Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              5       6       end

Archive 2013 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way

JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way

Congratulations to JimFox for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 14 votes - View Previous Winners

The moon sings it's last song as it slips below the horizon and the Milky Way then takes it's place in the night sky...

While I had the D800 off point towards the north taking this shot with Mt Rainier https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1235327 I was using the D600 to shoot the Milky Way, the moon and parts of the Tatoosh range. When shooting stars at night, I really enjoy having the two camera bodies out shooting different things, it helps keep the night going.

So this was from a few weeks back, the moon set just before midnight or so. This is a 2 shot pano. There was a bit of clouds on the western horizon which helped keep the brightness of the moon in check, and also created some cool looks. I have an earlier star trail over the Tatoosh range where the moon was really lighting up the place nicely, but that will be a post for another day.

All thoughts and comments are welcome.

Jim

Aug 27, 2013 at 01:25 PM
Bjadelberg
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way

Cool shot Jim love the low clouds!

Aug 27, 2013 at 01:38 PM
Rohanban
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way

tutorial please?

Aug 27, 2013 at 01:38 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way

This is really neat. I prefer this to star trail shots. I envy the Nikon shooters the low noise, I gave up this sort of work on my 5D3 because of noise.

Aug 27, 2013 at 01:42 PM
Steve Dublanko

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way

Wow, I really like this Jim. Well done.

Aug 27, 2013 at 01:45 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way

Wow, fantastic. You could write a book from your photos talking as much about where and why as you would technique and post processing.
Studying it heavily with my novice eyes, I do notice some uneven noise and coma/streaking from the milky way leftwards. Does this have something to do with the pano and your iso settings which are different for the moon compared to the darker milky way? I am surprised the milky way is that vivid during moonset. Wow.

Ben, properly exposed and processed I think you can have fine astro shots with your 5DIII. If you had a shootout side by side comparison with the Nikon, would they differ? Probably, but I wouldn't give up this kind of work if you enjoy it. I have had nice milky way images from my retired 5DII.

Aug 27, 2013 at 02:14 PM
Chaz
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way

Gorgeous scene, beautifully processed.

The composition, contrasting colors and cotton-candy cloud blanket make this a stunner.

My standard envious praise is triggered by a post like this, to wit: "Get some BIG wall space ready!"

Aug 27, 2013 at 02:15 PM
JustinPoe
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way

Love this shot Jim. Those low clouds look killer.

Aug 27, 2013 at 02:22 PM
Jo Dilbeck
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way

WOW, just WOW. That's all I got..........................

Jo

Aug 27, 2013 at 02:39 PM
dalongfellow
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way

Jim--this is one of my favorite "star shots" I've seen posted in a long time. A really good landscape composition and all the elements working together give it a real edge. Thanks for posting!

Dave

Aug 27, 2013 at 02:45 PM
dwa652
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way

This is fantastic Jim. I really like composition. Lots of visual interest here and it flows well thanks to the layer of clouds.

But I am curious about one thing ... you actually had 2 tripods with you on this hike? I have done that when shooting from a car in the old days but never on a hike like this. How much weight were you carrying?

Aug 27, 2013 at 02:58 PM
philber
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way

Remarkably cool, Jim! Well done!

Aug 27, 2013 at 03:54 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way

That's really exceptional Jim! What a fantastic shot - love it!

Aug 27, 2013 at 04:15 PM
zeelichsheng
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way

I think I know when this was. Was it the weekend of July 20th?

Aug 27, 2013 at 04:15 PM
Justin Grimm
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way

zeelichsheng wrote:
I think I know when this was. Was it the weekend of July 20th?

I can answer that....Nope :P He was there after me.

Cool shot Jim, you got some nice cloudy conditions. Personally I would crop out the left side to rid of the streaked stars, and totally blacken out a few of the front speks. Minor though and the rest is great

Also I should ask, how is it stitching stars? Do the programs align the small sources of light well or do you need to manually line them up?

Edited on Aug 27, 2013 at 04:34 PM · View previous versions

Aug 27, 2013 at 04:28 PM
dsjtecserv
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way

Jim that's beautiful. Conceiving of this composition is one thing, but pulling it off while simultaneously doing another difficult night shot in the other direction is something else. One suggestion: if dgdg is correct about the smearing of stars at the extreme left and to a less extent, extreme right, being a result of the anamorphic "stretching" when using a rectilinear panorama projection, then you might apply a cylindrical projection. Since there are no buildings or other things that would suggest the need for a rectilinear projection, a cylindrical one would not show obvious distortion and would not be subject to the edge stretching. On the other hand, it is not so obvious that anything really needs to be done, anyhow!

Dave

Aug 27, 2013 at 04:28 PM
bktools
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way

Jim,

That is a really super image. Print it big!

Bob

Aug 27, 2013 at 04:37 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way

Rohanban wrote:
tutorial please?

Ha ha.... Yeah, I have to work on that...

Jim

Aug 27, 2013 at 04:41 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way

A really cool shot. Thank you for sharing.

Aug 27, 2013 at 04:48 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · The Moon Serenades the Milky Way

ben egbert wrote:
This is really neat. I prefer this to star trail shots. I envy the Nikon shooters the low noise, I gave up this sort of work on my 5D3 because of noise.

Thanks Ben, I am glad you like the shot. I prefer these too I think, but I do have a heart for shooting star trails also. It might come from back as a teenager, and all we had was film. So to shoot stars back then, they had to be star trails. I remember many a camping trip to Joshua Tree as a 17, 18 year old and setting up my camera outside my tent and locking in the bulb for a 6 hour exposure...

As for the 5D3, it's no secret that Nikon has really nailed the high ISO end ever since the D700/D3. But I do think that the 5D3 did improve slightly from the past 5D. If you aren't happy still with the noise at night, maybe you just have to learn to like star trails where you can shoot at lower ISO's?

Jim

Aug 27, 2013 at 04:49 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.