New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · 70D Bad Pixels

atodzia
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 70D Bad Pixels

I just received a 70D from B&H today and took about 14 pictures. It has 1-4 bad pixels in a cluster that are stuck in the red position. I am waiting to get an RMA number from them. Hopefully this will be a no-hassle return.

Aug 28, 2013 at 06:03 PM
pablo7

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 70D Bad Pixels

B&H are pretty good on returns even if the item is not defective, I returned a D700 once no issues.

Aug 28, 2013 at 06:30 PM
lowa2
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 70D Bad Pixels

B&h recently shipped me a replacement lens even though I had not shipped my defective copy back yet!

I am a return buyer thats for sure!

Edit: did to try mapping out the models?

Aug 28, 2013 at 07:12 PM
atodzia
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 70D Bad Pixels

Luckily, I have another one coming from Amazon tomorrow that I was going to refuse delivery of because I was too late to cancel it. I would rather get a refund from B&H and go with Amazon because I have to pay return shipping from B&H and if I get a second one with a problem, it gets expensive, for the shipping. Maybe B&H got a bad batch.

On a positive note the 18 pics I took were to test out the noise at 800 and 1600 ISO for bird shots outdoors, some with sky, some in the shadows, and the noise is improved over the 7D that I had and sold earlier this year. The focusing using live view and the 400mm 5.6 L lens with Canon's 1.4 III extender was fast and accurate. There was a lag in taking the pic though, even after pre-focusing it using auto-focus and the touch screen. I am not sure what that is about.

Edited on Aug 28, 2013 at 08:42 PM · View previous versions

Aug 28, 2013 at 07:27 PM
WestcoastHD
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 70D Bad Pixels

I have never had an issue with returns through B&H. If the equipment is defective they send you a prepaid shipping label, so the return is at no cost. If you just did not like something, then you do have to pay return shipping. If you are exchanging something they will cross ship, but usually ask for a credit card, as do most retailers. If you did an exchange for a defective item and they didn't ask for a credit card you are fortunate to avoid the extra temporary charges.

Aug 28, 2013 at 08:30 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 70D Bad Pixels

I would love to see an exact side by side raw comparison to the 60D/7D to the 70D.

Aug 28, 2013 at 08:50 PM
dsr1
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 70D Bad Pixels

TeamSpeed wrote:
I would love to see an exact side by side raw comparison to the 60D/7D to the 70D.

Comparisons are nice to see but Canon has already stated that RAW OOC is comparable to 7D-60D but in OOC Jpeg we will see improvement. Sounds like new Digi 5+ sensor does a better job editing than the Digi 4 did

Aug 29, 2013 at 09:56 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 70D Bad Pixels

Sure, but I don't shoot JPG. Canon started the JPG engine improvement back on the 5D3, 6D and 1DX, so their software is improved finally. However, for those of us that have workflow defined with the raw up to the final product, the Canon JPG engine is still lacking.

Aug 29, 2013 at 10:43 AM
atodzia
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 70D Bad Pixels

B&H was fast and easy with the RMA. Received a second camera from Amazon and this one has one or two pixels stuck in the red position as well. They are in different spots on the frame. Now I am wondering if it is difficult for Canon to get clean sensor yields in manufacturing with this new sensor.

Aug 30, 2013 at 09:27 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 70D Bad Pixels

Have you tried the procedure to remap the hot pixels? I've done it on a Nikon before but never a Canon. Here's the first link I found with instructions for Canon bodies:

http://shmuliphoto.wordpress.com/2009/12/03/fix-hot-pixel-canon/

Aug 30, 2013 at 09:41 AM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 70D Bad Pixels

Did you try to map the pixels out yet? Take your lens off, put your body cap on, go into the sensor clean menu, select clean manually, and leave the camera for 30 seconds or more.

It should map the pixels out. Edit: darn, snapsy beat me to it!

Aug 30, 2013 at 09:43 AM
atodzia
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 70D Bad Pixels

I didn't try this. I will give it a shot.

Aug 30, 2013 at 09:53 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 70D Bad Pixels

Screw that, back it goes.

Aug 30, 2013 at 09:55 AM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 70D Bad Pixels

Paul Mo wrote:
Screw that, back it goes.

It's his second one, its worth a try.

Aug 30, 2013 at 09:58 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 70D Bad Pixels

You're right, but on the other hand I'd pull no punches with Canon about this if mapping fails.

Aug 30, 2013 at 10:12 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 70D Bad Pixels

atodzia wrote:
B&H was fast and easy with the RMA. Received a second camera from Amazon and this one has one or two pixels stuck in the red position as well. They are in different spots on the frame. Now I am wondering if it is difficult for Canon to get clean sensor yields in manufacturing with this new sensor.

There will always be defective pixels on any body, but people swear by the remapping method to make them go away.

Aug 30, 2013 at 10:39 AM
atodzia
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 70D Bad Pixels

My 5D Mark III does not have any pixel problems and never did. The same for my 5D Mark II and 5D. I don't think my 7D did either when I had it.

Aug 30, 2013 at 11:06 AM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 70D Bad Pixels

I've found that there is no such thing as a perfect sensor, but any hot pixels should have been mapped out during the production process.

As a sensor ages, it gains more hot pixels as well. I'd send it to Canon to have them mapped out, but check first to see if they have the process up and running for the new model.

Aug 30, 2013 at 11:12 AM
atodzia
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 70D Bad Pixels

The mapping out process with a manual sensor clean mentioned above seems to have worked. I took a few quick test shots and shot a 3 minute movie. No pixel problems that I could see. Thanks for that info.

Aug 30, 2013 at 11:42 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 70D Bad Pixels

Canon must have missed that step in the production. Glad it all worked out!

Aug 30, 2013 at 03:43 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.