Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Why do my colors change when Gamut Warning is turned on?

TJ Thorne
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Why do my colors change when Gamut Warning is turned on?

Hi,

I'm softproofing one of my images for print. The proof view shows some muddy colors in a certain area (where I have applied a light vignette). However, when I turn on gamut warning those muddy colors disappear and it looks a lot better.

The tones are blue/purple. I set my gamut warning color to a bright red.. so it's not warning me that they're out of gamut. They just look a lot closer to the original, non-proofed image.

I can't find any references to this via google. Has anyone run into this problem?

Aug 28, 2013 at 05:58 AM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Why do my colors change when Gamut Warning is turned on?

Going from soft proof to gamut warning, I've only experienced the area that is out of gamut to have the out of gamut area turn to gray (default out of gamut warning).

I wouldn't expect you should be seeing any other color changes since you're using the same soft proof profile.

Generally it's your highly saturated colors (often the blues) that go out.

I've often found (not always) that even if an area is out of gamut, it still prints well. You can try the various mappiing options (saturation, perceptual, etc.) to see what you get. Also, depending on the driver, you might be able to put more ink on the print which can enhance colors.

Aug 28, 2013 at 01:03 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Why do my colors change when Gamut Warning is turned on?

@ thinking out loud here.

Isn't the purpose of gamut warning to let you know that your monitor isn't capable of showing the color accurately because it is a color outside the space of the monitor's capability? If that is the purpose of the gamut warning, doesn't it need to be associated to your monitor profile in order to function to tell you that your monitor is fibbing to your. If your soft proof is set to a different profile with a different space (for the output device) and renders a different color, you monitor may reproduce that accordingly, but switching your gamut warning on, it defaults back to your monitor profile and you are no longer in your soft proof profile?

Again ... this is only guessing / asking the question?

Aug 28, 2013 at 01:31 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Why do my colors change when Gamut Warning is turned on?

Assuming we are talking about Photoshop, the Gamut Warning shows clipping with respect to whatever device/profile has been selected in the Proof Setup. This can be the monitor profile if you want it to be but usually you are selecting your target output device or ICC color space.

Both Proof Colors and Gamut Warning need to be checked at the same time if you want the soft-proof simulation and the gamut warning visible. If you are really seeing a color change when the Gamut Warning is turned on and off with Proof Colors being checked in both cases, I would say it is a PS bug or perhaps due to the way you have certain options set in the Proof Setup.

Aug 28, 2013 at 01:54 PM
Ho1972
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Why do my colors change when Gamut Warning is turned on?

CS5 had issues with color management when any GPU setting other than Basic was selected in the Performance prefs. Don't know what version you're using or if this is even remotely applicable.

Aug 28, 2013 at 02:03 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

TJ Thorne
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Why do my colors change when Gamut Warning is turned on?

I'm using CS6. Specifically.. the Bay Photo ICC Profile as downloaded.

I'm pretty new to a lot of this but I'm a quick learner.

Yes the soft proof is checked on in this case. And there's a color shift when I toggle between the gamut warning on/off. I'll try hitting up adobe and see if I get a response.

In either case... the gamut warning isn't changing my image, right? So if nothing is being highlighted as clipping then I should just ignore the color shift.

Aug 28, 2013 at 03:01 PM
redcrown
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Why do my colors change when Gamut Warning is turned on?

Not sure, but here is a possibility:

There is a bug in Photoshop (been there for several versions) involving soft proofing a colorspace to itself that sounds a lot like what you are seeing.

Example: take an image that is in Adobe98 colorspace and softproof it to the same Adobe98 colorspace with gamut warning off. The colors will change and look a bit funky. Definitely not right. Then turn gamut warning on and see the colors return to normal. Toggle gamut warning on and off to see the change. Repeat for any colorspace softproofed to itself.

So, if you have converted your image to the BayPhoto profile and then softproofed to that same profile you probably get the condition you are describing.

But if that's not the case, then need to ask - does the same thing happen with other profiles. If you take an image that is in Adobe98 or sRGB or ProPhoto and softproof it to some Epson or Canon printer profile do you see the same phenomenon? In other words, does it happen only with the BayPhoto profile?

Aug 28, 2013 at 04:21 PM
TJ Thorne
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Why do my colors change when Gamut Warning is turned on?

I have converted to sRGB and then proofed in Bay Photo.. who also uses sRGB. But I feel like I was seeing the same thing in ProRGB. I've tried so many different things that I forget what I've tried!

I gotta jet for a second but I'll try a different profile. This is honestly the first image I've ever soft proofed.. so I haven't played with other profiles.

I also posted the question to the discussion forums on Adobe. We'll see what happens there. Here's the link:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5634306#5634306

Aug 28, 2013 at 05:05 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Why do my colors change when Gamut Warning is turned on?

TJ Thorne wrote:
I'm using CS6. Specifically.. the Bay Photo ICC Profile as downloaded.

I'm pretty new to a lot of this but I'm a quick learner.

Yes the soft proof is checked on in this case. And there's a color shift when I toggle between the gamut warning on/off. I'll try hitting up adobe and see if I get a response.

In either case... the gamut warning isn't changing my image, right? So if nothing is being highlighted as clipping then I should just ignore the color shift.

Hmm pretty strange. If it is doing that who knows what else it is doing.

Aug 28, 2013 at 08:32 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password