Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

Zeiss 16-70 f4 for NEX

freaklikeme
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · Zeiss 16-70 f4 for NEX

joanlvh wrote:
thank you all for the sony lens designation explanation, zooks ! apparently there is also a G mount?

Nope, there is a G line. It's how Minolta and now Sony designate their high-end optics, like Canon's L line.

Aug 28, 2013 at 04:55 AM
Taylor Sherman
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · Zeiss 16-70 f4 for NEX

douglasf13 wrote:
Right on the front of the lens. ZA are for a-mount, ZA "E" are for e-mount.

Oh, hah. OK

Aug 28, 2013 at 05:06 AM
alundeb
• • • •
p.3 #3 · Zeiss 16-70 f4 for NEX

freaklikeme wrote:
Nope, there is a G line. It's how Minolta and now Sony designate their high-end optics, like Canon's L line.

And just to complete the confusion, the 'G' line and the 'ZA' line are two competing high-end lines with mutually exclusive naming.

Aug 28, 2013 at 06:10 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.3 #4 · Zeiss 16-70 f4 for NEX

But not all Gs are created equal, so many Minoltans say...and is a G line part of a G string?

Sony have so many thoughts rattling around in their product development head, it is a good thing that every so often one of them is a good one. They will be a good company when they grow up in a few years time.

Aug 28, 2013 at 06:35 AM
lsquare
• • •
p.3 #5 · Zeiss 16-70 f4 for NEX

douglasf13 wrote:
I'm not saying they wouldn't be smaller. I'm saying that the difference in size won't be as tangible as it with wider angle lenses, so I can understand why they'd leave teles as the last hole to fill in. Agreed, though, if we're talking about f4 zooms.

Considering that Sony have a 10-18mm UWA that's f/4 and now the 16-70mm f/4, it's reasonable to conclude that they'll go with f/4 for their high grade telephoto lens. It is a bit perplexing why it went with a Zeiss branding for the 16-70mm lens, but not the 10-18mm lens.

In the long run, if there is demand, I think it's possible for them to make a f/2.8 lens, but then again that be a big lens and it would probably make sense to leave that in the domain of FF cameras. Or Sony can always implement a tripod mount on the f/2.8 lenses.

Aug 28, 2013 at 07:40 AM
lsquare
• • •
p.3 #6 · Zeiss 16-70 f4 for NEX

Sagar wrote:
I wonder where is the size advantage and why I should buy E-Mount vs say Canon SL1

Uh, Canon lenses are going to be bigger and heavier.

Aug 28, 2013 at 07:41 AM
lsquare
• • •
p.3 #7 · Zeiss 16-70 f4 for NEX

freaklikeme wrote:
My guess is that the zoom is APS-C only. If it were that small and intended for a FF sensor, I'm pretty sure they would've held the release until such a camera was available (and made a much bigger deal over their engineering miracle).

The Touits are produced by Zeiss. This is a Zeiss-branded Sony lens.

I'm pretty sure this is going to be APS-C only. It seems way too small to fit a FF camera. FF lenses will be bigger and heavier. There's no way around it.

Aug 28, 2013 at 07:42 AM
lsquare
• • •
p.3 #8 · Zeiss 16-70 f4 for NEX

philip_pj wrote:
I can't see it even coming close to covering FF, and the specs gives some serious hope for the NEX FF lenses.

Joan, 'ZA' is Sony speak for 'designed by Zeiss for us to our broad level functional specification, but we commissioned it and manufactured it'... but it is confused by including A in the ZA, whereas its proper designation is 'SEL' meaning for E mount. All clear? good, you will be given a short test soon ;-)

'"Shut up and take my money!" quality.' Earns a big like from me.

I agree. Even if Sony doesn't have a new generation of NEX FF lenses available at launch, it's surely going to support the A-mount lenses. I don't see how or why Sony would start fresh for their FF cameras. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I do hope that Sony will follow Canon's footstep and make f/4 version of their f/2.8 lenses. Not everyone needs f/2.8 and I do like smaller and lighter lenses.

