4       end

Archive 2013 · Canon EOS 70D DXOMark results

keithreeder
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Canon EOS 70D DXOMark results

"60D fail....70D fail....crop sensor rebadge mania."

You can't not talk crap, can you?

The 70D's new sensor is bringing more new sensor tech to DSLRs than anything else that's come out in the last ten years, you flamebaiting troll.

Aug 31, 2013 at 04:42 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Canon EOS 70D DXOMark results

curious80 wrote:
Of course DxoMark doesn't tell anything about resolution.

Actually they've nothing worth reading or listening to.

Aug 31, 2013 at 04:59 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Canon EOS 70D DXOMark results

lsquare wrote:
I also doubt the new 7D MK II will perform any better.

You know, I fear you may be right. But if it proves to be true it will drive Canon users away in droves.

Aug 31, 2013 at 05:02 AM
lsquare
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Canon EOS 70D DXOMark results

Paul Mo wrote:
You know, I fear you may be right. But if it proves to be true it will drive Canon users away in droves.

I want to be wrong, but I see no evidence that the 7D MK II is going to be any better considering that it's going to be released in the near future. It's very likely the 7D MK II's sensor will share similar technologies with the 70D. I think we're probably a couple of years away from Canon's next generation of APS-C sensors.

Aug 31, 2013 at 05:51 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Canon EOS 70D DXOMark results

While I want everyone to have the benefit of massively improved technology, I personally am pretty happy with my current gears and would like to take a year or two rest before having the dreaded gearlust strike again.

Aug 31, 2013 at 02:32 PM
artsupreme
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Canon EOS 70D DXOMark results

keithreeder wrote:
"60D fail....70D fail....crop sensor rebadge mania."

You can't not talk crap, can you?

The 70D's new sensor is bringing more new sensor tech to DSLRs than anything else that's come out in the last ten years, you flamebaiting troll.

keithreeder....fail

Aug 31, 2013 at 02:45 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Canon EOS 70D DXOMark results

Jeff Nolten wrote:
While I want everyone to have the benefit of massively improved technology, I personally am pretty happy with my current gears...

Me, too. I'd be happy not to buy another body until around 2020.

Aug 31, 2013 at 03:23 PM
JulianDeLaRosa
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Canon EOS 70D DXOMark results

Sneakyracer wrote:
Not surprising. Low iso DR has been about the same for at least 6 years in Canon DSLR's. Maybe longer. They have made good improvements in the high iso range (both in color, noise and dr) but the low iso has basically stayed the same with some models having more shadow banding than others. The 1DS Mark 3 has the least banding IMHO of the higher resolution Canon DSLRs.

Plus one! I've been trying to explain this to many Canon users who want more DR but, many don't understand me bcoz' they have never used the 1Ds 3 sensor.

Sep 02, 2013 at 11:49 AM
pookipichu
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Canon EOS 70D DXOMark results

I purchased my 1DS3 almost 6 years ago, that there is nothing worth upgrading to is really sad. Really annoyed with some aspects of my D800 (non-pro body, non-pro AF), but otherwise, more annoyed with Canon for not having a real followup to the 1DS3.

JulianDeLaRosa wrote:
Plus one! I've been trying to explain this to many Canon users who want more DR but, many don't understand me bcoz' they have never used the 1Ds 3 sensor.

Sep 02, 2013 at 02:31 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Canon EOS 70D DXOMark results

Update: The Canon EOS 70D was just added to Canon's current bundle rebate page:

Canon EOS 70D bundle rebate page at B&H

Sep 03, 2013 at 10:08 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Canon EOS 70D DXOMark results

JulianDeLaRosa wrote:

It is only with the 1DX and 6D that they got ALMOST (but still not quite) to the 1Ds3 ISO100 DR in terms of the complete package of measured DR and banding.

70D may have gotten fully back to 1Ds3 levels of banding, maybe better, don't have a full black frame to look at yet though.

Edited on Sep 04, 2013 at 03:38 PM · View previous versions

Sep 03, 2013 at 04:01 PM
Tim Ashton
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Canon EOS 70D DXOMark results

artsupreme wrote:
keithreeder....fail

+1 He has never been able to utter an objective comment in all the years I have been with FM

Sep 04, 2013 at 12:20 AM
Hulot
• •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Canon EOS 70D DXOMark results

pookipichu wrote:
Really annoyed with some aspects of my D800 (non-pro body, non-pro AF), but otherwise, more annoyed with Canon for not having a real followup to the 1DS3.

