Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines
  

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       4       5       6       end
  

Archive 2013 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way
  
 
viczig
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way


What a stunning image.


Aug 28, 2013 at 12:16 PM
Alan Brock
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way


Absolutely gorgeous image here! When I first saw it and before I read your commentary, I immediately thought composite. It's wild how the clouds held the moon back, and yet didn't obscure the Milky Way. Perfect timing! I don't think I've ever seen and image with both the moon and the MW. The beauty of the image and the technical aspects that made it possible make this a really special image you have on your hands!


Aug 28, 2013 at 02:39 PM
camboman
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way


Great image!

It looks like you have captured day and night all at once!



Aug 28, 2013 at 02:44 PM
Justan
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way


Beautiful and represents pretty close to the state of the art for tools and talents.

To the OP: what will you do to improve this kind of composition in the future?



Aug 28, 2013 at 02:50 PM
andyjaggy82
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way


That's a really nice shot Jim. I don't normally care for star shots as they seem a bit kitschy to me usually, but this one really works, probably because there are a lot of interesting elements besides just the stars.


Aug 28, 2013 at 03:05 PM
thw2
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way


Beautiful!


Aug 28, 2013 at 03:44 PM
nburwell
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way


I hope you plan on printing and framing this, Jim. Another solid image from you, but I wouldn't expect anything less.

-Nick



Aug 28, 2013 at 05:09 PM
Matt Tilghman
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way


Very nice Jim, I like this a lot, but it's not among my favorite of your recent showings (because they've been so stellar lately). The sky is just a littleeeee bit too blurred for my taste. I really like the bottom landscape part though, and might have even preferred a panorama that focuses on that.


Aug 28, 2013 at 05:16 PM
roman.johnston
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way


Magical image Jim. The silhouette of the trees, the sky with some drama in it yet can still see the stars...wonderful combo.

Roman



Aug 28, 2013 at 06:53 PM
Sunny Sra
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way


Did i already say "I hate you" and/or "you suck!"...well just in case...

i hate you and you suck!

lets do lunch



Aug 28, 2013 at 07:46 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



Bart Carrig
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way


Extraordinary image, Jim. As good as it gets.

Bart



Aug 28, 2013 at 09:21 PM
JimFox
Offline
• • • • • • •
Moderator
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way


Alan Brock wrote:
Absolutely gorgeous image here! When I first saw it and before I read your commentary, I immediately thought composite. It's wild how the clouds held the moon back, and yet didn't obscure the Milky Way. Perfect timing! I don't think I've ever seen and image with both the moon and the MW. The beauty of the image and the technical aspects that made it possible make this a really special image you have on your hands!


Hey Alan, yeah, no composite here. The secret to shooting the moon besides timing, is to have some clouds to diffuse the light some. I took some shots when the moon was a bit higher in the sky, and for sure the Milky Way was much less visible. So as I was shooting I kept my eye open for when the moon would get closer to the horizon knowing that it's light would be diffused enough to let the Milky Way start to take center stage.

I am glad you like the shot!

Jim



Aug 28, 2013 at 11:53 PM
JimFox
Offline
• • • • • • •
Moderator
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way


Sunny Sra wrote:
Did i already say "I hate you" and/or "you suck!"...well just in case...

i hate you and you suck!

lets do lunch


Ha ha... yeah, you have said that already...

For sure, let's do lunch, maybe Friday or next week.



Aug 28, 2013 at 11:54 PM
JimFox
Offline
• • • • • • •
Moderator
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way


Matt Tilghman wrote:
Very nice Jim, I like this a lot, but it's not among my favorite of your recent showings (because they've been so stellar lately). The sky is just a littleeeee bit too blurred for my taste. I really like the bottom landscape part though, and might have even preferred a panorama that focuses on that.



Hey Matt, I am glad you like the shot, and I appreciate your thoughts on why it's not among your favorites of mine. Course, it is hard to have every shot be a favorite shot... well maybe just for a few minutes...

Jim



Aug 28, 2013 at 11:56 PM
JimFox
Offline
• • • • • • •
Moderator
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way


Justan wrote:
Beautiful and represents pretty close to the state of the art for tools and talents.

To the OP: what will you do to improve this kind of composition in the future?


Hey Justan,

Thanks so much! I am glad you like the shot. As to the future, I am not sure there is anything I would do different, I was really pleased with the way it turned out.

But in regards to the future, and future star shots... Each time I go out it's different, the weather, the lighting, even the weather forecast can lead you to expect certain conditions and yet it turns out to be something totally different. I am sure you are the same way in that every time you go out, you build on past experiences. So even if I am not consciously thinking about it, the old mind is off working away on things to do different.

Jim



Aug 29, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Kee Woo Rhee
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way


Oh, Boy! What am I looking from my sick bed!
Just wonderful, Jim. I know now what your secret weapon is. Weight Lift!!! Yup!
Your photo quality is exponentially growing higher and higher.
I feel like that I should not post any here not to embarrass myself.
I am going back to my bed deep under my blanket!

No lunch!

Kee



Aug 29, 2013 at 12:25 AM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way


I agree with the previous comments. Just outstanding and unique work Jim!


Aug 29, 2013 at 12:47 AM
roguecoolman
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way


Beautiful Jim! You got all the night time elements, the moon, the stars, the milky way. Maybe a couple of comets here and there and you'd have the perfect night sky image :0

Jason



Aug 29, 2013 at 03:28 AM
philtax
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way


That is one cool shot Jim! I like the color and the wide view. The low clouds add tremendous texture.

Phil



Aug 29, 2013 at 05:18 AM
JimFox
Offline
• • • • • • •
Moderator
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way


rhee wrote:
Oh, Boy! What am I looking from my sick bed!
Just wonderful, Jim. I know now what your secret weapon is. Weight Lift!!! Yup!
Your photo quality is exponentially growing higher and higher.
I feel like that I should not post any here not to embarrass myself.
I am going back to my bed deep under my blanket!

No lunch!

Kee


Ha ha... thanks Kee! Yep, get out to the gym and start pounding those weights, better photographs are guaranteed!

Hope you are feeling better.

Jim



Aug 31, 2013 at 01:33 AM
1       2      
3
       4       5       6       end




FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       4       5       6       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password