New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Opinions on the best budget background support system

warrenjrphotog
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Opinions on the best budget background support system

I'm looking to purchase a background support system that will be portable and capable of photographing primarily head shot's up to full body portraits (I will be photographing primarily attorneys, MD's, etc).

I'd like some input from photographers on here that already have background support systems on what the best portable background support system is for indoor use (I could end up using it in places as small as a small to medium sized office).

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

So far I have my eye on this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/437786-REG/Impact_3046_Background_Support_System.html

But I'm thinking that it might be too large and a better deal might be out there on Ebay or Amazon.

All the best.

Aug 28, 2013 at 12:37 AM
dshipley
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Opinions on the best budget background support system

I picked up this one a few months ago for similar work - http://www.amazon.com/Ravelli-ABSL-Backdrop-Cushion-Stands/dp/B003TLSXMO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377719874&sr=8-1&keywords=Ravelli+ABSL

Has been great so far and appears to be very similar to the Impact kit you listed.

Aug 28, 2013 at 03:01 PM
Roland W
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Opinions on the best budget background support system

You should probably go for a kit like what you originally listed, and not try for anything "smaller". You do not need to use all the sections in the top bar if you want less width. You did not say if you were going to work with cloth background or seamless paper, but for cloth the kit you listed goes long enough to handle 10 foot wide cloth background. The smallest standard background paper is just under 9 feet, and some background supports will only handle that width and not full 10 foot cloth.

You are not going to want anything less than the 9 foot width. It is supprising how often you run out of background width with a 9 foot background, expecially if you are trying to have plenty of seperation distance between your subject and the background, and are working in a location that has limited space for you to back away from your subject.

I like stands that are a little more rugged than the Impact brand ones, but if you handle them carefully and do not overload them and do not overtighten the knobs on them, they should serve you well. You can add some padding to any carry bag to protect them a little better, and then still handle things carefully while you transport them in the bag.

If you all ready have any lighting stands that are similar but perhaps a little bit better built, you could consider getting more of the same stands, and then getting just a top bar to use with them. One top bar that I like is made by Manfrotto, but it only goes to 9 feet wide.

The "poor man" background cloth that you can get are top sheets made for King size beds, and they will be about 9 feet, so they will fit on a 9 foot top bar, or obviously a longer one. One edge usually has a wide seam that can be opened up on the ends to slide the sheet on to a top bar. Walmart is one source of those, and the last time I purchased one they offered only the top sheet, so you did not need to buy a set.

Aug 28, 2013 at 04:02 PM
warrenjrphotog
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Opinions on the best budget background support system

Thanks for the advice guys I really appreciate it.

I ended up going with the set that dshipley mentioned. It has air cushioned stands vs the impact stands, is larger while still being adjustable, has more positive reviews, and seems to be of higher quality than the impact set which I first mentioned.

I will be using seamless paper for now.

All the best guys.

Aug 28, 2013 at 06:40 PM
ravisrajan
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Opinions on the best budget background support system

dshipley wrote:
I picked up this one a few months ago for similar work - http://www.amazon.com/Ravelli-ABSL-Backdrop-Cushion-Stands/dp/B003TLSXMO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377719874&sr=8-1&keywords=Ravelli+ABSL

Has been great so far and appears to be very similar to the Impact kit you listed.

I have the same Ravelli stand and great quality ans easy to setup and not to worry about fingers due to air cushion stands. Highly recommended.

Aug 30, 2013 at 06:02 PM
g-money
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Opinions on the best budget background support system

I have been using this one for several years now and other than the bag tearing it is a great system.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/41824-REG/Photek_S_4010_4_Background_Support_System.html

Sep 18, 2013 at 12:40 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Opinions on the best budget background support system

I'm glad I looked in on this thread; a background stand is one of the few items I wanted that I didn't have, and the above-mentioned Ravelli Air-cushioned set looked like just the ticket at that price and with free shipping from Amazon, so I just placed my order. They say it should arrive in 5 to 8 days.

Sep 22, 2013 at 04:01 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Opinions on the best budget background support system

Well, my Ravelli ABSL Photo Video Backdrop Stand Kit arrived yesterday, and I have to say I'm a bit disappointed in the quality control.

The crossbar tubes all have scratches on them, enough so that I wonder if I received a returned used item.

To make matters worse, if the crossbar tubes are assembled and twisted to lock them, the holes in the end pieces that go over the stud on the uprights don't line up. If I twist the end piece enough to get it to slide over the stud, it comes unlocked.

There's enough length in the inserts to hold the tubes without sagging, but with them not all being locked there's a danger of them coming apart if someone pulls on one of the stands to move the setup.

Also, the length of the crossbar sections is such that three sections aren't long enough to clear the tube of a 9-foot seamless roll, and four sections leaves a silly amount of bar sticking out the ends of the tube.

The price was good, and overall the build is rugged enough that I think it'll hold up over time, but those three issues -- especially the safety factor -- make me unwilling to recommend this set to anyone else.

Oct 02, 2013 at 12:20 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.