The AF of the D800 betters the AF of the 1dsIII in many ways (face detection. LV AF, more options, higher sensitivity) I wouldnt say it is non-pro

Sep 04, 2013 at 05:32 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Canon EOS 70D DXOMark results

pookipichu wrote:
I purchased my 1DS3 almost 6 years ago, that there is nothing worth upgrading to is really sad. Really annoyed with some aspects of my D800 (non-pro body, non-pro AF), but otherwise, more annoyed with Canon for not having a real followup to the 1DS3.

Something is seriously wrong when user still comparing canon old/new sensor(s) performance last 7 years. Dream predictions from one to another body release have been falling aparts after review plus review and canon DR is still ranking at bottom over these years. That's an uncertainty improvement in near future for canon sensor. I can understand what you really try to say here because of myself...don't want to get the same DR department that i've already had in my hands seven years ago.

Until then, I am quite happy saving with 1ds2, 5d2 and 40d ancestors until they pass away. At the end of the day, IQ really does the counts and I don't see anything better in canon land as the way I am using them.

Sep 04, 2013 at 09:29 PM
pookipichu
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Canon EOS 70D DXOMark results

I don't use face detection or LV AF. As for higher sensitivity, I know that the D800 is rated with better sensitivity but I find that my 1DS3 has more reliable lock and focus.

Hulot wrote:
The AF of the D800 betters the AF of the 1dsIII in many ways (face detection. LV AF, more options, higher sensitivity) I wouldnt say it is non-pro

Sep 05, 2013 at 10:05 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Canon EOS 70D DXOMark results

You know, after seeing the shots produced by the 70D, while the DR still isn't there, the noise is so much better controlled that the new sensor is more than worth the upgrade for Canon crops by itself.

I'm literally just waiting on the comparisons between the 70D's traditional PDAF sensor and the one on the 7D for stuff like action- if it's even close, I may very well just wait for the fall/holiday sales to snap one up with the 18-135 or 18-200 if they come out with one instead of waiting for the 7D II.

And the videos posted by reviewers and FM members are nothing less than outstanding- definitely outshining the gimped video quality of my 6D, with the kit STM lenses being everything they promised to be and more. I'm actually very interested in how my 70-300 non-L will do with DPAF; it's a smooth operator most of the time, despite being just about as low as you can go, and sub-250mm seems to work fairly well as long as there's decent available light.

Sep 05, 2013 at 12:11 PM
EOS20
• • • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Canon EOS 70D DXOMark results

TDP 70D Review:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-70D.aspx

Sep 11, 2013 at 01:30 PM
halie
• • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Canon EOS 70D DXOMark results

Canon digital camera evolution reminds me of the iphone evolution, minor changes but they basically still just do the same thing. Meanwhile people wait for some breakthrough technology that they just aren't capable of producing.

Sep 11, 2013 at 02:45 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Canon EOS 70D DXOMark results

pookipichu wrote:

I agree. I still have my 1DS3 and also a 5D3. The 5D3 has some improvements in AF and also the High ISO image quality is better. The sensor in the 5D3 stays clean much much longer and never really picks up nearly as much dust as the one in the 5D1/2 or 1 series bodies. It is a huge time saver. But, low iso image quality is basically the same. Yes, kinda sad after 6 years. For my high resolution, high dynamic range and color depth/accuracy needs I had to heavily invest in medium format digital. Wish I would not have had to do that but the Canon DSLRs lagged behind. The Nikon D800E is close but still the MFDB gear is better.

Sep 11, 2013 at 03:17 PM
Paul Iddon
• •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Canon EOS 70D DXOMark results

For those talking about the sensor's performance:

This was taken in the garden, at ISO 1600 on the tripod, so a long exposure. Only edit was a burn across the brightest area a bit, but only a small amount. No sharpening, or NR applied, no other editing at all. Transferred from RAW to a tiff, and saved out as jpg.

I saved it as a jpg at size 3 for web uploading purposes and re-sized on Imageshack to 1024px. The light is the outside security light on the wall of the house, 5 or 6 yards away.

Exif:

Camera Maker: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS 70D
Lens: EF100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
Image Date: 2013-09-11 21:15:38 +0000
Focal Length: 100mm
Aperture: f/10.0
Exposure Time: 3.200 s
ISO equiv: 1600
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No (enforced)
Color Space: sRGB

Paul.

Sep 11, 2013 at 03:47 PM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.