Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Ruby Throats Again

Beautiful shots Birdie. Very well done.

Aug 28, 2013 at 04:08 PM
thomas_1950
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Ruby Throats Again

You really nailed those little guys Birdie! Crisp, That's one heck of a job. Nice going and keep up the good work!

Aug 28, 2013 at 04:35 PM
jjoejr
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Ruby Throats Again

I love these. Spectacular because they look very natural. The quality is fantastic.
John

Aug 28, 2013 at 05:23 PM
MS PHOTO
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Ruby Throats Again

What a awesome set Birdie

Aug 28, 2013 at 07:15 PM
sritri
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Ruby Throats Again

Lovelies Birdie

Aug 28, 2013 at 10:05 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Ruby Throats Again

They are all really nice, excellent color and clarity. Always enjoy seeing new hummer photos!

Thank you so much. Glad you are bored with them

Simply outstanding.

I'm guessing you used the D800 and the 500mm?

They are just so darn sharp and clear it is amazing.

Gene

Thank you so much Gene. Yes, the D800 and 500mm . I really am loving the D800

Really nice shots...I was wondering about the hitchhiker in that shot...I do like that one of it feeding while it's perched, but I do like the hummer shots that aren't so typical as you know. same as with the hitchhiker shot, at least we know birds get bugged too

Thank you Scott ! I am trying to catch them in different situations , glad you like them

Birdie- The Peanut Gallery thinks these are swell pictures .
Hooray- you go, girl. Or something like that .
Charlie

Thank you Charlie .

What an awesome set of hummers, Birdie. Great color and detail. Nice pose and beautiful flowers arrangement make your set fabulous. I love them.

- Tam

Thank you Tam. I appreciate it so very much .

Oh my god!!! I am a sharpness freak and you really nail the focus on number 3-4, you can see all the details around the eyes!! Number 6 is also really nice!! Can't wait to buy my supertelephoto lense! I am hesitating between 400 2.8 or 500 f4. The 400 would be more versatile for sport also but for wildlife and birds, the bigger lense the better! Did you try the 400 2.8 before you bought the 500?? I saw on b&h that you were disappointed with the 500 and tc.

I , too, am a sharpness freak . Glad you liked the shots. I went with the 500 for the extra reach and because of the weight. It actually is a little over 2 #'s less than the 400. For me that 2# makes a huge difference. I did end up sending the lens and TC to Nikon. They made some adjustments and now everything works wonderfully.
Good luck with your decision. It was agony to make the decision

great set of hummers Roberta

Thank you so very much Kenny !

I was just thinking that a day without a Birdie post was day lost and then I opened the Nature and Wildlife forum and there it was
I have said it before Birdie. Your work never disapoints
Tim

Tim, you are so very nice. I am glad you like them Thank you for you most generous comments.

Birdie
You amaze me again with your stellar hummers!!
It's # two for me!!
So glad you got one with the blue
As I said before I "LOVE" your new camera!!
Each time I see your photos more and more I crave a 1DX!
TFS
BeeBalm

BB, thank you so very much. Yes, I am loving the D800, no regrets about that purchase

A super set Birdie. All are tack sharp, well composed, and have very nice BGs. I'm surprised you didn't take a macro shot of the bug... ~ Ron

I couldn't get the hummer to stay still long enough ! Thanks so much Ron, really appreciate your comments .

Birdie

Aug 28, 2013 at 10:48 PM
Conrad Tan
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Ruby Throats Again

Holy smokes these are great Roberta!

Aug 29, 2013 at 12:40 AM
Desert Drake
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Ruby Throats Again

What magnificent pictures, Birdie. They are so pleasing to the eye.
Al

Aug 29, 2013 at 06:18 AM
JimLittle
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Ruby Throats Again

Just a beautiful series, so well done. A pleasure to view!!

Aug 29, 2013 at 09:11 AM
mallardg500
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Ruby Throats Again

This little guy keeps amazes us Birdie.

