting their NR to more aggressive values in the the most recent new offerings as compared to older offerings.

DPP opens the raw, applies all in-camera settings, and displays the results to you. You can change any camera setting in the different panels, picture style, color balance, curves, default NR values, etc. and when you export, whatever settings are set are then applied to your output file.

To provide some examples of this, using standard high ISO NR:
ISO 12800 on the 7D is 8/14, the 6D is 14/15, yikes!
ISO 6400 on the 7D is 7/13, on the SL1 it is 10/14
ISO 3200 on the 7D is 5/12, I believe the 70D will be at 10/11 (less chroma noise, good!, more lum though)

Example below, 100% on the right is a 16bit Tiff from raw through DPP honoring in-camera settings, the left is when I slide the 2 NR sliders down and re-export.

Aug 31, 2013 at 08:59 AM
lowa2
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · 70D Bad Pixels

Gotcha,

I'll start a thread with raws from both and post up some samples....

I'm used to Lightroom, so forgive my beginner tendencies...

Aug 31, 2013 at 10:15 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · 70D Bad Pixels

Not a problem, I have long since been advocating that a majority of the improvements seen over the past few years has not been hardware, but rather software/firmware. Even the raw processors that folks use, if they are not familiar, could produce very drastic differences in the final JPGs. Now that Canon has improved their raw->jpg engine and NR in-camera, they can now push their NR values higher, as we can see with the last 4-6 cameras they have come out with. People seem to be very happy with the JPG results now.

I use DPP just because Canon continually updates it to match their camera firmware, and I have bulk workflow laid out with it and Photoshop.

Aug 31, 2013 at 10:19 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.