FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2013 · Canon EOS 70D DXOMark results

matthewsaville
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Canon EOS 70D DXOMark results

Just more proof that DXO is smoking something with their "overall ranking" algorithm, IMO. The overall ranking puts this sensor below the Nikon D90 and D300s, from 2008. Having personally shot with those cameras and the 70D, well, I dunno what to say.

I am willing to accept DXO's DR testing as being pretty accurate to real-world conditions, but everything else I just ignore.

Having personally tested the 70D with the new Sigma 18-35 1.8, I have to say it is one incredible camera and it really does some amazing things. Canon still needs to desperately catch up to Nikon with respect to DR, but in every other respect IMO they have regained the top seat...

Just my personal experience...
=Matt=

Sep 11, 2013 at 03:56 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Canon EOS 70D DXOMark results

matthewsaville wrote:
Just more proof that DXO is smoking something with their "overall ranking" algorithm, IMO. The overall ranking puts this sensor below the Nikon D90 and D300s, from 2008. Having personally shot with those cameras and the 70D, well, I dunno what to say.

I am willing to accept DXO's DR testing as being pretty accurate to real-world conditions, but everything else I just ignore.

Having personally tested the 70D with the new Sigma 18-35 1.8, I have to say it is one incredible camera and it really does some amazing things. Canon still needs to desperately catch up to Nikon with respect
...Show more

DXo weights heavily the Low Iso sensor performance. In that regard they are not wrong about the 70D sensor being the same as much older cameras. At iso 1600 (like the sample posted) and above, Full frame Canon DSLRs have at least the same DR (or more!) than their Nikon counterparts. If you look at the graphs DXo makes of each sensor you can clearly see that. The crossover point, where the Canon matches the Nikon, is usually iso 1600, above that the Canon's are generally a touch better. BUT, with the cropped sensor Canon's that does not happen. They are below the latest Nikons throughout the iso range. When compared to the older Nikon's at base iso the 70D has about the same DR or even less but as you ramp up iso that changes and the Canon has better image quality throughout but at base iso it is not. And yes, the D90 still has better DR and Color sensitivity at all iso than the 70D. Canon has made some improvements but they are clearly dragging along with old (core) sensor technology. At least in what affects image quality. Canon has made a lot of improvements in other areas of the camera body but in regards to the sensor, they have not made much.

Sep 12, 2013 at 06:03 AM
EOS20
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Canon EOS 70D DXOMark results

DxOMark Canon 70D vs Sony A77 Video Auto Focus Test:

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Reviews/Canon-EOS-70D-video-AF-test-how-well-does-the-new-sensor-based-AF-perform

Sep 18, 2013 at 04:00 PM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.