Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Problem with Buff Cyber-Commander

jzucker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Problem with Buff Cyber-Commander

I periodically have a problem where the cybercommander does not fire the flash when triggered. When this happens, I can sometimes get it to start working by just cycling through random screens and options (not sure what exactly causes it to start up again) but once the glitch occurs, it will not fire the flash from the trigger/metering mode until I start switching screens.

This problem has occurred on 2 different units so I don't think it's a single defective unit. And it's happened several times outdoors but as far as I can remember, it has not happened indoors.

Anyone else have this issue ?

Aug 28, 2013 at 01:22 AM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Problem with Buff Cyber-Commander

jzucker wrote:
I periodically have a problem where the cybercommander does not fire the flash when triggered. When this happens, I can sometimes get it to start working by just cycling through random screens and options (not sure what exactly causes it to start up again) but once the glitch occurs, it will not fire the flash from the trigger/metering mode until I start switching screens.

This problem has occurred on 2 different units so I don't think it's a single defective unit. And it's happened several times outdoors but as far as I can remember, it has not happened indoors.

Anyone else have
...Show more

Have you tried ensuring it's snug in the shoe by holding it tight against the contacts? My PCB CS had that issue.

Aug 29, 2013 at 03:56 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Problem with Buff Cyber-Commander

jeremy_clay wrote:
Have you tried ensuring it's snug in the shoe by holding it tight against the contacts? My PCB CS had that issue.

not using it in the shoe. I'm using it only for metering. I'm using a cyber trigger in the shoe and whenever the commander cannot fire, the cyber trigger has always fired...

Aug 29, 2013 at 04:09 PM
hondageek
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Problem with Buff Cyber-Commander

Sounds like low batteries. The CCs tear through batteries pretty quickly. Also, try using channel 13 as that frequency generally has the least interference.

Occasionally my CC takes a press or two of the meter button to get the system to fire if it's been sitting idle for a few minutes.

Sep 05, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Problem with Buff Cyber-Commander

hondageek wrote:
Sounds like low batteries. The CCs tear through batteries pretty quickly. Also, try using channel 13 as that frequency generally has the least interference.

Occasionally my CC takes a press or two of the meter button to get the system to fire if it's been sitting idle for a few minutes.

I still haven't been able to totally characterize it. Buff suggested to try it on the camera the next time it happens and to also try the "dump" joystick button but they also said that those joystick buttons sometimes go bad and that is the likely cause of the problem. My issue is that I don't have a backup and have a bunch of sessions coming up so I can't send it in yet. I use it as a meter too but I've been bringing my sekonic 358 to recent sessions and have had to use it a couple times when the cyber trigger goes down. I'm considering buying a 2nd cybercommander as a backup.

I love the system though. Blows away the elinchrom BXRI-500 system I previously had even though it is more complicated to use and occasionally hard to see in bright light. I'd love it if buff came out with a simpler commander though but it's a tough market now with all the cheap, off-shore junk coming in and sites like strobist pushing bad lighting and speedlights!

Sep 05, 2013 at 01:10 PM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Problem with Buff Cyber-Commander

Try identifying the location where you most often have the problem. I'm also thinking it could be interference.

Sep 15, 2013 at 12:44 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Problem with Buff Cyber-Commander

RDKirk wrote:
Try identifying the location where you most often have the problem. I'm also thinking it could be interference.

there is no single location it fails in. We do a lot of location shooting all over the place and it just happens randomly through each shooting location. If it was interference, the transmitter on the camera's hotshoe would fail too. It doesn't. Also, even when it fails I can almost always set the power from the cybercommander but just not fire the trigger. Most likely it's just funky / cheap contacts in the trigger sensor mechanism. Buff is going to replace them if I can find a time where I'm not using them....

Sep 15, 2013 at 02:26 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password