Aug 28, 2013 at 07:45 AM
alundeb
• • • •
p.3 #9 · Zeiss 16-70 f4 for NEX

lsquare wrote:
It is a bit perplexing why it went with a Zeiss branding for the 16-70mm lens, but not the 10-18mm lens.

I find it reassuring with respect to the 16-70.
The 10-18 is good but not that great, and it has serious amounts of CA, more than would be tolerated by Zeiss quality standards today.

Aug 28, 2013 at 07:45 AM
snapsy
• • • •
p.3 #10 · Zeiss 16-70 f4 for NEX

alundeb wrote:
The 10-18 is good but not that great, and it has serious amounts of CA, more than would be tolerated by Zeiss quality standards today.

hmmm, my 10-18 is not far behind my Nikon 14-24, at least at the wide end. And my 5N+10-18mm weighs exactly 1 pound, which no system can match in terms of weight+IQ.

Aug 28, 2013 at 08:14 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

alundeb
• • • •
p.3 #11 · Zeiss 16-70 f4 for NEX

snapsy wrote:
hmmm, my 10-18 is not far behind my Nikon 14-24, at least at the wide end. And my 5N+10-18mm weighs exactly 1 pound, which no system can match in terms of weight+IQ.

Agree on the unmatched combo for weight+IQ with a WA zoom on the NEX5N, still the CA is on the high side.

On the NEX7, I found the center to be very sharp, but it was not as good towards the edges. The 5N has a more forgiving sensor, due to the lower resolution and better angle sensitivity.

But if the 10-18 should earn a Zeiss approval, the 18-55 kit lens also should

Another killer WA combo for weight+IQ is the D800E + Nikon 18-35 G. The lens is 'only' 385g, and we are talking about really another quality level here.

Aug 28, 2013 at 08:25 AM
Snopchenko
• • • •
p.3 #12 · Zeiss 16-70 f4 for NEX

Taylor Sherman wrote:
Let's see how good it is!

But yeah, I'm pretty sure they're committed to E-mount. If it actually works well for full-frame (meaning mechanically, eg there won't be any issues with long telephotos clipping the corners of the frame because the mount is in the way), I wouldn't be too surprised if they planned to transition away from A-mount entirely. Over the next 5 or 10 years, at least.

I remember someone finding that E mount is the same as Nikon F mount mechanically, so a few "dumb" accessories like bellows work seamlessly. So the question of whether it is FF compatible in itself is answered.

Aug 28, 2013 at 09:00 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.3 #13 · Zeiss 16-70 f4 for NEX

lsquare wrote:
Considering that Sony have a 10-18mm UWA that's f/4 and now the 16-70mm f/4, it's reasonable to conclude that they'll go with f/4 for their high grade telephoto lens. It is a bit perplexing why it went with a Zeiss branding for the 16-70mm lens, but not the 10-18mm lens.

Your question assumes that ZA lenses are Sony lenses with Zeiss branding, but the reality is more complicated than that. ZA lenses are designed by Carl Zeiss for Sony, with the electronic parts and AF mechanisms designed by Sony engineers, and are manufactured in Japan under licence for Sony. The 10-18 lens is not Zeiss branded because it's not designed by Carl Zeiss. Nothing perplexing here

Aug 28, 2013 at 09:20 AM
TMaG82
• •
p.3 #14 · Zeiss 16-70 f4 for NEX

sflxn wrote:
I won't argue with the gizmo-esque quality of m43. They do appeal to the gadget nerds in all of us. However, for some of us, it comes down to IQ and handling. For those two points, I still prefer NEX over Fuji X and m43. I do hope Sony ups their game on the higher end NEX. It does frustrates me that Sony comes out with minor releases of the NEX 3 and 5 every year, and there is no signs of an updated NEX 7. With NEX, Sony has been even more conservatively incremental than Canon has been with
...Show more

I do agree that everyone has different priorities and it changes constantly. Previously I was all about IQ, I dabbles in Canon and Nikon FF systems, I had the RX1 on 2 different occasions. For me at least right now I want speed, convenience, and the tools to make the job fun. Every camera has its quirks and no doubt will have things that make you want to scratch your head. The convenience of having a touch screen for AF, the smaller size thus smaller lenses to handle, the quick and accurate AF, etc re what makes me choose m4/3 right now, I tried the Fuji X series and I couldn't get past the sluggish AF and while the photog in me appreciated the manual control, I was looking for quicker execution. The NEX had the great Zeiss 24 at the time but was lacking in both the lenses and some of the convenient extras and I found it missing focus more than I would like.

