Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Traveling international with lithium batteries

msessions

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Traveling international with lithium batteries

Hey all,

I'm heading to India in October via Thai Airways originating in Taiwan. Last year I traveled with my Profoto 7b with Lithium battery (150wh) and for the most part had little issues with China Airlines.

They insisted that I go with the battery carry on. Coming back the Indian airport security insisted it be checked in. This was a bit of a hassle considering I'd already been delayed an hour at the front of the airport and final call was happening as I went through final security. No time to properly pack my $xxxx battery pack and when it arrived at my destination it came tumbling off the luggage belt (AARRRRRGGGHHH).

It seems different airlines have different criteria for air travel. I contacted a domestic carrier in India to make sure I'd be able to fly with the gear and they came back with a resounding NO! I wonder a little if it's best to just show up without asking.

Btw, The Profoto Lithium batteries are flight certified and you can download the paperwork via their site.

Aug 27, 2013 at 07:16 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Traveling international with lithium batteries

UN manual of Test & Criteria, Part III, Sub-section 38,3

did you read it?

is it recognized and used by each countries aviation safety organizations (FAA CAA) today or has, since recent issue, each country strengthened their own rules ?

Aug 27, 2013 at 03:37 PM
msessions

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Traveling international with lithium batteries

I haven't read the specifics of the "UN manual of Test & Criteria, Part III, Sub-section 38,3" but the Profoto certification is specific to that section and has listed successful test results for each section.

Reading through the IATA regulations for my particular battery specifications, it is indicated I need prior permission from the airline. My concern is that with whoever I contact, there will be a great chance they won't want to take responsibility or the time provide a written approval.

Last year when I traveled I actually went to the airport to ask if there was going to be any problems. The travel desk said no, it just had to travel with me in carry on.

When departed India the security staff in no uncertain terms were going to let the battery go as carry on.

You can see right here there is a discrepancy in policies that at least on the part of the Indian security people, is in no way related to regulations laid out by the IATA. I'm leaning towards not drawing attention to the equipment and having all the certification and IATA documentation handy if I have trouble during check in. My preference would be to go with carry on since I'll have a long layover in Bangkok.

I'm just curious if anybody else has had to deal with these issues.

Aug 27, 2013 at 04:44 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Traveling international with lithium batteries

Li batteries have become contentious issue.

you can have all the IATA/UN documentation you want but when it comes down to it you will be at the mercy of the airline you are traveling on and it will vary with each. the only way you are going to insure ease of travel is actual authorization from that airline allowing its transport in the way they specify.

going and surprising them may not end up being a good travel method.

Aug 27, 2013 at 09:59 PM
GoGo
• • •
p.1 #5 · Traveling international with lithium batteries

FED EX Freight, is my preferred method of shipping gear.
If you want it to be there no matter what...

Aug 28, 2013 at 05:24 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password