Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6       end

Archive 2013 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way

Evan Baines
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way

Really lovely shot!

Sep 08, 2013 at 03:24 PM
S. Calvino

p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way

This is photography at its finest.

Sep 09, 2013 at 05:15 AM
stevez32
• • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way

Quite nice!

Sep 09, 2013 at 03:18 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way

It looks very nice!

It's definitely not a natural shot in that no way can you see a sunset and the milky way at once so it's more of an art/cgi look type shot than a pure landscape photography shot, but it is a very awesome creative art type piece, very nice comp and look, perfect comp really.

EDIT: hmm ok so apparently that is actually the moon and not the sun so they could both be seen at once, to some extent, but I have a feeling it could still never remotely look like this to the eye something just seems to be not natural at all although I've just never been in the right scenario, especially since I thought it was the sun , but again there is pure photography and there is photographic art and both have their own place fully and as the latter it's really good (and yes considering the title I should never have thought about the sun but this what I get for being to lazy to even read the title or maybe I did sort of read it without really paying attention and then with the sunburst around it and the color and glow I just automatically thought the sun, granted the moon can really light up clouds in wild ways when full)

Sep 10, 2013 at 07:59 AM
Nickyb21
• •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way

Incredible, love the low clouds and the silhouettes really give this shot some character.

Sep 10, 2013 at 03:54 PM
IndyFab
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way

I kind of agree with skibum, in thinking it was a sunset, rather than a moonset, even though I read the title.

Never the less, it is a shot one does not see frequently, and for me never, which makes it Extraordinary !!!

After viewing several of your posts recently, I am definitely a fan of Jim Fox..

Sep 13, 2013 at 05:03 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way

Evan Baines wrote:
Really lovely shot!

Hey Evan, thanks so much, I am glad you like it!

Jim

Sep 13, 2013 at 09:51 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way

skibum5 wrote:
It looks very nice!

It's definitely not a natural shot in that no way can you see a sunset and the milky way at once so it's more of an art/cgi look type shot than a pure landscape photography shot, but it is a very awesome creative art type piece, very nice comp and look, perfect comp really.

EDIT: hmm ok so apparently that is actually the moon and not the sun so they could both be seen at once, to some extent, but I have a feeling it could still never remotely look like this to the eye something just
...Show more

Ha ha... I am thinking a bunch of you guys ought to stay up past 8pm....

I can't tell you how many times I have been up at night and the moon lit up the place up like it was daylight. Shadows on the ground, the whole nine yards. The moon after all is a little mirror that reflects the sun. You might recall I have a night shot from arches I posted a few months back where the setting moon actually had star rays coming from it do to the moisture in the air, so it looked like sun, but it was shot at 4:30am with stars in the background.

It puzzles me though that you keep insisting that this shot is "photo art" and not a natural photo when it captures exactly what I saw with my bare eyes. There is no compositing, nothing that would take it from being a real, single shot image. It is a 2 shot pano, simply so I could get more of the scene to the left of the Milky Way in it to better balance the composition. The main photo in this image stretches from the moon on the right to just past the Milky Way on the left side in the frame. That's why I took a 2nd shot that gave m the stars on the left.

Perhaps you should define what "Photo Art" is? To me photo art refers to something that isn't real, that is made up. But again, this is a single shot, no hocus pocus magic... Just a straight shot that is processed exactly the same way I do almost all of my photos.

I can imagine there are very few people that present there photos as real, that would appreciate someone telling them that what they captured was fake and not real...

Jim

Sep 13, 2013 at 10:11 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way

skibum5 wrote:
It looks very nice!

EDIT: hmm ok so apparently that is actually the moon and not the sun so they could both be seen at once, to some extent, but I have a feeling it could still never remotely look like this to the eye something just
...Show more

Sooo...most of the stars are not visible to the eye MOST of the time...and some are never...but a camera can record it...you know the peeps at NASA and the astro guys...so what you saying...its not natural for them to have photos of clusters, galaxies..you mean this whole thread http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1192050 here is.... CGI.

Sep 13, 2013 at 11:06 PM
Matt Anderson
• • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way

What an amazing shot!

Sep 13, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ckcarr
• • • • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way

It's all in the sensor sensitivity and dynamic range of that D800.

In Jim's hand, the d800 is like a phaser in Captain Kirk's hand!

Sep 14, 2013 at 01:03 AM
marty bober
• •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way

Nice, like it very much...

Sep 14, 2013 at 11:31 PM
childan

p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way

Fantastic shot Jim! I love everything about it. Stars, moon, and clouds.

Mar 19, 2014 at 03:13 PM
Chaz
• • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way

I loved everything about this scene except the fact that it wasn't mine!

Delighted that it has come around again for another squint!

Bravo! CLAP!! CLAP!! CLAP!!

Hope a 40x60 (or whatever the proper aspect ratio is) of this is hanging somewhere!!

Mar 19, 2014 at 04:40 PM
Picture This!
• • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way

Nicely done Jim !

Mar 19, 2014 at 04:57 PM
mike reid
• • • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way

gorgeous light...love it