Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Graphics card for Photoshop CC ?

jzucker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Graphics card for Photoshop CC ?

Running Win7 x64 on an i7-3820 based machine with 32GB of ram, 256GB SSD, several 2TB drives and a GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1GB 16X video card.

When I'm using the mixer brush and with the brush set to sample all layers, depending on brush size, I experience a large lag in rendering. When doing this, my CPU usage is around 10% and disk usage is also low so I'm assuming the graphics card is the bottleneck here.

Any thoughts?

Aug 27, 2013 at 02:19 PM
aubsxc
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Graphics card for Photoshop CC ?

The 650 Ti is a modern, powerful GPU and is likely not the source of the bottleneck. Does the mixer brush use GPU compute at all?

Aug 27, 2013 at 04:02 PM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Graphics card for Photoshop CC ?

How many layers are you sampliing?

Aug 27, 2013 at 04:17 PM
James_N
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Graphics card for Photoshop CC ?

Have you updated your graphics card drivers? My guess is that you're using older drivers that haven't been optimized or revised to support newer software like Photoshop CC.

Here's the lists of graphics card that were tested for Photoshop CS6 and CC:

Tested video cards for Photoshop CS6

Tested video cards for Photoshop CC

So the first thing I'd suggest is going to the Nvidia website and downloading the latest WHQL-certified drivers: Nvidia Downloads

I'd also go to Edit > Preferences >Performance; click on the Advanced Settings button and change "Drawing Mode" to Advanced.

jzucker wrote:
Running Win7 x64 on an i7-3820 based machine with 32GB of ram, 256GB SSD, several 2TB drives and a GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1GB 16X video card.

When I'm using the mixer brush and with the brush set to sample all layers, depending on brush size, I experience a large lag in rendering. When doing this, my CPU usage is around 10% and disk usage is also low so I'm assuming the graphics card is the bottleneck here.

Any thoughts?

Aug 27, 2013 at 04:51 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Graphics card for Photoshop CC ?

using the latest WHQL drivers and I have no idea whether a particular function in photoshop is using GPU computer but my photoshop performance tab is set to use graphics acceleration, drawing mode advanced, opencl.

I can replicate the problem with 2 layers. The background layer being an 8 bit 21MP image and drawing on a 2nd (blank) layer with the tool (either smudge or mixer brush) set to sample all layers.

Everything else is snappy.

Aug 27, 2013 at 05:15 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Graphics card for Photoshop CC ?

any other thoughts?

Aug 27, 2013 at 08:19 PM
zebrilhas

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Graphics card for Photoshop CC ?

jzucker wrote:
any other thoughts?

Running Win8 x64 on an i7-2600k based machine with 16GB of ram, 256GB SSD, several 2TB drives and a GeForce GTX 650 1GB 16X video card and don't experience any trouble doing that.

Aug 31, 2013 at 06:18 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Graphics card for Photoshop CC ?

zebrilhas wrote:
Running Win8 x64 on an i7-2600k based machine with 16GB of ram, 256GB SSD, several 2TB drives and a GeForce GTX 650 1GB 16X video card and don't experience any trouble doing that.

on the adobe forums, there are dozens with the same problem. The problem seems to be that the smudge and mixer brushes are single threaded so even with a multicore box with tons of memory you are CPU bound. Apparently the problem is well documented and adobe is on record saying that it would be very difficult to change the algorithm to use multiple threads/cpus.

Aug 31, 2013 at 07:04 PM
John_T
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Graphics card for Photoshop CC ?

jzucker wrote:
on the adobe forums, there are dozens with the same problem. The problem seems to be that the smudge and mixer brushes are single threaded so even with a multicore box with tons of memory you are CPU bound. Apparently the problem is well documented and adobe is on record saying that it would be very difficult to change the algorithm to use multiple threads/cpus.

"it would be very difficult to change the algorithm to use multiple threads/cpus." ...I might add GPU usage as well.

I have a feeling this is the crux of a number of Adobe issues, LR as well. See if there is also any lag difference between large and small image file sizes.

Sep 01, 2013 at 06:28 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Graphics card for Photoshop CC ?

John_T wrote:
"it would be very difficult to change the algorithm to use multiple threads/cpus." ...I might add GPU usage as well.

I have a feeling this is the crux of a number of Adobe issues, LR as well. See if there is also any lag difference between large and small image file sizes.

yes, there's a big difference based on image size, pixel depth (16 bit vs 8 bit), brush size and type of brush (captured brush for example)

It's almost useless on a canon 5d II, 16 bit file with a large captured brush.

Sep 01, 2013 at 07:12 AM
John_T
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Graphics card for Photoshop CC ?

My impression is to grin and bear it. I think Adobe has some work to do in managing and using resources, and in finding ways to use GPU power more to balance between GPU and CPU to get more work done. From what I have gathered, currently PS has an engine that uses the GPU more to the benefit of video, somewhat for PS and less or none for LR, and until they get that sorted out, we'll just have to wait and make the best out of what we've got. Of course I could be wrong and there is some hidden magic button, but if there is such, it is a well kept secret.

Sep 01, 2013 at 08:38 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Graphics card for Photoshop CC ?

John_T wrote:
My impression is to grin and bear it. I think Adobe has some work to do in managing and using resources, and in finding ways to use GPU power more to balance between GPU and CPU to get more work done. From what I have gathered, currently PS has an engine that uses the GPU more to the benefit of video, somewhat for PS and less or none for LR, and until they get that sorted out, we'll just have to wait and make the best out of what we've got. Of course I could be wrong and there is
...Show more

i think it's more a matter of priority for them. For example, the liquify tool was horrendously slow until CS6 but it's a very common tool . Smudge and mixer brush and the new brush engine were introduced to compete with products like corel painter and I don't think there is as big a demand for those tools working faster. Until then, they'll concentrate their efforts in other areas. FWIW, corel painter's performance is as bad or worse for their mixer and smudge brushes

Sep 01, 2013 at 09:12 AM
John_T
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Graphics card for Photoshop CC ?

My system is no slouch, but I recently upgraded my nVidia 470 to a 770 and it made little difference with Adobe products, so I don't think you will get much blessing in that direction. If you hunt the Adobe forums you will find many users inquiring about Adobe performance and harnessing the graphic card, but there is precious little from the Adobe side, other than the same litany they have offered for years "to speed up your system", intimating it's your fault if you aren't seeing the performance you want.

Harnessing the graphic card for Adobe products will require specific development and it doesn't appear to me that they are giving it much, priority, if any. Think I will get a Quadro K2000 graphic card for 10bit color, but I don't expect it will make any difference in the performance of Adobe products.

Sep 01, 2013 at 11:10 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Graphics card for Photoshop CC ?

I actually have a quadro 2000 card not being used (from another system). I was thinking of popping it into this computer. You think it'll make much diff? Seems like the improvements in performance have mostly been on the video end (as you mentioned) and some very specific things like real time rendering of liquify (which works fine on my current card)

Sep 01, 2013 at 11:46 AM
John_T
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Graphics card for Photoshop CC ?

You can certainly try it, just completely uninstall the 650 driver, put the card in and install the Quadro driver. The newer card is the K2000 with 2GB on board, Kepler architecture and other things, how ever, to my knowledge, PS will only use the 10bit color out of the bunch on the display port, and of course you will need the appropriate monitor to display it.

An architect friend of mine uses the Quadro 2000 for all of his architectural software and the card seems to work perfectly well for Win8 and LR as well. From all I can gather, the Adobe products will not use more of either the gamer card or the workstation card than what you currently have, though it is certainly worth a go at it.

Sep 01, 2013 at 12:26 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.