New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Getting even skin colors

Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Getting even skin colors

I'm struggling with have even skin colors when processing...it seems some areas look darker than others.

i'd like to see how you'd process it. If you want the raw, pM me and i'll add you to the dropbox acct to download the raw

Minimal processing done on this one, some sharpening on the eyes, brightness and contrast. Skin tones/texture has pretty much been kept the same.

Thank you

Aug 27, 2013 at 08:56 PM
hugowolf
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Getting even skin colors

What lighting did you use with this shot? Seems more of a lighting problem than a post processing problem.

Brian A

Aug 27, 2013 at 09:35 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Getting even skin colors

hugowolf wrote:
What lighting did you use with this shot? Seems more of a lighting problem than a post processing problem.

Brian A

natural light. The sun had pretty much already set. she is lying on the ground to the left is tall building.

Tech details: ISO 100, 50mm @ F2 1/250sec
Taken @ 6:46PM PST

Aug 27, 2013 at 09:42 PM
James_N
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Getting even skin colors

I suppose it depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Are you going for a high fashion look or do you want to retain a more natural look?

Minimal processing done on this one, some sharpening on the eyes, brightness and contrast

I see more than that; you lightened the lower right quadrants of her irises while the relatively flat lighting suggests that the primary light source was on or near the camera axis. Also, the absence of catchlights means there should not be any reflections in the lower portion of the irises; the physics of light dictates that for there to be a reflection in the lower iris(es), light must have first entered the eye opposite the reflection; i.e. through the catchlights.

Can you PM me a link to the raw file? Thanks.

Aug 27, 2013 at 10:17 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Getting even skin colors

James_N wrote:
I see more than that

There are a few things that bug me too. The hue/sat/tone of her yellow hair, the black outer rim/ring to her iris. The highlight areas on her face suggest either dodging or possibly some fill from below (off a nearby object/clothing maybe). As to the highlights in her eyes ... clouds

I gather the "on axis" primary light source James mentions was the open overhead sky. You mention the sun was mostly down, I suspect the sky was lighter near the horizon and the contours of her face are picking up on the variance in the brightness of the sky as it transitions from overhead to horizon @ AI=AR (facial contours) ... and processing/profile has accentuated those diffs.

Ambient light acts much like two lights instead of one. You've got the open overhead cool sky acting as a cyan gelled softbox and the specular direct sun acting like a warm bare bulb. In most instances the combination of the two (created by the prismatic separation from the atmosphere) are on close enough axis with each other to reassemble to act more like a single light. But when we get the closer the sun gets to the horizon and at a greater axis variance from the open sky, the more the sky/sun can act as two independent light sources of differing specular/diffuse quality and warm/cool color. Sometimes we can harness that for great effect, or sometimes it can creep in as a problem. I suspect that the gradient sky + AI=AR (facial contours) is partly in play here.

Can you just post up a small version of the raw for comparison (no real need for the large file)?

Aug 28, 2013 at 07:39 AM
Almass
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Getting even skin colors

Beautiful girl but "Minimal processing done on this one" is a question mark!

The usual problem with shadowless pictures is the shadow has got to be somewhere.
In this case, the shadow is from her left earing casting a "dark" shadow on her earlobe.
It is possible but not probable as the light is supposedly coming from above. Have you been using any reflectors?

If there is one shadow, we need to look for more shadows and we cannot find any.
However, upon color treating, we notice some inconsistencies as clearly marked in red.

Her left eyebrow show a distinct retouching on the base and so on....

It would be a good idea to provide a link to the original RAW file.

Aug 28, 2013 at 02:30 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.