New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Hanging off a cliff // senior

sboerup
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hanging off a cliff // senior

Been working my butt off on some non-portrait related projects since March and I've slacked on my posting! Just kicked off my 2014 season with some new locations and wanted to get some feedback.

As for skin, he specifically didn't want it to look overly touched up, so in case you're wondering...

Most of these were lit with a 15x40" strip box with Einstein. I'm always open to feedback!

Aug 27, 2013 at 10:42 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hanging off a cliff // senior

Very good set. Nice locations and compositions. I have a few nits/suggestions.

#1 Love the cliff. I do wonder if showing more space below the cliff next time would increase the drama of the shot. (Assuming there is open space below ) A portrait shot showing less behind him...

#4 & #5 He's kinda small in these two.

#7 Really like those railings.

#9 His shirt and left cheek are really hot/blown out and the hands are cut off.

#12 Quite attracted to this one. #13 Right as well.

Aug 28, 2013 at 12:37 AM
sboerup
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hanging off a cliff // senior

Thank you Jim, some great comments.

For #4 and 5, him being small in the photo was kind of the point

Aug 28, 2013 at 12:11 PM
mwalker973
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hanging off a cliff // senior

The clouds in #3 are pretty sweet. I like the composition and lighting.

Mike

Aug 28, 2013 at 03:43 PM
John Caldwell
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Hanging off a cliff // senior

Very nice images. I'll bet the family is truly pleased. You really got it all right photographically, in my mind.

The pose in 1 looks like it might have been physically dangerous to the young man- perhaps it wasn't at all dangerous. I wonder how you who do photograph seniors might handle the situation wherein the senior subject chooses to push the safety envelope during the shoot for the sake of a more eye-catching photo, but without his or her parents present during the shoot. It's easy to see how such a situation might arise given the age group, and the now commonplace world of senior similarly-styled portraits. If the child were a minor, as many are on high school graduation, the situation could be one worth thinking through in advance, meaning what your response might be.

My comments represent a genuine question are not intended to distract, in any way, from discussing your excellent shots, and how to approach a shoot of this kind photographically and otherwise.

Best wishes,

John Caldwell

Aug 28, 2013 at 03:59 PM
russdenney01
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Hanging off a cliff // senior

Nice series...

Am I correct in believing you had to use an ND filter to get the sky/backlit portraits in proper exposure?

Aug 28, 2013 at 06:12 PM
Josh Evilsizor
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Hanging off a cliff // senior

russdenney01 wrote:
Nice series...

Am I correct in believing you had to use an ND filter to get the sky/backlit portraits in proper exposure?

a graduated ND filter "could" help with that if you're subject wasn't filling the frame, but in these cases I'm sure a flash was used... Unless Spencer lives on some planet with two suns.

Aug 28, 2013 at 09:58 PM
sboerup
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Hanging off a cliff // senior

Thanks for the comments John! It's purely an optical illusion I would have shown a more "treacherous" cliff had there been one...but there was a rock about 4 feet below :P Pushing the envelope for the sake of a shot is NOT worth it, EVER.

russdenney01 - I use a 3x ND filter to help me achieve a more shallow DOF while using flash.
http://amzn.to/1dUNHvZ

Aug 29, 2013 at 06:56 PM
trilce84
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Hanging off a cliff // senior

classy shots

Aug 29, 2013 at 09:22 PM
warrenjrphotog
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Hanging off a cliff // senior

Overall, I love the photos, however there are some distracting elements in some of the photos in my opinion.

Some examples include the tree branch in photo 5, and the door knob a long with the gray door and boxes in the background in photo 6.

Aug 29, 2013 at 09:52 PM
David-D
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Hanging off a cliff // senior

Nice set. So glad to hear that #1 was only an optical illusion. My heart was pounding when looking at that pic.

I like the color processing on #2 the best.

I have a question about #5 - did you use fill flash on this one? If so, how far away was the flash and what type of flash did you use? Thanks in advance and also for sharing your set

Aug 30, 2013 at 01:49 AM
sboerup
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Hanging off a cliff // senior

thanks trilce and warren!

David, #5 had a stripbox on the subject...I take two shots since the softbox would have been in the frame (entirely), and then I take a second without my assisting holding the light. Then you just align both photos in PS, and mask out the softbox where its needed.

Aug 30, 2013 at 05:41 PM
JR Magat
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Hanging off a cliff // senior

overall they look great Spencer. The only thing I don't like is that the skin tone is very red in some; mainly in 7, 10, 11 & 13. Not sure if others are seeing the same on their monitors

Aug 30, 2013 at 05:53 PM
Cmmfl

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Hanging off a cliff // senior

OK...I have to ask....in #8 his belt buckle is showing. Is it a seatbelt buckle?

Aug 30, 2013 at 07:26 PM
sboerup
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Hanging off a cliff // senior

cmmfl, yes it was a seatbelt buckle!
JR - ya some are a tad red as the client specifically didnt want skin touchups to be overdone...some were mildly corrected, others were not, but I'll take another look :P

Aug 30, 2013 at 08:32 PM
varome
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Hanging off a cliff // senior

6,10 and 13 are the ones I like the most. Great job with the lighting in the harsh Az sun!

Aug 30, 2013 at 09:30 PM
sboerup
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Hanging off a cliff // senior

thanks varome, 13 is probably my fav too!

Sep 01, 2013 at 11:05 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.