For me the trade off in IQ is ok. I don't need to shoot at ultra shallow DoF, in fact it made shooting with the RX1 a little more difficult for me since shooting at f2 would be a little more difficult for me to get precise focus. The m4/3 combined with the 1.4 and even the .95 lenses allow me to get bokeh when I need.

I know my needs may change when I need DSLR speed AF in a few years or when I want FF-NEX type IQ. but right now I'm having a blast with m4/3 and may end up with both the rangefinder style, gimmicky GX7 as well as the pro built, E-M1. My wife sure wont be happy then.

Edited on Aug 28, 2013 at 01:07 PM · View previous versions

Aug 28, 2013 at 11:05 AM
RobCD
• •
p.3 #15 · Zeiss 16-70 f4 for NEX

alundeb wrote:
Agree on the unmatched combo for weight+IQ with a WA zoom on the NEX5N, still the CA is on the high side.

On the NEX7, I found the center to be very sharp, but it was not as good towards the edges. The 5N has a more forgiving sensor, due to the lower resolution and better angle sensitivity.

But if the 10-18 should earn a Zeiss approval, the 18-55 kit lens also should

Another killer WA combo for weight+IQ is the D800E + Nikon 18-35 G. The lens is 'only' 385g, and we are talking about really another quality level here.

In my opinion the NEX 7 is not the camera to evaluate the 10-18 with the known issues with WA lenses including the 10-18. The 10-18 is excellent on the NEX 6 and my guess/hope is that Sony will have worked out the issues with the NEX 7 upgrade as well. Even with the issues though the 10-18 is not bad at all on the 7.

Aug 28, 2013 at 12:52 PM
lsquare
• • •
p.3 #16 · Zeiss 16-70 f4 for NEX

alundeb wrote:
I find it reassuring with respect to the 16-70.

Well, according to the reviews, it's one of the top UWA lenses for any CSCs out there.

Aug 28, 2013 at 12:59 PM
philber
• • • • •
p.3 #17 · Zeiss 16-70 f4 for NEX

RobCD wrote:
In my opinion the NEX 7 is not the camera to evaluate the 10-18 with the known issues with WA lenses including the 10-18.

I respectfully beg to differ. The Zeiss Touit 12 has no issues on the NEX 7, which shows it can be done. And it's not like the Sony 10-18 is much cheaper than the Zeiss either. That doesn't mean I'm not hoping that the 7 successor is not improved, but...

Aug 28, 2013 at 01:00 PM
inglis
• •
p.3 #18 · Zeiss 16-70 f4 for NEX

Oh my the 16-70 4 will provide a thick handle for Nex 5x cameras!
http://ichie-inc.blog.so-net.ne.jp/2013-08-28-4

Aug 28, 2013 at 01:03 PM
TMaG82
• •
p.3 #19 · Zeiss 16-70 f4 for NEX

inglis wrote:

It looks really nice on the NEX-6, a little large on the 5's. I wonder what happened to the whole thing about them dropping the Carl from Carl Zeiss and just labeling the lens ZEISS?

Aug 28, 2013 at 01:09 PM
lsquare
• • •
p.3 #20 · Zeiss 16-70 f4 for NEX

inglis wrote:

Given how small the NEX cameras are, I do wish that Sony would provide tripod collars for their lenses to provide the ultimate stability for long exposures.

Aug 28, 2013 at 02:21 PM
1       2      
       4       5       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password