Phoo

Aug 29, 2013 at 10:54 AM
Ed Robertson
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Ruby Throats Again

Wonderful I love em. Ed

Aug 29, 2013 at 08:43 PM
Storm300
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Ruby Throats Again

Damn! These are the shots I'm trying to get eventually with my new garden.. but we just don't get a lot of hummers out here in western Kansas. Love this set! -Mike

Aug 29, 2013 at 10:44 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Ruby Throats Again

#3 & the last are my picks, and the perched bird feeding is quite nice too. Super looking set Birdie. Lots of good technical qualities in each shot too. Birdie, you go, girl. Or something like that (to quote Charlie).

Thank you Ken !

Gorgeous set of hummers Birdie.

Much appreciated.

Stunning, Stunning, & Stunning! Terrific images Birdie!!!!

Very kind of you , thank you

Gorgeous shots Birdie!

Thank you so much.

Excellent work Birdie and congrats on getting one on your Salvia Unfortunately for me that seems to what I have the most of this year These are all wonderfully sharp with the whole or most of the bird in focus My only nit would be the first with non of the face showing, I'm not a fan of that

Tim

Thanks so much Tim ! I'm not usually a fan of the covered face, but something about this one I kind of liked. Maybe it was because I got the whole bird in focus

Hi Birdie:

Your hummer shots have come a long way. Great improvement. You are establishing your style.

1. Crisp image, good bg, good pose, no pop, no eyes. I echo Tim's thoughts.
2. Crisp image, good bg, great pose, no pop.
3. crisp/strong image, good bg, classic pose, "POP"
4. crisp/strong image, good bg, Not as strong image as #3. POP is good at the head but is lost moving to the tail feathers.
5. I like the pose and crispness of the hummer but IMO, the bg (too much grey) kills the image.
6. Appreciation of wing blur or a lack thereof is subjective that being said, if most of the hummer is sharp, I am more accepting of large amounts of wing blur.

Birdie an excellent presentation Keep on shooting. When I am shooting, most of my plants/flowers are in pots. I arrange each to maximize the light and bg distractions. I prune away as much as necessary to enhance the shot. There have been times when I have moved plants into my house or pruned off flowers to isolated a particular plant. I do have flower plants which are in the ground but I keep them mostly pruned back. Keep on shooting.

TFS

Ted

Thank you so much Ted for your detailed reply. Your points are noted , taken to heart and will definitely work on them. I got some plants and put in pots today. Will see how that goes. Again, thank you for your help.

Wonderful shots Birdie, well captured
David

Thank you so very much David.

Excellent set! #3 is my fav!

Very nice work!

Thank you so much. Glad you like it.

Birdie

Aug 30, 2013 at 01:27 PM
Jo Dilbeck
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Ruby Throats Again

These are beautiful! The only thing I can say is that they are SO beautiful as to make my meager attempts at hummer shots look like a 3 year old with a Kodak Brownie I have come to the realization that I need to leave the hummers to the experts and enjoy the images vicariously through yours and others pictures!

Thanks for sharing!

Jo

Aug 30, 2013 at 01:53 PM
CDaescher
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Ruby Throats Again

Very nice set, Birdie.
Hey, is the one in image #2 cheating?
The last one is my favorite.
Chris

Aug 31, 2013 at 10:59 AM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Ruby Throats Again

Beautiful shots Birdie. Very well done.

Thank you !

You really nailed those little guys Birdie! Crisp, That's one heck of a job. Nice going and keep up the good work

Much appreciated Tom, thank you

I love these. Spectacular because they look very natural. The quality is fantastic. John

John, thank you for the very nice words.

What a awesome set Birdie

Much appreciated, thank you

Lovelies Birdie

Glad you like them, thank you

Sep 02, 2013 at 09:10 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Ruby Throats Again

Super work Roberta,

I think that is a gnat on it's head. I feel for the bird as it will not be able to scratch the itch. Did you rig the perch by the flower?

Great set,

Morris

Sep 02, 2013 at 09:13 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.