Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3              5       6       end

Archive 2013 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way

JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way

dgdg wrote:
Wow, fantastic. You could write a book from your photos talking as much about where and why as you would technique and post processing.
Studying it heavily with my novice eyes, I do notice some uneven noise and coma/streaking from the milky way leftwards. Does this have something to do with the pano and your iso settings which are different for the moon compared to the darker milky way? I am surprised the milky way is that vivid during moonset. Wow.

Ben, properly exposed and processed I think you can have fine astro shots with your 5DIII. If you had a
...Show more

Thanks so much, I am glad you like it! I guess I ought to look into writing down a few things...

These were both shot at the same settings, ISO 4000, 30 secs at f5. Once I get a setting going, I pretty don't much change it until the light starts changing from the moon setting, etc... The moon at this point was not much of a factor as it was so low and there were clouds. Earlier, say 10 or 10:30pm it was brighter and I was shooting away from it more, though I did still take a few shots in that direction at that time. But mostly I was working the Tatoosh range then.

The area around the moon though was a bit brighter, so I did use a layer mask to bring down the exposure and make the scene blend a bit better from a sky perspective, but I don't think it was much different, perhaps 2/3rds of a stop?

Jim

Aug 27, 2013 at 10:07 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way

you suck

Aug 27, 2013 at 10:54 PM
ChrisKayler
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way

The low clouds certainly make this one. Well done controlling the exposure here.

Aug 27, 2013 at 11:55 PM
MS PHOTO
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way

Wow, stunning shot. always like to see shots of Rainier.
Paul

Aug 28, 2013 at 12:18 AM
JimKied
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way

Spectacular! And I am beginning to envy your ability to be everywhere whenever you want. Can't wait to retire......

Aug 28, 2013 at 12:45 AM
Cookies
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way

Beautiful Jim. Great catch with the setting Moon!

Chris

Aug 28, 2013 at 12:57 AM
nikon65
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way

Great shot !!!

Todd

Aug 28, 2013 at 03:47 AM
Evan Baines
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way

Lovely!

Aug 28, 2013 at 04:02 AM
uintaangler
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way

Not only is this one of your best in a recent string of awesome images, it is one of the more striking images I have seen in some time
Way to go Jim

Bob

Edited on Aug 28, 2013 at 01:11 PM · View previous versions

Aug 28, 2013 at 04:08 AM
Colin Giersberg
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way

Hey Jim, that is a beautiful image, one that I can just imagine laying on the ground looking up at nature's majesty.

Aug 28, 2013 at 04:45 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

brockwhittaker
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way

It's a pretty cool shot, but is there any way to salvage some of the detail in the mountains?

Aug 28, 2013 at 05:17 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way

Justin Grimm wrote:
I can answer that....Nope :P He was there after me.

Cool shot Jim, you got some nice cloudy conditions. Personally I would crop out the left side to rid of the streaked stars, and totally blacken out a few of the front speks. Minor though and the rest is great

Also I should ask, how is it stitching stars? Do the programs align the small sources of light well or do you need to manually line them up?

Hey Justin, thanks so much! Maybe I am biased, by the stars that are streaking slightly don't bother much really. Course, now that you mentioned it, it's probably going to bug me...

I used PTgui for the pano. I didn't zoom into 100% looking to make sure every star lined up, I visually couldn't tell where it was stitched at, so that's good enough for me. Hopefully no one gets upset if a star in that area is missing, or was added...

Thanks again,

Jim

Aug 28, 2013 at 06:00 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way

brockwhittaker wrote:
It's a pretty cool shot, but is there any way to salvage some of the detail in the mountains?

Hey Brock, I am glad you liked it. I imagine I could salvage detail in the mountains, but I have no desire to. I actually darkened some of the lighter areas to let it go dark. If you want to see a shot where the mountains have more detail, stick around, I will post a different shot in a few days where the mountains will be screaming detail because the moon was up higher and bathing that area with light. So stay tuned...

Jim

Aug 28, 2013 at 06:02 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way

JimKied wrote:
Spectacular! And I am beginning to envy your ability to be everywhere whenever you want. Can't wait to retire......

Ha ha... thanks Jim! I tell you, it's fantastic. And I retired early, I took a bit of a hit on my pension, but it was worth it to retire 7 years early and still be young enough and spry enough to run around mountains and scamper around where needed...

Jim

Aug 28, 2013 at 06:04 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way

dwa652 wrote:
This is fantastic Jim. I really like composition. Lots of visual interest here and it flows well thanks to the layer of clouds.

But I am curious about one thing ... you actually had 2 tripods with you on this hike? I have done that when shooting from a car in the old days but never on a hike like this. How much weight were you carrying?

Hey Don, I am glad you liked the shot. Sometimes when shooting at night, you are never quite sure how things will turn out, especially throwing the moon into the equation like this. But I can say I was very very pleased when I viewed these later on the computer.

Ha ha... well as to weight. Yep, two tripods, I still use the big old Manfrotto's. When replacing one of my older ones a year ago, it did get upgraded to the carbon fiber model, so it's a bit lighter, but the other one is still the heavy old aluminum 3021 version. I am guessing the weight was about 45 lbs or so. I had my full camera pack, 2 bodies, extra food and water. Knowing it would be a late night I was carrying a blanket and extra winter jackets for a friend who went shooting with me there. It was heavy enough that my friend couldn't lift it. It's a reason why I still trail run at home and also lift weights. There is so much to capture out there and I don't want my not being in shape the reason why I couldn't capture something.

Jim

Aug 28, 2013 at 06:11 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way

This one is nice! The best yet!!
I feel like I'm there.

Aug 28, 2013 at 06:37 AM
Scott Kroeker
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way

Excellent result! Man I want a D800 so bad!!!!!

Aug 28, 2013 at 07:02 AM
kwilliam8
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way

I have come back to this image three times now. I guess I like it a lot! Jim, this is just beautiful.
Keith W.

Aug 28, 2013 at 07:04 AM
rpope
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way

Gorgeous shot Jim!!!

Rich

Aug 28, 2013 at 07:18 AM
DSC01
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way

Jim, this is really sweet, excellent comp. It looks like it all came together here great job. Regards,
Dean

Aug 28, 2013 at 11:10 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password